Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ulimit
Operating Systems Solaris ulimit Post 302114867 by melanie_pfefer on Thursday 19th of April 2007 03:00:13 AM
Old 04-19-2007
ulimit

Hi,

I need to increase the open files on my server to run a test. Usually what I do is:
ulimit -n 5000

My questions are:

1] I want to set this parameter once and for all. What is the right parameter to set in /etc/system: rlim_fd_max or rlim_fd_cur?
2] How to make sure that this parameter won't make the system unstable?
3] What is the difference between “ulimit -a” and “ulimit -a -H”? Each one gives a different “open files” value.

thanks a lot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ulimit -d

All I am trying to do ulimit -d unlimited and I get "sh: ulimit: The specified value exceeds the user's allowable limit." Can someone please help me understand, how to change this! Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adadevil
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ulimit

Hi, system aix 4.3 when I execute umilit i get result "unlimited". why cant i ftp or extract from media filesize over 2gig.... e.g FS /test/testy is large file enabled. any help will be greatly appreciated. thnx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Student37
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ulimit

hi what is the difference between file and data? if file is unlimited, does that mean we can have a file as big as we like? thanks. file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ulimit nofiles

Hi, We have an AIX system on oslevel 5.2 and we have the current limits set for the user "XXX" time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1024000 stack(kbytes) 32768 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 2097151... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
4 Replies

5. SCO

problem with ulimit

hi, i cant set ULIMIT for normal user (file size more than 2gb).but in root user it is working fine.in user it is giving error like "limit exceeded (priviledged user)". (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakrithi
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

ulimit -c unlimited

Hi, I want to set the coredump to unlimited, but it seems it does not work. > ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 stack(kbytes) 131072 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 4194303... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr_andrew
1 Replies

7. Solaris

ulimit

how do i check the ulimit set on my server.. ca i know whats the command ?? thanks in advance .. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
5 Replies

8. AIX

nofiles in ulimit

Hi all, What are the nofiles in ulimit for? How can these affect the server performance? What are the desired values for this? below is the result of ulimit -a on the server. time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) unlimited stack(kbytes) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guzzelle
1 Replies

9. Solaris

ulimit

Hello, could you help me please? I write in command line: "ulimit 500" -> i've set the max size of 512-bytes blocks that i can write in one file. But when after it i use ulimit.3c in my program: "ulimit(UL_GETFSIZE);" the result turns out 1000. Why is it so? They always differ so that one is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zhenya_
2 Replies

10. Linux

ulimit -n

Hi im a complete noob to shell commands but here is my problem i have a dedicated server i7 with 24 gig ram i have whm/cpanel on it now ive added a minecraft system to root but i cannot set the server to more than 512mb memory i was told its because the memory is being blocked and was told to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gazzac
7 Replies
ULIMIT(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 ULIMIT(3)

NAME
ulimit - get and set user limits SYNOPSIS
#include <ulimit.h> long ulimit(int cmd, long newlimit); DESCRIPTION
Warning: This routine is obsolete. Use getrlimit(2), setrlimit(2), and sysconf(3) instead. For the shell command ulimit(), see bash(1). The ulimit() call will get or set some limit for the calling process. The cmd argument can have one of the following values. UL_GETFSIZE Return the limit on the size of a file, in units of 512 bytes. UL_SETFSIZE Set the limit on the size of a file. 3 (Not implemented for Linux.) Return the maximum possible address of the data segment. 4 (Implemented but no symbolic constant provided.) Return the maximum number of files that the calling process can open. RETURN VALUE
On success, ulimit() returns a nonnegative value. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM A unprivileged process tried to increase a limit. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. POSIX.1-2008 marks ulimit() as obsolete. SEE ALSO
bash(1), getrlimit(2), setrlimit(2), sysconf(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-08-06 ULIMIT(3)