Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Show the Difference between two files Post 302110284 by ghostdog74 on Monday 12th of March 2007 12:14:53 AM
Old 03-12-2007
If you have Python and know the language, here's an alternative:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
for line in open("file2"):
    line = line.strip() #get rid of newlines
    name,entry = line.split(' ',1)
    for lin in open("file1"):
        lin = lin.strip()
        if lin.startswith(name):
                for e in entry.split():
                    lin = lin.replace(e , "")
                print "Output: ", lin

output:
Code:
/test # ./test.py
Output:  allan  entry2
Output:  bob  entry2 entry3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to show files on web page

hello Unix guru i want to show performance results on my internal website . We are manitaing the site through Wiki . I have to add new page in that . can someone help me to write shell script for that .. i want to display files datewise . my files names are starting with date . if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepa20
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two files one file is dependent and it does not show an output

xxxxx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayrao
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show the diff in two files using awk

Hi, How can i use AWK or any other commands to find the difference between 2 files. File A aaa bbb ccc 111 222 File B aaa ccc 111 Output bbb 222 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gambit97
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

show all text files in directories and subdirectories

Hi! I am trying to find all text files in my home directory that contain the string "C-d" so I tyied this : cd ~ find . -type f -exec grep -l "C-d" {} + but it took very long so I tryed this : ls -aR | xargs file |grep text but it didn't descend in the directories and it said :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelamahim
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare 2 files and show count same content.

$ cat File1 Non HTTP response code:java.net.ConnectException225073X 000000005143329Load time: 402335410224 Non HTTP response code: ava.net.ConnectException206423X 000000005143330Load time: 402305687161 Non HTTP response code: ava.net.ConnectException290212X 000000005143331Load time:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to show unique strings in two files

how to display the unique strings in two files using shell script or commands. I tried diff and cmp but it shows the entire line, i need only the mismatched strings. File1: sat,sun,mon,tue rose,lilly,lotus white,red,blue,green,pink File2: sat,sun,mon,tue rose,sunflower,lotus... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show difference between two number

Hi, I would like to show the difference between two numbers. For example. input.txt 1 7 2 10 0 0 6 7 I would like a third field showing the difference between the numbers as below: ouput.txt 1 7 6 2 10 8 0 0 0 6 7 1 How do I do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: general_lee
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there any way to cat multiple files and show filenames?

Hi, Is there any way to do a cat * where it shows the name of each file in the process? Similar to what more does below? $ more ?.sql :::::::::::::: 1.sql :::::::::::::: set linesize 200 select db_unique_name, cast( from_tz( cast(... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Show 'All Files' If all file can find.

fileset='APP11.txt APP12.txt SPACEDB11.txt WEB11.txt WEB12.txt' Hi there, Give the fileset, if I can use grep to find all the files. How do I show: All Servers: instead of APP11.txt: APP12.txt: SPACEDB11.txt: WEB11.txt: WEB12.txt: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
6 Replies

10. AIX

Compare two files and show the mismatch columns

I need to compare two files and find the mismatch columns in it for csv and fixed width file. Eg: file1 c1,c2,c3,c4<----columnname 1,a,4,d 2,b,5,e 3,c,6,f file2 c1,c2,c3,c4<----columnname 3,x,7,f 2,y,8,e 1,z,9,d output c2,c3<---- mismatch columname a,4 x,7 b,5 or y,8 Ok with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabzR
3 Replies
SINFO(1)							   User Manuals 							  SINFO(1)

NAME
sinfo - a monitoring tool for networked computers SYNOPSIS
sinfo [-q] [-V] [-W] [-H] [-L] [-h host[:port] ] [-u user ] [-d delay ] [-s] [-o] [-i process ] [-n] [-D] [-t count ] [-i processname ] [-c scale ] DESCRIPTION
sinfo displays some information of the nodes in your local network. For each node the system load, the memory utilization and the `TOP-5' user processes will be displayed. sinfo uses the sinfod(8) to gather these informations. For further details of the internal mechanisms refer to the sinfod(8) manual. OPTIONS
-q/--quiet be quiet - don't display startup informations. -V/--version Print the version number and exit. -W/--wwwmode Web-mode: List all hosts and their informations in html-format and exit. Look at sinfo.pl.cgi for a sample cgi-script. -H/--hostsmode List all host names of nodes running a sinfod(8) and exit. -I/--ipmode List all IPs of nodes running a sinfod(8) and exit. --hostsandipmode List all host names and IP addresses of nodes running a sinfod(8) and exit. -L/--loadmode List all known host names with the current system load and exit. -h/--host <host[:port]> Fetch information from the sinfod(8) running on `host' instead of localhost. You may also specify the port number of the sinfod(8) your are connecting to. This option may be useful in cases where ssh(1) or similar programs are used to tunnel the connection from sinfo(1) to sinfod(8) through a firewall. It is possible to use multiple -h option to connect to more than one sinfod to monitor more than one network with one sinfo process. If your want to set different delays for the connections -d has to be specified prior to the corresponding -h options. $ sinfo -h localhost:60001 (the default values) $ sinfo -h 127.0.0.1:60001 (... if you want to set an IP-address directly) $ sinfo -h my.computer.at.work (port 60001 will be used as default on my.computer.at.work) $ ssh -q -C me@my.computer.at.work -L 60002:my.computer.at.work:60001 (establish the tunnel) $ sinfo -h localhost:60002 (connect through the tunnel) $ sinfo -h localhost -h host.on.another.net (connect two demons to join the sinfo broadcasts of two networks) --udp / --tcp Use UDP(default) or TCP to connect to sinfod. -u/--user <user> Highlight all processes of `user' instead of using environment variable $LOGNAME. -d/--delay <delay> Set the delay (in seconds) between two updates. Default is one second. --filtermarker <marker> Request only informations matching <marker>. -s/--systeminfo Include system information (resolved by a uname -a call) in the list. -o/--own Only display your own processes or the processes owned by user '-u user' (this overrides the '-t count' setting). -i/--ignore <process> Don't display <process> ; --ignore may be set multiple times. -n/--netload Display network load. -D/--diskload Display disk load (buffer allocation rate) of locally connected disks. -t/--top <count> Restrict the number of processes displayed to `count'. -c/--scale <scale> Set the scaling of the CPU load bars to "log", "lin" or "full". KEYBOARD COMMANDS
q Quit sinfo. PageUp, PageDown Scroll the screen by one page. UpArrow, u; DownArrow, d Scroll the screen by one line. Home Jump to the top line. s Toggle display of system informations. o Toggle display of your own processes. n Toggle display of network informations. D Toggle display of disk load. t Toggle display of the TOP n processes. c Toggle the scaling of the CPU load bars form "log", "lin" to full. EXIT CODES
The exit codes used by sinfo are: 0 everything OK 1 Connection to sinfod failed. ENVIRONMENT
HOSTNAME Highlight $HOSTNAME in sinfo's output. LOGNAME Used to determine the name of the user which processes shall be highlighted. May be overridden by the -u option. TERM The name of your terminal. Used to select escape sequences out of the terminfo(5) database. AUTHOR
Juergen Rinas <jrinas@gmx.de> SEE ALSO
sinfod(8),sshallsinfo(1) Linux JANUARY 2005 SINFO(1)