Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting only uppercase first character? Post 302118504 by Shell_Life on Tuesday 22nd of May 2007 11:57:19 AM
Old 05-22-2007
Code:
## Following extract the first initial character only:
sed 's/\(.\).*/\1/' input_file > $$FirstChar

## Following extract from the second character on:
sed 's/.\(.*\)/\1/' input_file > $$OtherChars

## Following changes the first character to upper case:
tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]' < $$FirstChar > $$UpperChar

## Following paste together the upper case character and
## the other characters:
paste -d'\0' $$UpperChar $$OtherChars

## Following removes temporary files:
rm -f $$*

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting to Uppercase

I want to convert string into uppercase string. How can i do that ? Ex: Enter the user name: read name show=upper(name) echo $show --- This output should be the uppercase output. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion to uppercase - tr

Hi, I am trying to convert the $i in loop from lower to upper case but getting error like ' awk: 0602-502 The statement cannot be correctly parsed. The source line is 1.' .. Requirement: I have many table in script XXX.sql which starting with 'ABC_','AbC_','aBc_' etc.. same thing for table... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrat
2 Replies

3. AIX

Lowercase to Uppercase

Inside a script I have 2 variables COMP=cy and PT=t. further down the same script I require at the same line to call those 2 variables the first time uppercase and after lowercase ${COMP}${PT}ACE,${COMP}${PT}ace. Can somebody help me Thanks in advance George Govotsis (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggovotsis
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uppercase to lowercase

i have no variable and no file i just want to convert AJIT to ajit with some command in UNIX can anybody help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajit.yadav83
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UPPERCASE to lowercase

Hi All, i have a file and i want to convert all uppercase letters to lowercase letters which are in my file. how can i do this. Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: temhem
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uppercase/lowercase comparison of one character per line with awk??

Another frustrating scripting problem from a biologist trying to manipulate a file with several millions line. For each of the line I need to compare the uppercase A or C or G or T with the lowercase a or c or g or t. If there are more uppercases, a + should be added to a new column, otherwise a -... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to uppercase

Hi I have a string(can be mix of upper and lower case) and need the first three chars of the string to be converted to uppercase (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Northpole
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make the first character uppercase

Input: hello world monkey Output should be: Hello World Monkey How can it be done with perl,sed,awk or bash? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

making the first character of word using uppercase using awk and sed

I want to make the first character of some words to be uppercase. I have a file like the one below. uid,givenname,sn,cn,mail,telephonenumber mattj,matt,johnson,matt johnson,mattj@gmail.com markv,mark,vennet,matt s vennet,markv@gmail.com mikea,mike,austi,mike austin,mike@gmail.com I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matt12
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uppercase to lowercase

Hello, I have a list of files in a directory whose names are all in uppercasse, including the file format for eg *.MP3 . I would like to convert these to the normal way we write it ie ABC.MP3 to be converted to Abc.mp3 . I know that this can be done manually by using a lot of "mv" or rename... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
6 Replies
ISWUPPER(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       ISWUPPER(3)

NAME
iswupper - test for uppercase wide character SYNOPSIS
#include <wctype.h> int iswupper(wint_t wc); DESCRIPTION
The iswupper function is the wide-character equivalent of the isupper function. It tests whether wc is a wide character belonging to the wide character class "upper". The wide character class "upper" is a subclass of the wide character class "alpha", and therefore also a subclass of the wide character class "alnum", of the wide character class "graph" and of the wide character class "print". Being a subclass of the wide character class "print", the wide character class "upper" is disjoint from the wide character class "cntrl". Being a subclass of the wide character class "graph", the wide character class "upper" is disjoint from the wide character class "space" and its subclass "blank". Being a subclass of the wide character class "alnum", the wide character class "upper" is disjoint from the wide character class "punct". Being a subclass of the wide character class "alpha", the wide character class "upper" is disjoint from the wide character class "digit". The wide character class "upper" contains at least those characters wc which are equal to towupper(wc) and different from towlower(wc). The wide character class "upper" always contains at least the letters 'A' to 'Z'. RETURN VALUE
The iswupper function returns non-zero if wc is a wide character belonging to the wide character class "upper". Otherwise it returns zero. CONFORMING TO
ISO/ANSI C, UNIX98 SEE ALSO
isupper(3), iswctype(3), towupper(3) NOTES
The behaviour of iswupper depends on the LC_CTYPE category of the current locale. This function is not very appropriate for dealing with Unicode characters, because Unicode knows about three cases: upper, lower and title case. GNU
1999-07-25 ISWUPPER(3)