Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers skip reading certain lines in a file Post 302112108 by dennis.jacob on Monday 26th of March 2007 03:07:33 AM
Old 03-26-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdog74
user wants to exclude lines with "filesystem", so the grep should have -v? anyway, i noticed this thread was started weeks ago.
Sorry ..it was a typo.. It should be grep -v ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reading lines within a Unix file.

I have a file that has a list of numbers in it. Each line has a different number. I am trying to create some sort of loop within a script that will pick the numbers up on lines 1 and 2 and then put those figures into the script. It then goes through the process then loops back and reads lines 2 and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariner
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to skip lines in a KSH?

hi, I have a shell script that searches for a particular pattern in all the files inside a directory, and gives the count of that pattern occurences in a file. Now i should not count the pattern if it exists in side a { .... }, as shown below. { ...... ..... .... PATTERN1.......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: divak
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to skip lines which don't begin with a number

Hi, I have a file: file.txt 1 word 2 word word word 3 word 4 word and I would like to create a set: set number = `cut -d" " -f1 ${1}` #${1} is the text file but it should only contain the lines which begin with numbers, and another set which contains the lines which begin with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - skip x lines and ssh

Im trying to ssh to a remote machine to grep 'x info' *.log and Im able to get the grep output as expected but "after" the policies (1st 14 lines) - I need to skip the first 14 lines. Its SunOS. Plz help??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anthonyraj75
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: skip x lines and ssh

Im trying to ssh to a remote machine to grep 'x info' *.log and Im able to get the grep output as expected but "after" the policies (1st 14 lines) - I need to skip the first 14 lines. Its SunOS. Plz help??? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyraj75
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

skip lines while reading a file

Hi Experts, I am tryin to read a file and while doing so i need to skip the lines which start with a hash (#) char. I thought of using a goto command but a lot of guys on this site say its not the good way to program. Moreover I am using a ksh shell which deos not support goto command. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankimmehta
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding reading lines into a new file

Hi all, I jut use a loop to read lines from the user and redirect it to a file. echo "Enter the line" while read -r LINE do echo $LINE >> FILE if ;then break fi done input app... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading in two lines at once from a text file

Hello everyone, I have thought about this for quite some time and know what I want to do but am having some trouble at it. I have a text file filled with numbers like this, there are more in the file obviously. Each number is separated by a space. 1 3 2 4 5 1 -1 1 0 -1 5The idea is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tastybrownies
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Skip x Number of Lines in Counter

Hello, I am new to AWK and in UNIX in general. I am hoping you can help me out here. Here is my data: root@ubuntu:~# cat circuits.list WORD1 AA BB CC DD Active ISP1 ISP NAME1 XX-XXXXXX1 WORD1 AA BB CC (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tattoostreet
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multiple lines in a file

Hello, I am new in shell scripting. I need help regarding following. I have 4 files generated by backups daily. I have stored the names of these 4 files into one file. i.e I have 4 files names as a, b, c & d and these names have been put into one file abcd.txt. Now I want to cat each file in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ali Sarwar
7 Replies
qmail-pw2u(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     qmail-pw2u(8)

NAME
qmail-pw2u - build address assignments from a passwd file SYNOPSIS
qmail-pw2u [ -/ohHuUC ] [ -cchar ] DESCRIPTION
qmail-pw2u reads a V7-format passwd file from standard input and prints a qmail-users-format assignment file. A V7-format passwd file is a series of lines. Each line has the format user:password:uid:gid:gecos:home:shell where user is an account name, uid and gid are the user id and group id of that account, and home is the account's home directory. pass- word, gecos, and shell are ignored by qmail-pw2u. If you put the output of qmail-pw2u into /var/lib/qmail/users/assign, and then run qmail-newu, qmail-lspawn will obey the assignments printed by qmail-pw2u. WARNING: After changing any users, uids, gids, or home directories in your passwd file, you must run qmail-pw2u and qmail-newu again if you want qmail-lspawn to see the changes. RULES
By default, qmail-pw2u follows the same rules as qmail-getpw. It skips user if (1) uid is zero, (2) home does not exist, (3) user does not own home, or (4) user contains uppercase letters. It then gives each remaining user control over the basic user address and all addresses of the form user-anything. A catch-all user, alias, controls all other addresses. You may change these rules by setting up files in /var/lib/qmail/users: include Allowed users, one per line. If include exists, and user is not listed in include, user is ignored. exclude Ignored users, one per line. If exclude exists, and user is listed in exclude, user is ignored. mailnames Replacement names for users. Each line has the form user:mailname1:mailname2:... The addresses mailname1 and mailname1-ext and mailname2 and so on will be delivered to user. WARNING: The addresses user and user-ext will not be delivered to user unless user is listed as one of the mailnames. A line in mailnames is silently ignored if the user does not exist. subusers Extra addresses. Each line has the form sub:user:pre: sub will be handled by home/.qmail-pre, where home is user's home directory; sub-ext will be handled by home/.qmail-pre-ext. append Extra assignments, printed at the end of qmail-pw2u's output. OPTIONS
-o (Default.) Skip user if home does not exist (or is not visible to qmail-pw2u). Skip user if home is not owned by user. -h Stop if home does not exist. This is appropriate if every user is supposed to have a home directory. Skip user if home is not owned by user. -H Do not check the existence or ownership of home. -U (Default.) Skip user if there are any uppercase letters in user. -u Allow uppercase letters in user. -cchar Use char as the user-extension delimiter in place of -. -C Disable the user-extension mechanism. -/ Use home/.qmail-/... instead of home/.qmail-... SEE ALSO
qmail-users(5), qmail-lspawn(8), qmail-newu(8), qmail-getpw(8) qmail-pw2u(8)