Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Deny root remote login help
Operating Systems Solaris Deny root remote login help Post 302105549 by gonzotonka on Friday 2nd of February 2007 01:57:24 PM
Old 02-02-2007
Thanks guys. I was getting confused between the two (ssh and telnet). I thought that the /etc/default/login file controlled both daemons. I changed the sshd_config file and it stopped ssh and /etc/default/login stopped the telnets.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deny ssh from root - how to?

using redhat 7.2 Is it possible to not allow root to ssh into the server remotely, but allow the account that ssh'd in to the box to su to root? This way there is the added security of a hacker needing two passwords to hack your computer, a username/password for a regular account and also the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theDirtiest
3 Replies

2. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Lost root password / Can't login as root

We have quite a few threads about this subject. I have collected some of them and arranged them by the OS which is primarily discussed in the thread. That is because the exact procedure depends on the OS involved. What's more, since you often need to interact with the boot process, the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

3. AIX

Deny root rlogin

Hi, I have to forbid root-logins on all my servers, expect from two machines, these 2 machines login with root without a password it was quite easy with ssh, but I have a problem regarding rsh/rlogin, an there are a lot of rsh jobs, so it would take a lot of time to change all this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
4 Replies

4. AIX

Problems with disabling remote root login

Hello! I'm going through security checklist for AIX 5.3 and i just can't disable remote login for root through ssh. What i did: - in /etc/security/user i added a line: rlogin = false which works fine when i try to login through telnet - after installation of openSSH i edited... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: veccinho
3 Replies

5. AIX

Can't login root account due to can't find root shell

Hi, yesterday, I changed root's shell in /etc/passwd, cause a mistake then I can not log in root account (can't find correct shell). I attempted to log in single-mode, however, it prompted for single-mode's password then I type root's password but still can not log in. I'm using AIX 5L version 5.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neikel
2 Replies

6. AIX

allow / deny root logins

Hello everyone I have to limit the root logins on my aix box (aix 5.3) I change the value on the /etc/security/user default (login and rlogin) change to false and add to root (rlogin and login = false) I tried in different ways but I got the same. Root still can login I try algo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Remote ssh login as root

I edited my /etc/default/login file and commented the line: # If CONSOLE is set, root can only login on that device. # Comment this line out to allow remote login by root. # #CONSOLE=/dev/console I still cant login thru telnet or ssh. What else do i have to do to be able to login... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
14 Replies

8. BSD

Deny logon for x hours if login failed x times

Hello, I have a small inquiry. Sometimes, my good friend, Charlie Root, sends me security notifications that a possible breakin attempt has occured. It looks like this: Oct 29 06:58:17 cigva sshd: reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for 180.144.164.220.broad.sm.yn.dynamic.163data.com.cn ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brightstorm
2 Replies

9. Linux

How to find remote Linux box login account without login in to that box?

Hi, How to find remote Linux box login account without login in to that box? I don't have login account at my remote Linux box. But I need who are all having login account. How do I findout? Thanks, --Muthu. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuselvan
3 Replies

10. Solaris

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/usr password

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/user password with rlogin we can ujse .rhosts file but with ssh howits possible plz guide (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies
LOGIN_DUO(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      LOGIN_DUO(8)

NAME
login_duo -- second-factor authentication via Duo login service SYNOPSIS
login_duo [-d] [-c file] [-h host] [-f user] [command [args...]] DESCRIPTION
login_duo provides secondary authentication via the Duo authentication service, executing the user's login shell or command only if success- ful. The following options are available: -c Specify an alternate configuration file to load. Default is /etc/duo/login_duo.conf -d Debug mode; send logs to stderr instead of syslog. -h Specify the remote IP address for this login (normally taken from the SSH_CONNECTION environment variable, if set). -f Specify an alternate Duo user to authenticate as. If login_duo is installed setuid root (the default), these options are only available to the super-user. After successful Duo authentication, the user's login shell is invoked, or if an alternate command or SSH_ORIGINAL_COMMAND environment vari- able is specified, it will be executed via the user's shell with a -c option. CONFIGURATION
The INI-format configuration file must have a ``duo'' section with the following options: host Duo API host (required). ikey Duo integration key (required). skey Duo secret key (required). groups If specified, Duo authentication is required only for users whose primary group or supplementary group list matches one of the space-separated pattern-lists (see PATTERNS below). failmode On service or configuration errors that prevent Duo authentication, fail ``safe'' (allow access) or ``secure'' (deny access). Default is ``safe''. pushinfo Send command to be approved via Duo Push authentication. Default is ``no''. An example configuration file: [duo] host = api-deadbeef.duosecurity.com ikey = SI9F...53RI skey = 4MjR...Q2NmRiM2Q1Y pushinfo = yes If installed setuid root (the default), login_duo performs Duo authentication as a dedicated privilege separation user, requiring that the configuration file be owned and readable only by this user. PATTERNS
A pattern consists of zero or more non-whitespace characters, '*' (a wildcard that matches zero or more characters), or '?' (a wildcard that matches exactly one character). A pattern-list is a comma-separated list of patterns. Patterns within pattern-lists may be negated by preceding them with an exclamation mark ('!'). For example, to specify Duo authentication for all users (except those that are also admins), and for guests: groups = users,!wheel,!*admin guests EXAMPLES
login_duo can be enabled system-wide by specifying its full path as a ForceCommand in sshd_config(5) to capture any SSH remote login (includ- ing subsystems, remote commands, and interactive login): ForceCommand /usr/local/sbin/login_duo Similarly, a group of administrators could require two-factor authentication for login to a shared root account by specifying login_duo as the forced command for each public key in ~root/.ssh/authorized_keys: command="/usr/local/sbin/login_duo -f alice" ssh-rsa AAAAB2...19Q== alice@example.net command="/usr/local/sbin/login_duo -f bob" ssh-dss AAAAC3...51R== bob@example.net A user without root access could configure their own account to require Duo authentication via the same ~/.ssh/authorized_keys forced command mechanism and a user-installed (non-setuid) login_duo. FILES
/etc/duo/login_duo.conf Default configuration file path AUTHORS
login_duo was written by Duo Security <duo_unix@duosecurity.com> NOTES
When used to protect remote SSH access, only interactive sessions support interactive Duo login. For scp(1), sftp(1), rsync(1), and other ssh(1) remote commands, login_duo automatically tries the user's default out-of-band factor (smartphone push or voice callback) and disables real-time login progress reporting to provide a clean shell environment. BSD
September 3, 2010 BSD