Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Conditional Cron
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Conditional Cron Post 302112785 by dennis.jacob on Friday 30th of March 2007 08:01:45 AM
Old 03-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by baanprog
Hi,

The following test in cron fails. Any clue?

I want it to run last day before end of month

Code:
34 13 * * * [ `date +'\%d'` -eq `cal | grep -v "^$" | tail -1 | awk '{print $NF-1}'` ] && /export/myshell.sh

Regards
The backslash not required...

[ `date '+%d'` -eq `cal | grep -v "^$" | tail -1 | awk '{print $NF-1}'` ] && do....what required..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional File Movement script scheduled using CRON job

Hi All, i am trying to automate a process and have to create a unix script like wise. I have a scenario in which i need to automate a file movement. Below are the steps i need to automate. 1. Check whether a file (Not Fixed name-Pattern search of file say 'E*.dat') is present in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imu
2 Replies

2. AIX

AIX and cron logs filtering ?: /etc/cronlog.conf, /var/adm/cron/log

Hi, I can use 'crontabs –e' and do all the scheduling I like. However I would like to auto send myself just the cronjobs logs that fail. That is to say the PIDs that fail and the related lines with those PID’s only. (Not the full set of logs) Has anyone done this work? Or does an AIX 5.3 tool... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith Johnson
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CRON usage for CRON job

can anybody explain the usage of CRON for adding a cron job. please provide an example also for better understanding !!! Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

4. Solaris

cron job starts new cron proccess

I run cron in solaris 10 zone. One cron job which syncing files to nfs mounted on container, creates after finishing another cron proccess(/usr/sbin/cron), and after 100 existing cron proccesses next cron job will not start. It's too weird for me, I'm not able to solve this problem. Theoretically... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron76
3 Replies

5. Solaris

User entry in both cron.allow and cron.deny

Hello All, Anybody please help me to know ,what happens when a user having entry in both cron.allow and cron.deny files.Wheather the user will be able to access the crontab??? Thanks in advance Vaisakh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksvaisakh
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How are cron.allow and cron.deny read?

Hi, all! I was working on my Debian, minding my own business but then I wanted to see what happened if the same user was included on both cron.allow and cron.deny :p I would have bet that cron.deny was going to override cron.allow for security reasons, but my computer proved me wrong:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pereyrax
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Cron job running even after cron is removed

Hi , I have removed a cron for particular user , but cron job seems to be running even after the cron entry is removed. The purpose of the cron was to sendmail to user ( it uses mailx utility ) I have restarted cron and sendmail service still user is getting mail alerts from the cron job. And... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commented cron job -- cron monitoring

Hi I have a requirement to write a shell script,that will check the all commented job in cron job.Please help !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job - Need to run Cron every quarter at particular time

Hi, 1) If some job supposed to run on 1st of every month at 7 AM In cron job when we have a blackout on the 1st ( i.e when 1st falls on a sunday ) how can we make the job run the next business day? 2) How can we run a job on 25th of every quarter 7 AM(jan,apr,jul,oct) And if 25th... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution problem with Cron: Script works manually but not w/Cron. Why?

Hello gurus, I am making what I think is a simple db2 call from within a shell script but I am having difficulty producing the desired report when I run the script shown below from a shell script in cron. For example, my script and the crontab file setup is shown below: #!/bin/ksh db2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: okonita
3 Replies
CRONTABS(4)						      Crontabs users' Manual						       CRONTABS(4)

NAME
crontabs - configuration and scripts for running periodical jobs SYNOPSIS
run-parts [--list|--test]<directory> DESCRIPTION
Crontabs is a historical name for the run-parts script and the system crontab. The run-parts script runs all executables in the specified directory. Run-parts runs all executables in the specified directory. The execution of files can be allowed or denied by creating file jobs.allow or jobs.deny which worked similar as other allow/deny config files. The file must be created in the specified directory. --list print names of all files (not limited to executables), but don't run them. This option can't be used with test option. --test print names of files, which would be run. Randomization of jobs can be configured in the /etc/sysconfig/run-parts file. To enable randomization of jobs, set the RANDOMIZE parameter to 1 and set the RANDOM parameter to an integer which determines a random seed. Additionally, you may configure the RAN- DOMTIME parameter (again, by specifying an integer) to provide an additional level of randomization. Jobs are not randomized when the RANDOM and RANDOMTIME parameters are set to 0. Values in these two parameters must be set to 1 or larger to provide a good enough randomization. Randomization of cron jobs can be useful for shared networks, where multiple cron jobs executed at once can cause spikes in traffic, especially during daily jobs. With randomized jobs, the workload is evenly distributed throughout the day. EXAMPLE OF CONFIGURATION FILE
RANDOMIZE=1 RANDOM=4 RANDOMTIME=8 Historically the crontab file contained configuration which called run-parts on files in cron.{daily,weekly,monthly} directories. These jobs are now run indirectly through anacron to prevent conflicts between cron and anacron. That means the anacron package has to be installed if the jobs in these directories should be running. Refer to the anacron(8) how to limit the time of day of the job execution. EXAMPLE
/etc/cron.daily/jobs.deny could contain for example 0logwatch which forbid execution of this script. SEE ALSO
anacron(8), crontab(5) Marcela Malaova 2012-08-29 CRONTABS(4)