Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: prstat in shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting prstat in shell Post 302106088 by sb008 on Tuesday 6th of February 2007 01:12:21 PM
Old 02-06-2007
If you check the manual page for prstat you will see that besided a lot of options there are 2 optional arguments for prstat.

These arguments are:
interval (interval in seconds between 2 statistics reports)
count (Number of statistics reports)

So you could use:

prstat 2 5
Make 5 statistics reports with an interval of 2 seconds

prtstat 3
Make endless statistics report with an interval of 3 seconds.

prstat 0 1
Make 1 statistics report with an interval of 0 seconds (The interval is irrelevant here and can be any number, since it's only 1 report).

To process the output of prstat in a scriipt you have to limit the number of statistics reports. Without this limitation prstat would never end and your script with never proceeed.

You can redirect the limited number of statistics reports to some kind of file which you use later on in your script as source to extract/generate/manipulate or whatever.

If you do not which to redirect the output to a file but like to process the outut right away, by piping the output to another command, it would be easiest to start with a single statistics report. Once you know how to parse that kind of information e.g. with (n)awk you count increase the number of statistics reports. But no matter what, make sure the number of statistics reports is limited, or your script will never end.

There are ways to process a continious output stream of prstat, but shell scripting is not really suited for that. Basically you would have 2 programs and are dealing with IPC (Inter Process Communication).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with prstat

Hello, The last line of prstat shows load average. I am unable to figure out what actually it is. I have read the man pages and also googled, all for no use. Can somebody help me, as to what should be the avg. load of the system for best performance and how is this load of prstat calculated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stop Prstat using shell script

How to stop the Prstat using shell script ? because after i run the below script the thing seems to be always in loop and cannot get out till i ctrl + c, is there anything that i can add in the script to make it terminate ? <code> #!/bin/sh prstat -Tc -u testing > testing.txt </code> ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: filthymonk
19 Replies

3. Solaris

prstat log

Hi All, But the prstat logs of my system shows:- NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 77 oracle 17G 10G 65% 4:24:47 0.8% Total: 486 processes, 3850 lwps, load averages: 3.77, 4.45, 4.94 What does the MEMORY denotes? Is it the %memory used from RAM? Or is the %memory used by... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipashre
10 Replies

4. Solaris

prstat O/P

Good Evening everyone, I am confused about prstat O/P as it shows memory values which are different from actual value.Below is the O/P of prstat command and swap commands. NPROC USERNAME SIZE RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 48 root 2113M 1590M 1.2% 45:09.39 32% 31 daemon ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvpotugunta
7 Replies

5. Solaris

prstat output

Can someone please explain me the "TIME" field of the output of "prstat -p<pid>" command ? The man page says it is "The cumulative execution time for the process". Does it mean how many hrs:min:sec the process is running ? If so then I'm not getting the desired output. Can someone pls help me in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senabhi
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

prstat

hi all, am writing a ksh script on solaris 9 to get the number of threads taken by a process. am using the prstat -p command to do this. output i get is : :"/export/home/user" > prstat -p 25528 | cut -f2 -d/ NLWP 203 Total: 1 processes, 203 lwps, load averages: 2.58, 3.24, 3.62... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

7. Solaris

prstat

hi all, was trying to figure out how busy my app was by looking at the performance of the app server. did a 'prstat -s rss' command to find the app servers using most memory. Found a command 'prstat -m' which is meant to show more details on each pid but the output of this command... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

prstat output

hi all, have a ksh script where i am doing a prstat -m -u osuser 1 1 >> $FILE_NAME but for some reason it only writes 15 lines wheres when i run the same command manually from command prompt it prints out 60 lines. why is it not writing the full 60 lines to the file ?? ta. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Solaris

prstat on Solaris 8

On Solaris 8, when I try to run prstat 30 5 as a background process, the command exits 1-2 seconds after it's initiated instead of the 30 seconds I specified. It runs fine in interactive mode. Is there a workaround to this I could use? (Upgrading the package is not an option) A link to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devyn
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Understanding prstat

Hello We have a SPARC box running Solaris 10. We have 32 GB of physical memory, 32 GB of swap. Now i want to monitor memory usage for performance tuning. The box is running Sybase database. When I type prstat i get the following PID USERNAME SIZE RSS STATE PRI NICE TIME CPU... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
4 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)