Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need Help to Reboot to Mac OS X Post 302118223 by porter on Sunday 20th of May 2007 05:34:24 PM
Old 05-20-2007
1. So shutdown works and a restart takes you back to a console?

2. Does this take you to a login prompt or straight in with the command prompt?

3. try ps ax

4. To get your files off I suggest you package them up as a tar file and ftp them to another box eg...

cd $HOME
tar cf /tmp/my.tar *
cd /tmp
ftp another-host
binary
put my.tar

5. then install the OS from scratch, in your case borrow a DVD drive from another machine.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

different between soft reboot and hard reboot

Hi Guru's Can any want here could explain to me the different between soft reboot and hard reboot . Best Regards Seelan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seelan3
3 Replies

2. BSD

MAC at @reboot, like some cellphone

I want to change my MAC at reboot, so making it a cron job like the following in BSD. Can I do this in the jail for the user, setting it as a command or should it be a script? I would set it as a command openssl rand -hex 6 | sed 's/\(..)/\1:/g; s/.$//' just to test it, it works. To... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
0 Replies
macptopbm(1)                                                  General Commands Manual                                                 macptopbm(1)

NAME
macptopbm - convert a MacPaint file into a portable bitmap SYNOPSIS
macptopbm [-extraskip N] [macpfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a MacPaint file as input. Produces a portable bitmap as output. OPTIONS
-extraskip This flag is to get around a problem with some methods of transferring files from the Mac world to the Unix world. Most of these methods leave the Mac files alone, but a few of them add the "finderinfo" data onto the front of the Unix file. This means an extra 128 bytes to skip over when reading the file. The symptom to watch for is that the resulting PBM file looks shifted to one side. If you get this, try -extraskip 128, and if that still doesn't look right try another value. All flags can be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix. SEE ALSO
picttoppm(1), pbmtomacp(1), pbm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1988 by Jef Poskanzer. The MacPaint-reading code is copyright (c) 1987 by Patrick J. Naughton (naughton@wind.sun.com). 29 March 1989 macptopbm(1)