Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Excluding directories with find Post 302107739 by sb008 on Tuesday 20th of February 2007 11:40:19 AM
Old 02-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by x96riley3
How do I exclude directories with the find command on Solaris?

I want to skip the directories /proc and /shared.

find / -nouser -print

This shows me all files and directories that don't have an owner but I need to skip /shared and /proc.

I've been able to get it to work on Linux and HP but not on Solaris. It appears that the -path option doesn't exist on solaris.

Thanks,
-x96
'

/proc is easy to exclude

Code:
find / ! -fstype proc -nouser -print

If /shared happens to be an nfs filesystem that 1 is easy as well.

Code:
find / ! -fstype proc -a ! -fstype nfs -nouser -print

If /shared is not an nfs filesystem, but a local filesystem you can use

find <list of all filesystems except /proc and /shared> -mount -nouser -print.
e.g.

Code:
find / /var /opt /tmp -mount -nouser -print

If /shared is not a seperate filesystem but just a directory on a filesystem there is no option as far as I know, except to filter those results out.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

excluding directories while using tar

How do I exclude some directories while creating a tar file with a number of directories? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uchachra
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

excluding directories in tar

In a bash script I am writing I am having a problem excluding selected directories from tar. From the machine $SERVER I issue the command #start netcat on storage server gnetcat -l -vv -p 2011 >$FILEPATH/$SHORT_NAME.$today.tar & The the following command is then sent to the $CLIENT. #start... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumper
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp -r excluding certain directories?

I want to recursively copy /home/me/someProject/* to a /home/you/ but I want to exclude directories called "classes". I can't find any option for excluding certain directories. Does such a thing exist, or any workaround, or am I missing something obvious> (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarnobat
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy Directories excluding files

Hi guys, I want to copy folder and sub folders only. I don't want the files. If i use cp -r command it will copy entirely with files. Could any one suggest me. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthik82
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories and sub directories recursively excluding files

Hi, Please help me, how to get all the direcotries, its sub directories and its sub directories recursively, need to exclude all the files in the process. I wanted to disply using a unix command all the directories recursively excluding files. I tried 'ls -FR' but that display files as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files/directories excluding multiple paterns

my directory structure is like below: basedir\ p.txt q.htm r.java b\ abc.htm xyz.java c\ p.htm q.java rst.txt my requirement is i want to copy all the files and directories... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayyadavmca
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excluding directories from a find

I've looked at a few similar threads, but I can't bridge from those examples to what I'm working on, so I'm hoping someone can help. I want to extend the following statement find $PathToCheck -type f \( -not -iwholename "$ScriptDir/*" \) -exec md5sum "{}" \;>$NewSigs to exclude several... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixie
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Flarcreate and excluding directories with software installed

Got a solaris 10 server that I want to take a flar of in order to use to build a new server. Works fine. Only trouble is there is software on the original server that is not needed on the new server - it will be uninstalled. I was thinking of creating the flar from the original server and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find all files in the current directory excluding hidden files and directories

Find all files in the current directory only excluding hidden directories and files. For the below command, though it's not deleting hidden files.. it is traversing through the hidden directories and listing normal which should be avoided. `find . \( ! -name ".*" -prune \) -mtime +${n_days}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksailesh1
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command excluding directories and some files

hello. I try to print a list of files but excluding some directories and some files. I would like to write a command for : find "from_dir" "ignore dir1, dir2, ..." "ignore file1, file2,...." "where file are older than 2017-02-03T06:00:00" Note that "DO_IT" is a local function in the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
5 Replies
bup-index(1)						      General Commands Manual						      bup-index(1)

NAME
bup-index - print and/or update the bup filesystem index SYNOPSIS
bup index <-p|-m|-s|-u> [-H] [-l] [-x] [--fake-valid] [--fake-invalid] [--check] [-f indexfile] [--exclude path] [--exclude-from filename] [-v] DESCRIPTION
bup index prints and/or updates the bup filesystem index, which is a cache of the filenames, attributes, and sha-1 hashes of each file and directory in the filesystem. The bup index is similar in function to the git(1) index, and can be found in ~/.bup/bupindex. Creating a backup in bup consists of two steps: updating the index with bup index, then actually backing up the files (or a subset of the files) with bup save. The separation exists for these reasons: 1. There is more than one way to generate a list of files that need to be backed up. For example, you might want to use inotify(7) or dno- tify(7). 2. Even if you back up files to multiple destinations (for added redundancy), the file names, attributes, and hashes will be the same each time. Thus, you can save the trouble of repeatedly re-generating the list of files for each backup set. 3. You may want to use the data tracked by bup index for other purposes (such as speeding up other programs that need the same informa- tion). MODES
-u, --update recursively update the index for the given filenames and their descendants. One or more filenames must be given. If no mode option is given, this is the default. -p, --print print the contents of the index. If filenames are given, shows the given entries and their descendants. If no filenames are given, shows the entries starting at the current working directory (.) . -m, --modified prints only files which are marked as modified (ie. changed since the most recent backup) in the index. Implies -p. -s, --status prepend a status code (A, M, D, or space) before each filename. Implies -p. The codes mean, respectively, that a file is marked in the index as added, modified, deleted, or unchanged since the last backup. OPTIONS
-H, --hash for each file printed, prepend the most recently recorded hash code. The hash code is normally generated by bup save. For objects which have not yet been backed up, the hash code will be 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000. Note that the hash code is printed even if the file is known to be modified or deleted in the index (ie. the file on the filesystem no longer matches the recorded hash). If this is a problem for you, use --status. -l, --long print more information about each file, in a similar format to the -l option to ls(1). -x, --xdev, --one-file-system don't cross filesystem boundaries when recursing through the filesystem. Only applicable if you're using -u. --fake-valid mark specified filenames as up-to-date even if they aren't. This can be useful for testing, or to avoid unnecessarily backing up files that you know are boring. --fake-invalid mark specified filenames as not up-to-date, forcing the next "bup save" run to re-check their contents. --check carefully check index file integrity before and after updating. Mostly useful for automated tests. -f, --indexfile=indexfile use a different index filename instead of ~/.bup/bupindex. --exclude=path a path to exclude from the backup (can be used more than once) --exclude-from=filename a file that contains exclude paths (can be used more than once) -v, --verbose increase log output during update (can be used more than once). With one -v, print each directory as it is updated; with two -v, print each file too. EXAMPLE
bup index -vux /etc /var /usr SEE ALSO
bup-save(1), bup-drecurse(1), bup-on(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-index(1)