Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Disk Mirror in Solaris 9 via Solaris Volume Manager Post 302116096 by deal732 on Tuesday 1st of May 2007 07:23:14 PM
Old 05-01-2007
Disk Mirror in Solaris 9 via Solaris Volume Manager

Hello,

I am trying to do mirror in solaris 9. I have total 0-7 disks

4 5 6 7
0 1 2 3

Drive 0 and Drive 4 = Boot Drives

Need to Mirror following drives.

Drive 1 and Drive 5 = Need to mirror

Drive 1 was mounted on: /prod1, /prod2, /prod3, /prod4, /prod5.

Then i have umount from /prod1----/prod5.

I have done following steps.

metadb -a -f /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s7
metadb -a -f /dev/dsk/c1t5d0s7

2)

metainit -f d100 1 1 c1t1d0s0
metainit -f d101 1 1 c1t5d0s0
metainit d0 -m d100
metattach d0 d101

3)

newfs /dev/md/rdsk/d0

4)

mount -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/d0 /prod1

Now, target 5 is submirror with target 1 mirror. Do i need to submirror drive 1 also, in order to mirror each other?

for example:

metainit -f d102 1 1 c1t5d0s0
metainit -f d103 1 1 c1t1d0s0
metainit d1 -m d102
metattach d1 d103

Let me know.

Thanks

Adeel

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to resize mirror volume in veritas volume manager 3.5 on Solaris 9 OE

Hi all, I have a problem with vxvm volume which is mirror with two disks. when i am try to increase file system, it is throwing an ERROR: can not allocate 5083938 blocks, ERROR: can not able to run vxassist on this volume. Please find a sutable solutions. Thanks and Regards B. Nageswar... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nageswarb
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Veritas volume manager in solaris.

Can you please let me know the certification code for veritas volume manager in solaris ? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris Volume Manager

Hello All, I have small doubt. It's related to SVM in solaris 10. I have created raid 0 (striping) using 3 slices of 500 MB size (default interlace value as 32KB) d2: Concat/Stripe ---- Interlace value is 32 KB Size: 2923830 blocks (1.4 GB) Stripe 0: (interlace: 64 blocks) Device Start... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhav.kanchan
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris Volume manager

Hi Friends, I have to migrate my raid-1 volume to raid -5 online. Can anyone please help me, If possible then send me the step by step commands for online migration. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris Volume Manager: Break Mirror and use to make a 2nd machine

Hello: I have a machine built on 2 drives and mirrors have been created to a second set of 2 drives (4 total) on the same platform. SVM. Might anyone provide guidance to create a second machine by breaking the mirrored set, moving the two mirrors (2) to another machine (same platform type),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 4dailyrunner
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VERITAS Volume Manager - mirror a disk/volume

I have a machine (5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210) that we are upgrading the storage and my task is to mirror what is already on the machine to the new disk. I have the disk, it is labeled and ready but I am not sure of the next steps to mirror the existing diskgroup and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rookieuxixsa
1 Replies

7. Solaris

root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10

Need a procedure document to do "root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10". I hope some one will help me asap. I need to do it production environment. Let me know if you need any deatils on this. Thanks, Rama (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% / ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% /... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

10. Solaris

solaris volume manager- stripe?

Hello Admins.. I am going through solaris volume manager guide for RAID-0 concatenation and stripes, I do not understand the concept of stripe from following example of concatenation. There is an eample for concatenation: # metainit d25 1 1 c0t1d0s2 d25: Concat/Stripe is setup the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
5 Replies
growfs(1M)						  System Administration Commands						growfs(1M)

NAME
growfs - non-destructively expand a UFS file system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/growfs [-M mount-point] [newfs-options] [raw-device] DESCRIPTION
growfs non-destructively expands a mounted or unmounted UNIX file system (UFS) to the size of the file system's slice(s). Typically, disk space is expanded by first adding a slice to a metadevice, then running the growfs command. When adding space to a mirror, you expand each submirror before expanding the file system. growfs will ``write-lock'' (see lockfs(1M)) a mounted file system when expanding. The length of time the file system is write-locked can be shortened by expanding the file system in stages. For instance, to expand a 1 Gbyte file system to 2 Gbytes, the file system can be grown in 16 Mbyte stages using the -s option to specify the total size of the new file system at each stage. The argument for -s is the number of sectors, and must be a multiple of the cylinder size. Note: The file system cannot be grown if a cylinder size of less than 2 is specified. Refer to the newfs(1M) man page for information on the options available when growing a file system. growfs displays the same information as mkfs during the expansion of the file system. If growfs is aborted, recover any lost free space by unmounting the file system and running the fsck command, or run the growfs command again. OPTIONS
Root privileges are required for all of the following options. -M mount-point The file system to be expanded is mounted on mount-point. File system locking (lockfs) will be used. newfs-options The options are documented in the newfs man page. raw-device Specifies the name of a raw metadevice or raw special device, residing in /dev/md/rdsk, or /dev/rdsk, respectively, including the disk slice, where you want the file system to be grown. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Expanding nonmetadevice slice for /export file system The following example expands a nonmetadevice slice for the /export file system. In this example, the existing slice, /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s3, is converted to a metadevice so additional slices can be concatenated. # metainit -f d8 2 1 c1t0d0s3 1 c2t0d0s3 # umount /export Example 2 Associate /export with new metadevice Edit the /etc/vfstab file to change the entry for /export to the newly defined metadevice, d8. # mount /export # growfs -M /export /dev/md/rdsk/d8 The first example starts by running the metainit command with the -f option to force the creation of a new concatenated metadevice d8, which consists of the existing slice /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s3 and a new slice /dev/dsk/c2t0d0s3. Next, the file system on /export must be unmounted. The /etc/vfstab file is edited to change the entry for /export to the newly defined metadevice name, rather than the slice name. After the file system is remounted, the growfs command is run to expand the file system. The file system will span the entire metadevice when growfs completes. The -M option enables the growfs command to expand a mounted file system. During the expansion, write access for /export is suspended until growfs unlocks the file system. Read access is not affected, though access times are not kept when the lock is in effect. Example 3 Dynamic Expansion of /export file system The following example picks up from the previous one. Here, the /export file system mounted on metadevice d8 is dynamically expanded. # metattach d8 c0t1d0s2 # growfs -M /export /dev/md/rdsk/d8 This example begins by using the metattach command to dynamically concatenate a new slice, /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s2, to the end of an existing metadevice, d8. Next, the growfs command specifies that the mount-point is /export and that it is to be expanded onto the raw metadevice /dev/md/rdsk/d8. The file system will span the entire metadevice when growfs completes. During the expansion, write access for /export is suspended until growfs unlocks the file system. Read access is not affected, though access times are not kept when the lock is in effect. Example 4 Expanding mounted file system to existing mirror The following example expands a mounted file system /files, to an existing mirror, d80, which contains two submirrors, d9 and d10. # metattach d9 c0t2d0s5 # metattach d10 c0t3d0s5 # growfs -M /files /dev/md/rdsk/d80 In this example, the metattach command dynamically concatenates the new slices to each submirror. The metattach command must be run for each submirror. The mirror will automatically grow when the last submirror is dynamically concatenated. The mirror will grow to the size of the smallest submirror. The growfs command then expands the file system. The growfs command specifies that the mount-point is /files and that it is to be expanded onto the raw metadevice /dev/md/rdsk/d80. The file system will span the entire mirror when the growfs command completes. During the expansion, write access for the file system is suspended until growfs unlocks the file system. Read access is not affected, though access times are not kept when the lock is in effect. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), lockfs(1M), mkfs(1M), metattach(1M), newfs(1M), attributes(5) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide LIMITATIONS
Only UFS file systems (either mounted or unmounted) can be expanded using the growfs command. Once a file system is expanded, it cannot be decreased in size. The following conditions prevent you from expanding file systems: When acct is activated and the accounting file is on the target device. When C2 security is activated and the logging file is on the target file system. When there is a local swap file in the target file system. When the file system is root (/), /usr, or swap. SunOS 5.11 9 Dec 2003 growfs(1M)