Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Piping in UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Piping in UNIX Post 302118583 by simo007 on Wednesday 23rd of May 2007 02:40:45 AM
Old 05-23-2007
Piping in UNIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
awk -F, '{ for(i=1; i< NF; i++) 
               if(i%30 == 0 ) {printf("%s\n", $i) }
               else  {printf("%s,",$i) } 
             END {print "" }
           ' | \
while read parms
do
      Tole -c "$parms" 
done >> result.csv

Can someone tell me if I need to be logged in as root and explain what the commands mean?
Thank you,
Adam

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping

I am using pipes (specifically piping out) in Perl to put an array from one file into an array in a different file. I can't figure out how to transfer the array. I kow how to open the pipe : open (FILEHANDLE, "| file") or die~ but how do I transfer the array. I think it has something to do with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lnatz
1 Replies

2. Programming

Help with piping program

Hi, I am trying to write a program that will pipe any number of programs together like in the linux shell. As an example, the below code tries to execute "cat data | grep int | cut -b 1-10." The problem is that the programs never get executed for some reason. It seems like the first program... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PuppyHusher
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping / Executing

I've got a file with lots of commands I want to run in it. They're formatted like so: cp /path/to/file /path/to/new/file and on and on and on. Hundreds of them. Anyways, I'd like to execute them one at a time, then check what time it is, and repeat this process until 7am. I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProFiction
3 Replies

4. Programming

Java with Unix (Redirection + Piping)

Hi, To explain this question I will have to go into a bit of detail. I hope you don't mind. currently I have a log handler (an already compiled c++ version) and what it does is makes a log file and writes all the unix output (echo, etc) of a script to that log file. To me the log_handler is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluke_perf
3 Replies

5. Programming

piping from C to python in UNIX

Hi, I'm trying to wrap my head around piping in C - I've got a small C program that forks and pipes stuff from the child process to the parent process. Currently the child process calls a C program that squirts out random numbers which then pipes the result to the parent process. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dreams in Blue
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping GREP

Hi, I need to use a double grep so to speak. I need to grep for a particular item say BOB and then for each successful result I need to grep for another item say SMITH. I tried grep "BOB" filename | grep "SMITH" but it does not seem to work. I can achieve my desired result using an... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping Unix Variable Array values into AWK

#ksh Here is my code: ERRORLIST="43032 12001 12002 12003 12004 34019 49015 49016 49017 49018 49024 49025 49026 58004 72003 12005 12006 12007 12008 12011 12012 16024 16023" for ERROR in ${ERRORLIST} do awk -v l="$lastdate" '/^....-..-../&&$0>l{d=$0}d&&/Error: '"${ERROR}"'/{print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k1ko
3 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Piping with grep

Hi everybody, I have a big file with blast results (if you know what this means, otherwise look at it just as a text file with a specific form). I am trying to extract some ids from within this file, which have certain parameters. For example, some Of my IDs have the term 'No hit results'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frymor
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit code from piping in unix shell script

Hi , I have following code in my shell script : "$TS_BIN/tranfrmr" "${TS_SETTINGS}/tranfrmr_p1.stx" "${TS_LOGS}/tranfrmr_p1.err" | ( "$TS_BIN/cusparse" "${TS_SETTINGS}/cusparse_p2.stx" "${TS_LOGS}/cusparse_p2.err" | ( "$TS_BIN/tsqsort" "${TS_SETTINGS}/srtforpm_p3.stx"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
8 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Unix Piping Problem

Hey guys. I'm very new to Unix. I'm pretty fluent in Java and C, but I have never actually used Unix for anything. I am in an Operating Systems course now and I have an assignment to write a piece of code that involves forks and piping. I'm stuck. 1. The problem statement, all variables and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjimmy91
6 Replies
Net::Server::Proto::UNIX(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Net::Server::Proto::UNIX(3)

NAME
Net::Server::Proto::UNIX - Net::Server UNIX protocol. SYNOPSIS
See Net::Server::Proto. DESCRIPTION
Protocol module for Net::Server. This module implements the UNIX SOCK_STREAM socket type. See Net::Server::Proto. Any sockets created during startup will be chown'ed to the user and group specified in the starup arguments. PARAMETERS
The following paramaters may be specified in addition to normal command line parameters for a Net::Server. See Net::Server for more information on reading arguments. unix_type Can be either SOCK_STREAM or SOCK_DGRAM (default is SOCK_STREAM). This can also be passed on the port line (see Net::Server::Proto). However, this method is deprecated. If you want SOCK_STREAM - just use proto UNIX without any other arguments. If you'd like SOCK_DGRAM, use the new proto UNIXDGRAM. METHODS
NS_unix_path/NS_unix_type In addition to the standard NS_ methods of Net::Server::Proto classes, the UNIX types also have legacy calls to NS_unix_path and NS_unix_type. Since version 2.000, NS_unix_path is simply an alias to NS_port. NS_unix_type is now redundant with NS_proto. These methods were missing between version 2.000 and 2.003 but have been returned as legacy bridges. QUICK PARAMETER LIST
Key Value Default # deprecated UNIX socket parameters unix_type (SOCK_STREAM|SOCK_DGRAM) SOCK_STREAM port "filename" undef # more recent usage port "filename / UNIX" port "filename / UNIXDGRAM" LICENCE
Distributed under the same terms as Net::Server perl v5.18.2 2012-06-06 Net::Server::Proto::UNIX(3)