Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: check for "cannot open file"
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers check for "cannot open file" Post 302108431 by ssmith001 on Monday 26th of February 2007 12:29:32 PM
Old 02-26-2007
check for "cannot open file"

I have a small script that checks to see if a file exists and that it has data in it. I also need to check if the file can be opened. I had an issue today where the file it checks could not be opened and my script did not catch it. How do I check to see if it cannot be opened?

Code:
dirname=/opt/manu/srv
f1=manumgrmdip2_7500.log
f2=manumgrmdip2_7500.pid
export HOST=`hostname`
f1size=`wc -c $dirname/manumgrmdip2_7500.log | cut -f1 -d " "`
f2size=`wc -c $dirname/manumgrmdip2_7500.pid | cut -f1 -d " "`

if [[ ! -f $dirname/$f1 || ! -f $dirname/$f2 ]] ; then
      echo "Either <$dirname/$f1> or <$dirname/$f1> does not exist" | mailx -s "Missing files on Manugistics $HOST Server (MDIP2)" user@xyz.com
else if (( $(wc -c < $dirname/$f1) != 0 )) || (( $(wc -c < $dirname/$f2) > 6 )) ; then
      echo "The size of $dirname/$f1 size = $f1size, and $dirname/$f2 = $f2size'" | mailx -s "Error with file sizes on Manugistics $HOST Server (MDIP2)" user@xyz.com < manumgrmdip2_7500.log
     fi;
fi;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check input = "empty" and "numeric"

Hi how to check input is "empty" and "numeric" in ksh? e.g: ./myscript.ksh k output show: invalid number input ./myscript.ksh output show: no input ./myscript.ksh 10 output show: input is numeric (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoffry
6 Replies

2. AIX

Probably an easy SMIT question- "Unable to open temp file"

Hi All, Can't find any documentation on the web for this anywhere, except about three web pages that are in Chinese. When I enter SMIT on this box, I get ERROR MESSAGE: Unable to open temp file I suspected smit.log, but it is universal readable, writeable by root, and I am root.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
6 Replies

3. SuSE

VMDB Failure" followed by "Unable to open snapshot file"

keep getting an error when I try to revert to a snapshot: "VMDB Failure" followed by "Unable to open snapshot file" Im using vmware server 1.0.4, host OS is windows xp and guest OS is SLES. Is there anything I can do to recover the snapshot or am I in trouble!?!?! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

5. Solaris

How to check "faulty" or "stalled" print queues - SAP systems?

Hi all, First off, sorry for a long post but I think I have no other option if I need to explain properly what I need help for. I need some advise on how best to check for "faulty" or "stalled/jammed' print queues. At the moment, I have three (3) application servers which also acts as print... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. SCO

sco unix backward compatibility on "max open file per process"

Hi How to increase maximum number of open file in "sco xenix binary" running in "sco unix openserver 5.0.7" ? I have changed "NOFILES" kernel parameter to 512, but xenix binray can't open more than 60. tnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: javad1_maroofi
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
DIRNAME(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						DIRNAME(3)

NAME
dirname -- extract the directory part of a pathname SYNOPSIS
#include <libgen.h> char * dirname(char *path); char * dirname_r(const char *path, char *dname); DESCRIPTION
The dirname() function is the converse of basename(3); it returns a pointer to the parent directory of the pathname pointed to by path. Any trailing '/' characters are not counted as part of the directory name. If path is a null pointer, the empty string, or contains no '/' char- acters, dirname() returns a pointer to the string ".", signifying the current directory. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The dirname() function returns a pointer to internal storage space allocated on the first call that will be overwritten by subsequent calls. dirname_r() is therefore preferred for threaded applications. Other vendor implementations of dirname() may modify the contents of the string passed to dirname(); if portability is desired, this should be taken into account when writing code which calls this function. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <libgen.h> char * dirname(const char *path); In legacy mode, path will not be changed. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, dirname() returns a pointer to the parent directory of path. If dirname() fails, a null pointer is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The following error codes may be set in errno: [ENAMETOOLONG] The path component to be returned was larger than MAXPATHLEN. [ENOMEM] The static buffer used for storing the path in dirname() could not be allocated. SEE ALSO
basename(1), dirname(1), basename(3), compat(5) STANDARDS
The dirname() function conforms to X/Open Portability Guide Issue 4, Version 2 (``XPG4.2''). HISTORY
The dirname() function first appeared in OpenBSD 2.2 and FreeBSD 4.2. The dirname_r() function first appeared in OS X 10.12. AUTHORS
Todd C. Miller BSD
October 12, 2006 BSD