Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Get username in script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get username in script Post 302106766 by ahmedwaseem2000 on Monday 12th of February 2007 01:45:28 PM
Old 02-12-2007
try this

export user=`eval whoami`
or export user=$(whoami)
echo $user
This User Gave Thanks to ahmedwaseem2000 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

username password in script

Can we write a script to telnet to a unix server from unix with the username and password hardcoded in the script?? something like ssh a@b -p password ??? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: roshanjain2
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find username of user running the script

Hello All, If I have a simple cgi script and want to find the name of the person accessing the page, is it possible? How do I get the name of this user? Please help. I was trying a vague method but it doesn't seem to work with all browsers and versions ... $val=$ENV{'HTTP_COOKIE'}; $name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garric
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to modify a file of different username through script.

Hi ! All I want to write a script where, it will open a new shell with a username / pwd and modify a file of same username and exit. example: 1. UserA 2. UserB- FileB ScriptA -> su UserB -> Modify FileB -> Exit ScriptA Can somebody give me a direction , on how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy Script, just to find the given username if is it online or not

hey guys plz help me..with shell script. i must find the given(the user types a username) username if is it login or not.. i know how to do it logically, but i think that i can't in scripting. Thank you all (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
5 Replies

5. Programming

Using a script to check the login and username (html)

I made this named "confirm.sh":#/bin/sh #username and password are already given by the login form if ; then realpass=`cat /home/alex/Desktop/Myfirstsite/allpasses/$username` if ; then #continue with index.html else echo "Bad password" fi else echo "Unknown username" fi because I wanted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Asking username and password in the middle of the Shell/perl script

Can any body help me to find out the logic I have a script chkcomponent.pl Which give some output Like component1 userid: u1 component2 userid: u2 component3 userid: u1 . . #The no of components are different in different times run Now I want this chkcomponent.pl script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshpatra
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to see if a username is valid.

This is my task: The argument enter on the command line is a first and last name ( for example: "John Smith"). If the argument is a validly formatted name, you display The "name enter" is valid to standard out. If the argument is not a validly formated name, you display The "name enter" is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheRealNapsta
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh script to get unix username of person executing it

Hi, I am writing a script, and I need to incorporate some logic where I can find out the unix username of the person who is executing the script. The issue is , a particular user could have "sesu" ed into a group id. for eg. root, and then executed the script. In that case, instead of root,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Q: grab email username from script

Hi all, I want to set up a script to email a person to confirm another program is running but i wish to avoid having to customise the script for each individiual. I am ok with what i need to do except i need to get the first and last name of the user to construct an email address to send to.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KlintJ
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send Two different password in Single script, having same username..?

Hi Team, i want to input two password for single node like pass1/pass2 one of the pass1 is working some node and pass2 is working for some nodes . For nodes having pass1 i have to run different script and for nodes having pass2 i have to run different script Sooo how can put two pass... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Mankar
3 Replies
hostconfig(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    hostconfig(1M)

NAME
hostconfig - configure a system's host parameters SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/hostconfig -p protocol [-d] [ -h] [-n] [-v] [-i interface] [-f hostname] DESCRIPTION
The hostconfig program uses a network protocol to acquire a machine's host parameters and set these parameters on the system. The program selects which protocol to use based on the argument to the required -p flag. Different protocols may set different host param- eters. Currently, only one protocol (bootparams) is defined. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Enable debug output. -f hostname Run the protocol as if this machine were named hostname. -h Echo the received hostname to stdout, rather than setting hostname using the system name directly. -i interface Use only the named network interface to run the protocol. -n Run the network protocol, but do not set the acquired parameters into the system. -p protocol Run hostconfig using protocol. Currently, only one protocol (bootparams) is available. This option is required. Specifying the -p bootparams option uses the whoami call of the RPC bootparams protocol. This sets the system's hostname, domainname, and default IP router parameters. -v Enable verbose output. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Configuring Host Parameters with Verbose Output The following command configures a machine's host parameters using the whoami call of the RPC bootparams protocol with a verbose output. example# hostconfig -p bootparams -v Example 2: Displaying Host Parameters The following command displays the parameters that would be set using the whoami call of the RPC bootparams protocol. example# hostconfig -p bootparams -n -v Example 3: Configuring Host Parameters Less the System Name The following command configures a machine's host parameters, less the system name, using the whoami call of the RPC bootparams protocol. example# hostconfig='hostconfig -p bootparams -h' ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
hostname(1), domainname(1M), route(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 6 Nov 2000 hostconfig(1M)