Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need Help to Reboot to Mac OS X Post 302118250 by philomaximus on Monday 21st of May 2007 12:00:47 AM
Old 05-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
1. So shutdown works and a restart takes you back to a console?

2. Does this take you to a login prompt or straight in with the command prompt?

3. try ps ax

4. To get your files off I suggest you package them up as a tar file and ftp them to another box eg...

cd $HOME
tar cf /tmp/my.tar *
cd /tmp
ftp another-host
binary
put my.tar

5. then install the OS from scratch, in your case borrow a DVD drive from another machine.
Shutdown worked. Reboot was simply rebooting back to the unix prompt. I installed the OS from scratch and that seems to have worked. I still have no idea how I got into Unix to start with and why I couldn't get it back to OS X. But I'm just glad it's back. I've learned a little about Unix though Smilie Thanks for all the help!

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

different between soft reboot and hard reboot

Hi Guru's Can any want here could explain to me the different between soft reboot and hard reboot . Best Regards Seelan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seelan3
3 Replies

2. BSD

MAC at @reboot, like some cellphone

I want to change my MAC at reboot, so making it a cron job like the following in BSD. Can I do this in the jail for the user, setting it as a command or should it be a script? I would set it as a command openssl rand -hex 6 | sed 's/\(..)/\1:/g; s/.$//' just to test it, it works. To... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
0 Replies
HALT(8) 							       halt								   HALT(8)

NAME
halt, poweroff, reboot - Halt, power-off or reboot the machine SYNOPSIS
halt [OPTIONS...] poweroff [OPTIONS...] reboot [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
halt, poweroff, reboot may be used to halt, power-off or reboot the machine. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --help Prints a short help text and exits. --halt Halt the machine, regardless of which one of the three commands is invoked. -p, --poweroff Power-off the machine, regardless of which one of the three commands is invoked. --reboot Reboot the machine, regardless of which one of the three commands is invoked. -f, --force Force immediate halt, power-off, reboot. Do not contact the init system. -w, --wtmp-only Only write wtmp shutdown entry, do not actually halt, power-off, reboot. -d, --no-wtmp Do not write wtmp shutdown entry. --no-wall Do not send wall message before halt, power-off, reboot. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. NOTES
These are legacy commands available for compatibility only. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), shutdown(8), wall(1) systemd 208 HALT(8)