Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need Help to Reboot to Mac OS X Post 302118184 by philomaximus on Saturday 19th of May 2007 11:14:20 PM
Old 05-20-2007
Error Need Help to Reboot to Mac OS X

Hello. Somehow I got out of my gui Mac OS 10.2 into Unix single-user mode. No matter what I've tried, I can't get out of Unix. I've tried the command "reboot" with no success. I've tried a safe boot, an X boot, and a couple of others and nothing seems to work. I can use the Unix commands to determine that my files are all still intact, but I can't get to them. I would try simply re-installing the OS, but my dvd drive door won't open. Does anyone have any suggestions? (If it would help, I could go through a step by step to tell you what happened before it went Unix, but it's a long story and may not help. If you think it will, let me know and I'll give details.) Thanks to anyone who can help.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

different between soft reboot and hard reboot

Hi Guru's Can any want here could explain to me the different between soft reboot and hard reboot . Best Regards Seelan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seelan3
3 Replies

2. BSD

MAC at @reboot, like some cellphone

I want to change my MAC at reboot, so making it a cron job like the following in BSD. Can I do this in the jail for the user, setting it as a command or should it be a script? I would set it as a command openssl rand -hex 6 | sed 's/\(..)/\1:/g; s/.$//' just to test it, it works. To... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
0 Replies
REBOOT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot - stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
/sbin/reboot [ -lqnhdarsfRD ] /sbin/halt [ -lqndars ] /sbin/fastboot [ -lqndarsRD ] DESCRIPTION
2.11BSD is started by placing it in memory at location zero and transferring to its entry point. Since the system is not reentrant, it is necessary to read it in from disk or tape each time it is to be boot strapped. Rebooting a running system: When the system is running and a reboot is desired, shutdown(8) is normally used to stop time sharing and put the system into single user mode. If there are no users then /sbin/reboot can be used without shutting the system down first. Reboot normally causes the disks to be synced and allows the system to perform other shutdown activities such as resynchronizing hardware time-of-day clocks. A multi-user reboot (as described below) is then initiated. This causes a system to be booted and an automatic disk check to be performed. If all this succeeds without incident, the system is then brought up for multi-user operation. Options to reboot are: -l Don't try to tell syslogd(8) what's about to happen. -q Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. -n Don't sync before rebooting. This can be used if a disk or the processor is on fire. -h Don't reboot, simply halt the processor. -d Dump memory onto the dump device, usually part of swap, before rebooting. The dump is done in the same way as after a panic. -a Have the system booter ask for the name of the system to be booted, rather than immediately booting the default system (/unix). -r Mount the root file system as read only when the system reboots. This is not supported by the kernel in 2.11BSD. -s Don't enter multi-user mode after system has rebooted - stay in single user mode. -f Fast reboot. Omit the automatic file system consistency check when the system reboots and goes multi-user. This is accomplished by passing a fast reboot flag on to the rebooting kernel. This currently prevents the use of -f flag in conjunction with the -h (halt) flag. -D Set the autoconfig(8) debug flag. This is normally not used unless one is debugging the autoconfig program. -R Tells the kernel to use the compiled in root device. Normally the system uses the device from which it was booted as the root/swap/pipe/dump device. Reboot normally places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /usr/adm/wtmp. This is inhibited if the -q or -n options are present. Note that the -f (fast reboot) and -n (don't sync) options are contradictory; the request for a fast reboot is ignored in this case. Halt and fastboot are synonymous with ``reboot -h'' and ``reboot -f'', respectively. Power fail and crash recovery: Normally, the system will reboot itself at power-up or after crashes if the contents of low memory are intact. An automatic consistency check of the file systems will be performed, and unless this fails, the system will resume multi-user operations. SEE ALSO
autoconfig(8), sync(2), utmp(8), shutdown(8), syslogd(8) 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 24, 1996 REBOOT(8)