Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: adding a line to a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding a line to a file Post 302112140 by dennis.jacob on Monday 26th of March 2007 07:18:29 AM
Old 03-26-2007
What about this..?
Code:
echo -e  "Before the data\n $(cat file)\nEnd of data"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Text To each line of a file

How would I add text to the beginning of each line in a text file in a script right after the file is created from another text file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubs0729
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a line to a file

Hi guys, How to add a line before a specific line (identified with the starting work ex: xxx) of a file and write it back to the same file? Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding filename to each line of the file

Hi, I am a relative new bee in scripting. I need to develop a script such that the code would iterate through each file in a source directory and append every line of the file with '|' and the corresponding file filename. eg INPUT file IF927_1.dat - H|abc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripting_newbe
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding a line to file

i am writing a script which will let user to input a line. i m not sure how do i add this line to the end of a txt file ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 76455
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding data in a file on same line

Hi, I have one file a.txt ,the contents of the file is A B C D E F and I have another file b.txt, the contents of the file is 1 2 3 4 5 6 now when I am using this command cat a.txt b.txt > c.txtI am getting the output as A B C D E F 1 2 3 4 5 6 but i need the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prarat
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding New empty line in a file

Hi, I am new to Sed /awk commands. using that i want to add new empty line after every line in a file by leaving first three lines. So, can any one help me out how to achieve this. Example: --------- Input Filename: file1.txt Input Data: --------Report-------- Date:20-10-03... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding a line to a text file

I have a tab delimited text file, id name distance 1 3325167 0.334561754018 2 3290488 0.389444269458 3 3288794 0.392312701782 4 3347602 0.392532202097 5 3295355 0.394394169485 I need to add a line after the header line. The first and third field of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding tab/new line at the end of each line of a file

Hello Everyone, I need a help from experts of this community regarding one of the issue that I am facing with shell scripting. My requirement is to append char's at the end of each line of a file. The char that will be appended is variable and will be passed through command line. The... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sourav Das
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new line to file

Hi everyone, currently I writing a script for comparing 2 variable in 2 line then output the line with equal value to new file. However, the new file only contain last line only, the earlier line was delete. I do google my problem but still not find the way out. Sorry for my English. Thank you... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazy_bear
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding line in a file using info from previous line

I have a shell script that looks something like the following: mysql -uroot db1 < db1.sql mysql -uroot db2 < db2.sql mysql -uroot db3 < db3.sql mysql -uroot db4 < db4.sql .... different db names in more than 160 lines. I want to run this script with nohup and have a status later. So,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKH
6 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)