Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to use FORMAT and PARTITION command on Solaris 9 Post 302106258 by suntac on Wednesday 7th of February 2007 11:51:27 AM
Old 02-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke0001
I am seeking advice from experts in this forum. Please help me.

I have tow disks on Sun Sparc box. Disk one has been installed Solaris 9 system. The disk two has been partitioned as one disk with 140 GB on the partition /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s6. Right now, I want to modify it as two partitions. I have typed ' man format' to read the description. But I am still not sure about these synopsises. I like to partition disk two as two partitions. one will be using the same partition as /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s6 with about 90 GB. another partition will be /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s5 with about 50 GB. Could you please help me on necessary steps using FORMAT or PARTITION commands with options. I will appreciated your kindness very much.

you can use the format command to format a drive.... for example: format /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0s2

You can use partition in the format menu to partition your disk...

Regards,
Johan Louwers.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

format fat partition in unix

I got a FAT partition mounted as /mnt, as I believed you only can mount partitions when they are formated, but when I want to copy a file to the /mnt partition I only get errors...should I format it or do I have to change settings? I only can work through the "WebMin" (a GREAT TOOL!) cause I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NaRtHeXs
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

re-partition disks on solaris

hi all, i was wondering if i have some volume manager and i want to format all partitions/disks and re-create new slices can i use regular format command or what? i think veritas volume manager is already installed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 8 partition - compression

Hi, Anyone know if I have a mount point /data , can it turn on compression like what the MS Windows does ???? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to merge solaris partition

I m using solaris 8. I have some free space on my hard disk. I want to merge that space into /export/home. Please tell me complete procedure for doing it. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansoorulhaq
7 Replies

5. Linux

problem to format linux partition

hi friends one week ago, i have installed fedoa 9 on my home pc. i already have windows xp on that machine. unfortunately my windows xp has corrupted. again i want to install windows xp but it is not installing. will i format my linux partition or some other option is there. please help me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneshmishra08
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Help me to format partition

Dear all! I'm reading to install Oracle 10g using ASM in single Database on RHEL 5. The only one hard-disk was 320gb on this machine, so, I just want to device the un-formatted disk into 4 raws device. http://gi132.photobucket.com/groups/q34/Q42288CMBQ/1.jpg ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trantuananh24hg
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can I format a partition in Linux with FAT32 or NTFS?

I tried in fedora 9 to format a partition with FAT32 or NTFS but failed mkfs -t NTFS /dev/sdb3 mkfs -t FAT32 /dev/sdb3 In both the output says the the device isn't present. the output is something like this: mkfs.FAT32: no device present mkfs.NTFS: no device present I am able to format in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 Sparc. How to change Vendor info of SAN disks reported in "format" command?

Greetings! After block level migration using an external appliance, the luns are getting reported as DGC-RAID5 and these luns are infact from the new storage. I have a query on changing the device Vendor info from DGC-RAID5 to HP3par in the format o/p only. AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n_Bhaskar
3 Replies
suninstall(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    suninstall(1M)

NAME
suninstall - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
suninstall DESCRIPTION
install-solaris(1M) is now the preferred command for starting and restarting the Solaris Installation program. It should be used instead of suninstall. suninstall is symbolically linked to install-solaris. suninstall is a forms-based and graphical subsystem for installing the operating system. suninstall exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should only be invoked from there. Refer to the Solaris 10 Instal- lation Guide: Basic Installations for more details. suninstall allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. suninstall loads the software available on the installa- tion media. Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for disk space requirements. USAGE
Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for more information on the various menus and selections. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pkginfo(1), install(1M), install-solaris(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations NOTES
It is advisable to exit suninstall by means of the exit options in the suninstall menus. SunOS 5.10 9 Sep 2004 suninstall(1M)