Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers a strange message when executing the sort command Post 302115500 by zazzybob on Wednesday 25th of April 2007 07:07:40 AM
Old 04-25-2007
It's doing exactly what it says - it's adding a newline to the end of your input file as one isn't there, e.g.
Code:
$ echo -n "foo" | sort
sort: warning: missing NEWLINE added at EOF
foo
$ echo "foo" | sort
foo

You can suppress this benign message by redirecting STDERR to /dev/null, or by appending a newline to your input file, e.g.:
Code:
$ ( gzip -dc ./file.gz; echo ) | sort
-or-
$ gzip -dc ./file.gz | sort 2>/dev/null

You can verify that the last line of your input file doesn't contain a newline with:
Code:
$ gzip -dc ./file.gz | tail -1 | od -c

Cheers,
ZB

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ed strange error message

When I start ed as regular user, following message is displayed: $ed ERROR: tempnam failed: Permission denied $ I think, following error produced in vi when search results from previous error: No previous regular expression Setting TMPDIR variable cause no effect. As root all works... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenki
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange error message with regex test...

Hi all, I have a script where i need to check the format of a string. finally, i'm waiting a "process name" and 2 numbers separated by a "," string like : "this_is_a_string.txt,1,10 should be ok" string ok : "apache.exe,1,10" string ok : "mysqld,50,0" string not ok : "ap ache,1,10"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fgilain
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error message while executing the shell script

Hi All, When I am trying to execute the below shell script I got this error message. script ========== #!/bin/bash /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_10/bin/java - classpath /var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin/mysql-connector-java-3.0.15-ga-bin.jar/: /var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin/jarfiles:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayyaduwanshi
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort command - strange behaviour

Hi guys, I have the following example data: A;00:00:19 B;00:01:02 C;00:00:13 D;00:00:16 E;00:02:27 F;00:00:12 G;00:00:21 H;00:00:19 I;00:00:13 J;00:13:22 I run the following sort against it, yet the output is as follows: sort -t";" +1 -nr example_data.dat A;00:00:19 (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: miwinter
16 Replies

5. AIX

Really strange unix message

We are getting this message on our AIX box. No one knows where its coming from. Where can I find any information on it? Warning: file system free space is less than 10 file system total size = -2621440 file system available space = 2485160 file system used space = -5106592 file system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: t01scra
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux sort command produces strange output

cat a .a ba .b bb .c bc sort a .a .b ba bb bc .c NOTE: .a and .b appears before ba and bb, where as .c appears after bc. In general (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajb
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am getting strange message when run borne shell script

I have a code: if then#{ process daily files for file in *_${Today}*.csv *_${Today}*.txt do if || then echo "This file will be processed in separate script" continue fi if ;then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Strange sort -r results

Hi Folks - I have this file that looks like this: outbox/logs/Client_1042.log outbox/logs/Client_941.log outbox/logs/Client_942.log outbox/logs/Client_943.log outbox/logs/Client_944.log And this is my code: #!/bin/bash _OUTBOX_BIN="outbox/logs/" _NAME="Client" _TEMP="temp.txt"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Strange results from 'strings | sort'

Using the 'strings' command and piping the result to 'sort' is producing strange results. I get block of lines that begin with asterisks, then a block that begins with some text, then more lines that begin with asterisks. The actual content is correct - lines beginning with asterisks is the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
5 Replies
CMDTEST(1)						      General Commands Manual							CMDTEST(1)

NAME
cmdtest - blackbox testing of Unix command line tools SYNOPSIS
cmdtest [-c=COMMAND] [--command=COMMAND] [--config=FILE] [--dump-config] [--dump-memory-profile=METHOD] [--dump-setting-names] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [-k] [--keep] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [-t=TEST] [--test=TEST] [--timings] [--version] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
cmdtest black box tests Unix command line tools. Given some test scripts, their inputs, and expected outputs, it verifies that the command line produces the expected output. If not, it reports problems, and shows the differences. Each test case foo consists of the following files: foo.script a script to run the test (this is required) foo.stdin the file fed to standard input foo.stdout the expected output to the standard output foo.stderr the expected output to the standard error foo.exit the expected exit code foo.setup a shell script to run before the test foo.teardown a shell script to run after test Usually, a single test is not enough. All tests are put into the same directory, and they may share some setup and teardown code: setup-once a shell script to run once, before any tests setup a shell script to run before each test teardown a shell script to run after each test teardown-once a shell script to run once, after all tests cmdtest is given the name of the directory with all the tests, or several such directories, and it does the following: o execute setup-once o for each test case (unique prefix foo): -- execute setup -- execute foo.setup -- execute the command, by running foo.script, and redirecting standard input to come from foo.stdin, and capturing standard output and error and exit codes -- execute foo.teardown -- execute teardown -- report result of test: does exit code match foo.exit, standard output match foo.stdout, and standard error match foo.stderr? o execute teardown-once Except for foo.script, all of these files are optional. If a setup or teardown script is missing, it is simply not executed. If one of the standard input, output, or error files is missing, it is treated as if it were empty. If the exit code file is missing, it is treated as if it specified an exit code of zero. The shell scripts may use the following environment variables: DATADIR a temporary directory where files may be created by the test TESTNAME name of the current test (will be empty for setup-once and teardown-once) SRCDIR directory from which cmdtest was launched OPTIONS
-c, --command=COMMAND ignored for backwards compatibility --config=FILE add FILE to config files --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-memory-profile=METHOD make memory profiling dumps using METHOD, which is one of: none, simple, meliae, or heapy (default: simple) --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit -k, --keep keep temporary data on failure --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE (default is to not write log files at all); use "syslog" to log to system log --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output -t, --test=TEST run only TEST (can be given many times) --timings report how long each test takes --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLE
To test that the echo(1) command outputs the expected string, create a file called echo-tests/hello.script containing the following con- tent: #!/bin/sh echo hello, world Also create the file echo-tests/hello.stdout containing: hello, world Then you can run the tests: $ cmdtest echo-tests test 1/1 1/1 tests OK, 0 failures If you change the stdout file to be something else, cmdtest will report the differences: $ cmdtest echo-tests FAIL: hello: stdout diff: --- echo-tests/hello.stdout 2011-09-11 19:14:47 +0100 +++ echo-tests/hello.stdout-actual 2011-09-11 19:14:49 +0100 @@ -1 +1 @@ -something else +hello, world test 1/1 0/1 tests OK, 1 failures Furthermore, the echo-tests directory will contain the actual output files, and diffs from the expected files. If one of the actual output files is actually correct, you can actualy rename it to be the expected file. Actually, that's a very convenient way of creating the ex- pected output files: you run the test, fixing things, until you've manually checked the actual output is correct, then you rename the file. SEE ALSO
cliapp(5). CMDTEST(1)