Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Redhat linux command to check Version Post 302111826 by bache_gowda on Friday 23rd of March 2007 02:07:26 AM
Old 03-23-2007
Redhat linux command to check Version

Hi All,

I need to know RedHat linux version installed on a different servers.
I know uname -a or /proc/version
Is any other command to know the Linux version????

When we telnet to any of the Linux server, the version shows very clearly like
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 6)
Kernel 2.4.21-37.ELsmp on an i686
login:

In similar way can we find same info when telnet service is not enabled?

Thanks & Regards,
Bachegowda

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redhat linux version

Guys How do i know the version of linux (Redhat) on one of our systems..Thanks in advance..The uname -r gives 2.4.18-0.13..Is it the kernel version (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sssow
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a linux version of dos2unix command?

I'm having some probs and i know in unix i can do a dos2unix command and fix it, and it looks like that may be my problem now, but linux doesn't have dos2unix of course, anything comparable? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MYSQL command to take a backup of the database in Redhat linux 7.2

I am new to mysql database , we have a mysql database running on linux , and we use mysql database for bugzilla, so we wanted to take a backup . what is the command for taking the entire database backup from the command prompt with all options. Thanks in advance Bache Gowda (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check both the processores running or not in redhat linux

Hi, We have dual processor dell machine loaded with redhat linux 7.2. It was working fine without any problem but recently power went off so suddenly system switched off. From then onwards system is running very slow. My suspect is on processor. How to check both the processors running properly or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check theip address on Redhat Linux 9

hi How to check theip address on Redhat Linux 9 ? I have installed a SUN VMWARE and created VM on Vista. I am on bash and is not able to check the ip of the system. can someone plz with command ( wit options if any ) Regards, Subhotech (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subhotech
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Command to check firmware version

Command to check firmware version of HP x86 server on which solaris installed. I m not getting version by using prtdiag -v command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunray
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Differences in the version of RedHat linux 5.2 and 9.0.

hi , Can anybody please let me know the difference in the version of RedHat linux 5.2 and 9.0. Will there be any difference if i execute the script in RedHat linux 9.0 insead of RedHat linux 5.2? Thanks in Advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: flamingo_l
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

Does devlable support RedHat Linux 5.5 or later version?

Dear Guru, Last time when I install ORACLE RAC with ASM, I have use udev to mapping the raw device. Someone told me that "devlable" is good tool to achieve that. But I can find the rpm package for Linux 5.5. Look devlable only for x86 system? Am I right? What is the different between: udev... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: devyfong
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How find Linux version from command line?

Hi, I am looking to extract linux version from /etc/*-release file. I am specifically tring to avoid use of awk command here. would be great if can do done via sed or grep command. Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Tikanga) output must be 6 regards, Litu (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Litu1988
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increase command length for ksh shell on Redhat Linux

I have a ksh shell script and i need to pass arguments which are generated by data pulled from a database. When the argument to the shell script is too long (about 4000 charecters) the below is the issue observed. I copy the command which is 4000 charecters long from the logs and paste it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)