Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Installing Red Hat Linux
Operating Systems Linux Gentoo Installing Red Hat Linux Post 302111134 by tbgeek on Monday 19th of March 2007 10:43:25 AM
Old 03-19-2007
It sounds like your video card is the issue. When it asks for a video card, try a generic one and see what happens. Also look on the manufactures site for any RH patches.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Linux Red Hat 6.0

Hi everyone, I'm planning on installing Linux Redhat on my system, what are the steps i need to take in order to install it side by side with Win'98 or Win'Me OS. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chaos
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat Linux 6.0

Ok here is my problem i do not know the command to load a driver for my network card in Ted hat linux 6.0 could sombody give me a hand. and if there is anyone that has a list of commands for red hat that would be great also (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbutler3295
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XP to Linux (Red Hat)

I have a PC running XP, and I have a PC that dual boots W2K and Red Hat Linux 7.3. I have the two connected via crossover cable, and the two can access each other when both are running windows. If I were to boot up Linux, can my XP PC telnet to the Linux PC? Any pointers or websites to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
3 Replies

4. Linux

Red Hat Linux 9

Hello there! Will anybody please tell me some good links to online eBooks on Red Hat Linux 9 user experiences and the like. If the books are in PDF Format, it will be nice to read. Thanks for cooperation in advance. Enjoy using open source and breathe freely! JAM (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing ethereal on red hat

Has anybody installed ethereal on red hat linux. If so how ?, ie a a step by step process. I 've been to ethereal.com but it says not to use the RPM's on the site. When I do attempt to install using binaries or RPM's the list of dependancies seems endless, ie it says I need x I try to install x and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alien12
4 Replies

6. Linux

Installing Red Hat 5

Hello, I have a problem to installing Red Hat enterprise edition on intel core 2 duo cpu e8200 2.66ghz. Problem is that when i enter or type linux text on boot prompt it hang on some PCI installation. Please give me sum example that how I install RED HAT 5 on Core 2 Duo. In both GUI and Text Base.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hassan_1992
0 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

Problem Installing Cacti on Red Hat

Can someone please point me in the direction of where I can find out how to install cacti? there doesn't seem to be straightforward steps for it. after downloading the tar.gz file from cacti.net, there's basically no instructions of what to do from that point on. any help will be appreciated. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ?

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Installing Solaris 11.1 on Red Hat system?

I'm wanting to install Solaris 11.1 on a system that already has Windows and Red Hat and a boot system managed by GRUB. From what I've read, the Solaris 11.1 install will recognize Windows fine and account for it with GRUB 2. But it doesn't mention any other OS. It talks about installing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JWH
2 Replies

10. Fedora

Which is the better platform to learn UNIX/Linux (Kali Linux Vs. Red Hat or other)?

I just started a new semester and I started my UNIX class yesterday. I've already decided to use python along with my learning process but what I really want to use with it is Kali as my UNIX/Linux platform to learn off of since I already wanted to learn Cyber Sec. anyways. I just wanted to know if... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ApacheOmega
12 Replies
VGA(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    VGA(4)

NAME
vga -- generic video card interface SYNOPSIS
options VESA options VESA_DEBUG=N options VGA_ALT_SEQACCESS options VGA_NO_FONT_LOADING options VGA_NO_MODE_CHANGE options VGA_SLOW_IOACCESS options VGA_WIDTH90 device vga In /boot/device.hints: hint.vga.0.at="isa" DESCRIPTION
The vga driver is a generic video card driver which provides access to video cards. This driver is required for the console driver syscons(4). The console driver will call the vga driver to manipulate video hardware (changing video modes, loading font, etc). The vga driver supports the standard video cards: MDA, CGA, EGA and VGA. In addition, the driver can utilize VESA BIOS extensions if the video card supports them. VESA support can either be statically included in the kernel or can be loaded as a separate module. In order to statically link the VESA support to the kernel, the VESA option (see below) must be defined in the kernel configuration file. The vesa module can be dynamically loaded into the kernel using kldload(8). DRIVER CONFIGURATION
Kernel Configuration Options The following kernel configuration options (see config(8)) can be used to control the vga driver. These options provide compatibility with certain VGA cards. VGA_ALT_SEQACCESS You may want to try this option if the mouse pointer is not drawn correctly or the font does not seem to be loaded properly on the VGA card. However, it may cause flicker on some systems. VGA_SLOW_IOACCESS Older VGA cards may require this option for proper operation. It makes the driver perform byte-wide I/O to VGA registers and slow down a little. VGA_WIDTH90 This option enables 90 column modes: 90x25, 90x30, 90x43, 90x50, 90x60. These modes are not always supported by the video card and the display. It is highly likely that LCD display cannot work with these modes. The following options add optional features to the driver. VESA Add VESA BIOS support to the driver. If the VGA card has the VESA BIOS extension 1.2 or later, this option will utilize the VESA BIOS service to switch to high resolution modes. VESA_DEBUG=N Set the VESA support debug level to N. The default value is zero, which suppresses all debugging output. The following options will remove some features from the vga driver and save kernel memory. VGA_NO_FONT_LOADING The vga driver can load software font to EGA and VGA cards. This option removes this feature. Note that if you use this option and still wish to use the mouse on the console then you must also use the SC_ALT_MOUSE_IMAGE option. See syscons(4). VGA_NO_MODE_CHANGE This option prevents the driver from changing video modes. EXAMPLES
Your kernel configuration should normally have: device vga And you need the following line in /boot/device.hints. hint.vga.0.at="isa" The following lines should be included in the kernel configuration file in order to enable the VESA BIOS Extension support. options VESA device vga If you do not want VESA support included in the kernel, but want to use occasionally, do not add the VESA option. And load the vesa module as desired: kldload vesa SEE ALSO
vgl(3), syscons(4), config(8), kldload(8), kldunload(8) STANDARDS
Video Electronics Standards Association, VESA BIOS Extension (VBE). HISTORY
The vga driver first appeared in FreeBSD 3.1. AUTHORS
The vga driver was written by Soren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.org> and Kazutaka Yokota <yokota@FreeBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Kazutaka Yokota. BSD
June 30, 1999 BSD