Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl: simple question on string append Post 302117478 by the_learner on Monday 14th of May 2007 04:53:16 PM
Old 05-14-2007
perl: simple question on string append

I want to append a decimal number to a string. But I want to restrict the number to only 2 decimal points

for e.g:

my $output = "\n The number is = ";
my $number = 2.3333333;

$output = $output . $number;

But I want the $output as: "The number is = 2.33"; and not 2.3333333

(I do not want to print $output right now.. I just want it to have the number with only 2 decimal points)

can anyone please helpout..

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

simple question on string concat

This is a simple question... char *str = NULL; int num = 0; scanf ("%d", &num); str = ??? I want str to point to the string num.txt For e.g: If user enters num = 5, str should point to "5.txt" How do I do that ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: simple comparing arrays question

Hi there, i have been trying different methods and i wonder if somebody could explain to me how i would perform a comparison on two arrays for example my @array1 = ("gary" ,"peter", "paul"); my @array2 = ("gary" ,"peter", "joe"); I have two arrays above, and i want to something like this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple perl question

I am totally new to perl. I am modifying someone else's script. I have the following output: # ./some-perlscript A B C D E B - E, is generated through the print command that I put in the script. I want to remove A, it seems it is generated automatically by a custom OS it is querying when... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to append a string to next line in perl

hi all , i have a requirement like this.. this just a sample script... $ cat test.sh #!/bin/bash perl -e ' open(IN,"addrss"); open(out,">>addrss"); @newval; while (<IN>) { @col_val=split(/:/); if ($.==1) { for($i=0;$i<=$#col_val;$i++) { ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tprayush
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Question about Reading file by Perl

Hi , I just write a simple function to read the file line by line. But when I run it it says out of memory. I am not sure about the root cause, Can someone help me out of this? :D #! /usr/bin/perl use strict; sub checkAPs{ my $NDPDir = "/home/eweiqqu/NCB/NDP_files/"; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Damon_Qu
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append a string on the next line after a pattern string is found

Right now, my code is: s/Secondary Ins./Secondary Ins.\ 1/g It's adding a 1 as soon as it finds Secondary Ins. Primary Ins.: MEDICARE B DMERC Secondary Ins. 1: CONTINENTAL LIFE INS What I really want to achieve is having a 1 added on the next line that contain "Secondary Ins." It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Perl question

Hello, I'm completely new to Perl and I'm just looking for a quick answer to some code I'm trying to come up with. I'm trying to access a website, part of the URL I want the user to be able to define via standard input. As you can see below I'm still trying to get the syntax. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxornot
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl String Replacement Syntax Question . . .

Greetings! I've been tooling about with Perl to make a few string replacements in some files; and seem to have run into a bit of a squeeze :) Beginning with a simple text file, test.txt, we have the following content to be worked:Now, not wanting to have anyone feel left out, I decided that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
6 Replies
hppac(3X)																 hppac(3X)

NAME
hppac: HPPACADDD(), HPPACCMPD(), HPPACCVAD(), HPPACCVBD(), HPPACCVDA(), HPPACCVDB(), HPPACDIVD(), HPPACLONGDIVD(), HPPACMPYD(), HPPAC- NSLD(), HPPACSLD(), HPPACSRD(), HPPACSUBD() - HP 3000-mode packed-decimal library SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
This set of calls invokes the library functions for emulating 3000-mode (MPE V/E) packed-decimal operations. These functions are in library which is searched when the option is used with or ld(1). Performs packed-decimal addition. Compares two packed-decimal numbers. Converts an ASCII representation to packed-decimal. Converts a binary representation to packed-decimal. Converts a packed-decimal number to ASCII. Converts a packed-decimal number to binary. Performs packed-decimal division. Performs packed-decimal division (alternate routine). Performs packed-decimal multiplication. Performs a packed-decimal normalizing left shift. Performs a packed-decimal left shift. Performs a packed-decimal right shift. Performs packed-decimal subtraction. For all operations, the value returned in the variable to which the compcode argument points is one of the following values of type Result > 0 or operand1 > operand2 Result < 0 or operand1 < operand2 Result == 0 or operand1 == operand2 For all operations, the value returned in the variable to which the pacstatus argument points is one of the following values of type Their meanings are intended to be obvious: AUTHOR The HPPAC library was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
PA-RISC Systems Only hppac(3X)