Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers IF THEN ELIF question in BOURNE SHELL Post 302115023 by reborg on Friday 20th of April 2007 07:11:26 AM
Old 04-20-2007
Don't forget to quote the variable with -z, otherwise an unset variable will break the script.

Code:
if [ -z "$1" ];

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bourne shell timing question

In one of my scripts I do the following sort +0 x > y mv y x In my script x and y are fully qualified. This works 99% of the time. However once in a while the system comes back and says that is cannot access y in the mv command. I did some research and I suspect that if I insert a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bourne-again shell

Hi guys !! well i'm still new in learning UNIX , and actually i'm still studying it by myself .. anyway, some people told me the Bourne-again shell is a good version of UNIX to work on , and i tried to download yesterday but i didn't know how to start it ...... the ReadMe file associated with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrsamer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell: if elsif question

Hi All, Must be something obvious I am missing, but the simple script below doesn't work. #!/bin/sh x=4 if then echo "x is $x" elsif then echo "x is greater than 4" else echo "x is less than 4" fi When I run this script, I get the error message: 7: Syntax error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leostar_10
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple shell script with elif and for nexxt

Hi! I have here a simple script to change the advskew on carp interfaces. The first is working, but the part for status, where a for is within a if/else delivers everyime only the action for the value "prod". Even when i use type test or dev. Where did i made the mistake? # $Log:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locutus01
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to activate Korn Shell functionnalities in Bourne Shell

Hi All I have writing a Korn Shell script to execute it on many of our servers. But some servers don't have Korn Shell installed, they use Borne Shell. Some operations like calculation don't work : cat ${file1} | tail -$((${num1}-${num2})) > ${file2} Is it possible to activate Korn Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bourne-sh (not bash) question about nested loops and sed

Here's the input: alpha, numeric or alphanumeric string ("line 1 string") numeric string ("line 2 string") numeric string ("line 3 string") numeric string ("line 4 string") ... where - each numeric string is in a pattern that can be matched with RE but - there can be any number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne/C shell help

Exercise Five Write a Bourne shell script which: • Professionalism: plan for this from the start. • Has one command line argument. • If the command line argument is a directory then the script should output the number of files in the directory. • If the command line argument is an ordinary... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moesom
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne shell & Korn shell

Could some one tell me the difference btw Bourne shell and the Kshell? Which is more flexible and reliable in terms of portability and efficiency. When i type the following command .. $ echo $SHELL yields me /bin/sh Does this tells me that I am in Bourne shell. If yes, how can i get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
6 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

'Shell Shock' vulnerability in Bourne shell

A severe vulnerability was discovered in Bourne shell. Just google for: bash vulnerability ... for more details. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cochise
5 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)