Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running Sed on a file.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running Sed on a file. Post 302118159 by vgersh99 on Saturday 19th of May 2007 09:16:27 AM
Old 05-19-2007
Code:
sed 's/http//' "${file}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running sed inside script file

i am substituting some text in the xml file using sed, on shell directly it works fine, but when i run it inside script file, it say, the function cant be parsed, i think the prob is due to xml file, kindly help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bajaj111
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command not running

I am using solrais 10 on sun sparc. The following command executes successfully echo c:/test.txt | sed -e 's/\//\\\//g' But when i executes the following command x=`echo c:/test.txt | sed -e 's/\//\\\//g'` I get the following error sed: command garbled: s/\//\\//g Is there any way to avoid... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmunir
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running sed commands

Hello I need to run some sed commands but it involves "/" in the substitute or delete, any ideas how I get round the problem. Example: cat file1.txt | sed -e '/</Header>/d' > file2.txt This errors due to the forward slash before the Header text. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make my own file as a running log file in bash

Hi, I have written a small script from that iam appending the output to a file.If multiple users invoke the same script or if i invoke the same script n number of times (using &), the output file(ZZ/OUT) contains messup information. #!/bin/bash # echo "Hello" >> /tmp/ZZ/OUT sleep 10 echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blrguest
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making use of multiple cores for running sed and awk scripts

Hi All, After reading that the sort command in Linux can be made to use many processor cores just by using a simple script which I found on the internet, I was wondering if I can use similar techniques for programs like the awk and sed? #!/bin/bash # Usage: psort filename <chunksize>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running sed and counting number of lines processed

/bin/sed -n ';4757335,$ p' | wc -l /bin/sed -n ';4757335,$ p' | egrep "Failed" | egrep -c "PM late arrrival" how can i combine the above two sed commands into one? i want to count the number of lines between the specified line number and the end of the file. AND and i want to count how many... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with SUNOS running sed scripts

Hi I probably dont have GNU extended sed in my SUNOS . and its creating lot of problems ex: a simple sed command like this is not working sed '/WORD/ a\ sample text line 1 \ sample text line 1 ' filename sed: command garbled: /WORD/ a I took precaution to have a new line after... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vash
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running sed from a script query

Hello! I'm trying to run this code to print the body of an html document (all text in between <body> and </body>) from a script but am unsure how to call it from the command line interface. /<body>/,/<\/body>/ 1s/.*<body>// $s/<\/body>.*//p I have tried to call it using this: sed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bgnersoon2be#1
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

GNU sed running on Mac

Super basic question. I installed sed GNU on a MAC running High Sierra. However, when I run sed '1i>sometext, I get the following error: sed: 1: "1isometext"; command i expects \ followed by text I have added the \ with no success. Is there anyway I can run sed and awk on MAC in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
5 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -exEX3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 The -E and -X are similar to -e and -x, respectively, but treat overlapping changes (i.e., changes that would be flagged with ==== in the normal listing) differently. The overlapping lines from both files will be inserted by the edit script, bracketed by "<<<<<<" and ">>>>>>" lines. For example, suppose lines 7-8 are changed in both file1 and file2. Applying the edit script generated by the command "diff3 -E file1 file2 file3" to file1 results in the file: lines 1-6 of file1 <<<<<<< file1 lines 7-8 of file1 ======= lines 7-8 of file3 >>>>>>> file3 rest of file1 The -E option is used by RCS merge(1) to insure that overlapping changes in the merged files are preserved and brought to someone's atten- tion. FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/libexec/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. 7th Edition October 21, 1996 DIFF3(1)