Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Differenc between print and echo Post 302113949 by Perderabo on Wednesday 11th of April 2007 11:13:51 AM
Old 04-11-2007
With ksh at least both echo and print are very fast built-in commands. Dave Korn added print to ksh. At the time ksh was developed Unix was split into a BSD and USG. And the echo statement was different. On BSD, "echo -n" would display no output but on USG it would display "-n". On USG, "echo \\c would display no output, but on BSD it would display "\c". So a portable shell script needed to capture and test the output from "echo -n" and then you could do:
if [ $ECHOTYPE = BSD ] ; then echo -n "enter name - " ; else echo "enter name - \\c" ; fi

Dave felt that rather than trying to solve the echo dichotomy, he would leave "echo" alone and go with "print" which was his own creation. "print" would be the same everywhere. And he added a lot of new stuff to "print".

Later, Posix decreed that the USG echo was standard. And it defined "printf" as a new, more powerful tool. So while Posix encourages the use of "printf", "echo" is now standard too. "print", on the other hand, is a non-standard feature of ksh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo or print to screen and file

I did a search for this topic but I couldn't find it and I was sure I have seen something similar before (hard because I am not sure of the criteria for the keywords) What I was looking for was to be able to echo a message to the screen from a bash.sh script at the same time logging it to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shakey21
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo vs. print

Is there a functional difference between echo and print? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PhilW
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to print backslah using echo

how to print 3 backslah using Unix AIX, i have try in my fedora and AIX,both give dirrent output for same echo statment test.sh sed -e 's/\(\)/\\\1/g' -e 's/\$?/\\$?/g' -e 's/\$#/\\$#/g' -e 's/^/echo "/g' -e 's/$/ "/g' xMNBDF070 > xMNBDF070_test xMNBDF070 sed -e "s/'/\\\'/g" -e... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_um
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Differenc between ps -ef and top

First of all i really thankful to all those people who have created this site. unix.com rocks man!! I am bit confused about the two commands which are 'top' and 'ps -ef'.:confused: My requirement is that i want to monitor the CPU usage of Operating system and if the CPU usage is more than 90%... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo/print variable question

while read filer ; do echo $filer $1 $2; ssh $filer vfiler status -r | awk '/running/{host=$1}/Path:/{path=$2;print host,path}'; done < filers.list this will print node1 vfiler0 / vfiler2 /vol/vfiler2_vol0 vfilert /vol/vfiler_vol vfilert /vol/virt_vol where node1 = $filer. however how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riegersteve
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print (echo) variable in a single line

Hi, I have written this code ------------------------------------------------ # !/bin/ksh i=0 while do j=$i while do echo -e $j #printf "%d",$j j=`expr $j - 1` done echo i=`expr $i + 1` done ---------------------------------------------------- The ouput which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rac
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using echo to print arguments inside a function

I am using echo in bash. Have created a function prargv which takes a number of arguments. Example: prargv "-e" "--examples" Inside prargv, I want to print all the arguments using echo echo "$@" This returns --examples rather than -e --examples" This problem can be fixed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing echo with print

Hi everyone, I'm executing a shell script and one of the commands is creating a file with text via echo. However, if the text within echo has "\t" or similar, it automatically translates it into a TAB character, same goes for other special characters. I know that if I put another "\"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of expr to calc differenc ein to epoch values

Hi folks, I have a script where i am trying to calc the difference between two epoch dates and then have a condition based on the resultant value. When I run the script it keeps complaining; expr: syntax error ./testdiff.sh: line 11: syntax error in conditional expression ./testdiff.sh:... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
25 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo print on same line while loop using variable

Currently using below script but echo it print the output in two line. Input file all-vm-final-2.txt CEALA08893 SDDC_SCUN DS_SIO_Workload_SAPUI_UAT_01 4 CEALA09546 SDDC_SCUN DS-SIO-PD5_Workload_UAT_SP1_Flash_07 4 CEALA09702 SDDC_SCUN DS-VSAN-RMP-WORKLOAD01 4 DEALA08762 SDDC_LDC... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
3 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string]... DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character is written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, is invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, ksh93's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape characters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's and ksh93's echo does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not understand the back-slashed escape characters. sh and ksh deter- mine whether /usr/ucb/echo is found first in the PATH and, if so, they adapt the behavior of the echo builtin to match /usr/ucb/echo. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it is treated as a string, not an option. The following char- acter sequences is recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2 /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3 sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4 csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5 /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. This variable is applicable only for Solaris x86 platforms, not Solaris SPARC systems. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh93(1), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), echo(1B), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' prints the phrase WARNING: and sounds the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo "337" | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "0337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.11 8 Apr 2008 echo(1)