Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: adding a line to a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding a line to a file Post 302112158 by ghostdog74 on Monday 26th of March 2007 08:44:12 AM
Old 03-26-2007
to add a line at beginning of file
Code:
sed '1 i this is first line' file

to add at end of file
Code:
sed '$ a this is last line' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Text To each line of a file

How would I add text to the beginning of each line in a text file in a script right after the file is created from another text file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubs0729
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a line to a file

Hi guys, How to add a line before a specific line (identified with the starting work ex: xxx) of a file and write it back to the same file? Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding filename to each line of the file

Hi, I am a relative new bee in scripting. I need to develop a script such that the code would iterate through each file in a source directory and append every line of the file with '|' and the corresponding file filename. eg INPUT file IF927_1.dat - H|abc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripting_newbe
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding a line to file

i am writing a script which will let user to input a line. i m not sure how do i add this line to the end of a txt file ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 76455
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding data in a file on same line

Hi, I have one file a.txt ,the contents of the file is A B C D E F and I have another file b.txt, the contents of the file is 1 2 3 4 5 6 now when I am using this command cat a.txt b.txt > c.txtI am getting the output as A B C D E F 1 2 3 4 5 6 but i need the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prarat
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding New empty line in a file

Hi, I am new to Sed /awk commands. using that i want to add new empty line after every line in a file by leaving first three lines. So, can any one help me out how to achieve this. Example: --------- Input Filename: file1.txt Input Data: --------Report-------- Date:20-10-03... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding a line to a text file

I have a tab delimited text file, id name distance 1 3325167 0.334561754018 2 3290488 0.389444269458 3 3288794 0.392312701782 4 3347602 0.392532202097 5 3295355 0.394394169485 I need to add a line after the header line. The first and third field of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding tab/new line at the end of each line of a file

Hello Everyone, I need a help from experts of this community regarding one of the issue that I am facing with shell scripting. My requirement is to append char's at the end of each line of a file. The char that will be appended is variable and will be passed through command line. The... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sourav Das
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new line to file

Hi everyone, currently I writing a script for comparing 2 variable in 2 line then output the line with equal value to new file. However, the new file only contain last line only, the earlier line was delete. I do google my problem but still not find the way out. Sorry for my English. Thank you... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazy_bear
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding line in a file using info from previous line

I have a shell script that looks something like the following: mysql -uroot db1 < db1.sql mysql -uroot db2 < db2.sql mysql -uroot db3 < db3.sql mysql -uroot db4 < db4.sql .... different db names in more than 160 lines. I want to run this script with nohup and have a status later. So,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKH
6 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)