Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: using Grep with a tab
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers using Grep with a tab Post 302116216 by Shell_Life on Wednesday 2nd of May 2007 10:46:34 AM
Old 05-02-2007
Adriel, just type the <TAB> in between the two strings.
It works for me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep tab

I want to grep "xxx(tab)iii" but dunno the way to do it. I've tried : grep "xxx\tiii" * , but it dont works. Is there anyone that can help me? :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to grep for blank records (space,tab,/n)?

I want to exclude (-v) blank records from a file before analysing it. I know I can use '^]$' for spaces and tabs but how do you look for lines that have nothing (/n or line feed) ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why the <tab> could be not recognized in grep and sed?

I try to remove empty lines from file and use next: > cat fl.dat|grep -v '^*$' or cat fl.dat|sed '/^*$/d' 'grep' does not removes lines with tabs, 'sed' - lines with <tab> and with <spc> Why it could be? Is there any option/env-var should I check? Thank you Alex (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else

Hi Guys, I need to set the value of $7 to zero in case $7 is NULL. I've tried the below command but doesn't work. Any ideas. thanks guys. MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else { print $7}}' ` Harby. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

to parse (or grep) a number from a datafile and write it to tab limited file

Hi All, I have a folder that contain 100's of subfolders namely: Main folder -> GHFG - Subfoders ->10 100 234 102 345 .. .. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove tab

Hi, I have a file and it is tab delimited. I have to remove the tab and add space after the string "GET" if tab it exists. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab delimited file that is not tab delimited.

Hi Forum I have a tab delimited file that opens well in Openoffice calc (excel). But when I perform any operation in command line, it reads the file incorrectly. When I 'save As' the same file in office as tab delimited then it works fine. The file that I think is tab delimited is actually... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: imlearning
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep solutions tab-delimited file

Hello, I am trying to find a solution to problem that's proving to be beyond my newbie skills. The below files comes from a genetics study. File 1 describes a position on the genome and file 2 does the same but is formatted differently and has more information. I am trying to match all lines in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andmal
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
xstr(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   xstr(1)

NAME
xstr - Extracts strings from C programs to implement shared strings SYNOPSIS
xstr [-c] [file | -] The xstr command maintains a file called strings into which strings in component parts of a large program are hashed. OPTIONS
Extracts strings from the specified file. DESCRIPTION
The strings extracted by xstr are replaced with references to this array. This serves to implement shared constant strings, most useful if they are also read-only. The following command extracts the strings from the C source in file, replacing string references by expressions of the form (&xstr[num- ber]) for some number. xstr -c file The xstr command uses file as input; the resulting C text is placed in the file x.c to then be compiled. The strings from this file are appended to the strings file if they are not there already. Repeated strings and strings that are suffixes of existing strings do not cause changes to the file. If a string is a suffix of another string in the file, but the shorter string is seen first by xstr, both strings are placed in the file strings. After all components of a large program are compiled, a file xs.c declaring the common xstr space can be created by a command of the fol- lowing form: xstr Compile and load this xs.c file with the rest of the program. Some C compilers may, by default, put strings in a read-only text section. The xstr command can also be used on a single file. The following command creates files x.c and xs.c as before, without using or affecting a strings file in the same directory. xstr file It may be useful to run xstr after the C preprocessor if any macro definitions yield strings or if there is conditional code that contains strings that may not be needed. The xstr command reads from its standard input when the argument - (dash) is given. An appropriate command sequence for running xstr after the C preprocessor is as follows: cc -E file.c | xstr -c - cc -c x.c mv x.o file.o The xstr command does not touch the file strings unless new items are added, thus make can avoid remaking xs.o unless truly necessary. EXAMPLES
To extract the strings from the C source in the file.c parameter, replacing string references by expressions of the form (&xstr[number]), enter: xstr -c file An appropriate declaration of the xstr array is prepended to file. The resulting C text is placed in the file x.c, to then be com- piled. To declare the common xstr array space in the xs.c file, enter: xstr FILES
File that contains the extracted strings. Modified C source. C source for definition of array xstr. Temporary file when the xstr command does not touch strings. SEE ALSO
Commands: mkstr(1) xstr(1)