Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Get username in script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get username in script Post 302106793 by willc0de4food on Monday 12th of February 2007 05:52:59 PM
Old 02-12-2007
no, i dont mean retrieving passwords.. i mean prompting the user to enter their password and using that in the shell script. except i'm unsure how i'd like to go about this or if i should just try some crazy concotion of applescript/shell script..maybe use a shell script to execute an applescript. lol thanks for your help though :]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

username password in script

Can we write a script to telnet to a unix server from unix with the username and password hardcoded in the script?? something like ssh a@b -p password ??? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: roshanjain2
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find username of user running the script

Hello All, If I have a simple cgi script and want to find the name of the person accessing the page, is it possible? How do I get the name of this user? Please help. I was trying a vague method but it doesn't seem to work with all browsers and versions ... $val=$ENV{'HTTP_COOKIE'}; $name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garric
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to modify a file of different username through script.

Hi ! All I want to write a script where, it will open a new shell with a username / pwd and modify a file of same username and exit. example: 1. UserA 2. UserB- FileB ScriptA -> su UserB -> Modify FileB -> Exit ScriptA Can somebody give me a direction , on how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy Script, just to find the given username if is it online or not

hey guys plz help me..with shell script. i must find the given(the user types a username) username if is it login or not.. i know how to do it logically, but i think that i can't in scripting. Thank you all (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
5 Replies

5. Programming

Using a script to check the login and username (html)

I made this named "confirm.sh":#/bin/sh #username and password are already given by the login form if ; then realpass=`cat /home/alex/Desktop/Myfirstsite/allpasses/$username` if ; then #continue with index.html else echo "Bad password" fi else echo "Unknown username" fi because I wanted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Asking username and password in the middle of the Shell/perl script

Can any body help me to find out the logic I have a script chkcomponent.pl Which give some output Like component1 userid: u1 component2 userid: u2 component3 userid: u1 . . #The no of components are different in different times run Now I want this chkcomponent.pl script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshpatra
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to see if a username is valid.

This is my task: The argument enter on the command line is a first and last name ( for example: "John Smith"). If the argument is a validly formatted name, you display The "name enter" is valid to standard out. If the argument is not a validly formated name, you display The "name enter" is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheRealNapsta
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh script to get unix username of person executing it

Hi, I am writing a script, and I need to incorporate some logic where I can find out the unix username of the person who is executing the script. The issue is , a particular user could have "sesu" ed into a group id. for eg. root, and then executed the script. In that case, instead of root,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Q: grab email username from script

Hi all, I want to set up a script to email a person to confirm another program is running but i wish to avoid having to customise the script for each individiual. I am ok with what i need to do except i need to get the first and last name of the user to construct an email address to send to.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KlintJ
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send Two different password in Single script, having same username..?

Hi Team, i want to input two password for single node like pass1/pass2 one of the pass1 is working some node and pass2 is working for some nodes . For nodes having pass1 i have to run different script and for nodes having pass2 i have to run different script Sooo how can put two pass... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Mankar
3 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)