Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Deny root remote login help
Operating Systems Solaris Deny root remote login help Post 302105541 by Perderabo on Friday 2nd of February 2007 12:23:28 PM
Old 02-02-2007
"However, I'm still able to remotely login to my machine through telnet and/or ssh."
What is that supposed to mean? The change you made should have fixed telnet. Did it? For ssh, put a DenyUsers line in sshd-config. Do a "man sshd-config" for details.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deny ssh from root - how to?

using redhat 7.2 Is it possible to not allow root to ssh into the server remotely, but allow the account that ssh'd in to the box to su to root? This way there is the added security of a hacker needing two passwords to hack your computer, a username/password for a regular account and also the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theDirtiest
3 Replies

2. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Lost root password / Can't login as root

We have quite a few threads about this subject. I have collected some of them and arranged them by the OS which is primarily discussed in the thread. That is because the exact procedure depends on the OS involved. What's more, since you often need to interact with the boot process, the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

3. AIX

Deny root rlogin

Hi, I have to forbid root-logins on all my servers, expect from two machines, these 2 machines login with root without a password it was quite easy with ssh, but I have a problem regarding rsh/rlogin, an there are a lot of rsh jobs, so it would take a lot of time to change all this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
4 Replies

4. AIX

Problems with disabling remote root login

Hello! I'm going through security checklist for AIX 5.3 and i just can't disable remote login for root through ssh. What i did: - in /etc/security/user i added a line: rlogin = false which works fine when i try to login through telnet - after installation of openSSH i edited... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: veccinho
3 Replies

5. AIX

Can't login root account due to can't find root shell

Hi, yesterday, I changed root's shell in /etc/passwd, cause a mistake then I can not log in root account (can't find correct shell). I attempted to log in single-mode, however, it prompted for single-mode's password then I type root's password but still can not log in. I'm using AIX 5L version 5.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neikel
2 Replies

6. AIX

allow / deny root logins

Hello everyone I have to limit the root logins on my aix box (aix 5.3) I change the value on the /etc/security/user default (login and rlogin) change to false and add to root (rlogin and login = false) I tried in different ways but I got the same. Root still can login I try algo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Remote ssh login as root

I edited my /etc/default/login file and commented the line: # If CONSOLE is set, root can only login on that device. # Comment this line out to allow remote login by root. # #CONSOLE=/dev/console I still cant login thru telnet or ssh. What else do i have to do to be able to login... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
14 Replies

8. BSD

Deny logon for x hours if login failed x times

Hello, I have a small inquiry. Sometimes, my good friend, Charlie Root, sends me security notifications that a possible breakin attempt has occured. It looks like this: Oct 29 06:58:17 cigva sshd: reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for 180.144.164.220.broad.sm.yn.dynamic.163data.com.cn ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brightstorm
2 Replies

9. Linux

How to find remote Linux box login account without login in to that box?

Hi, How to find remote Linux box login account without login in to that box? I don't have login account at my remote Linux box. But I need who are all having login account. How do I findout? Thanks, --Muthu. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuselvan
3 Replies

10. Solaris

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/usr password

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/user password with rlogin we can ujse .rhosts file but with ssh howits possible plz guide (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies
KF(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     KF(1)

NAME
kf -- securely forward tickets SYNOPSIS
kf [-p port | --port=port] [-l login | --login=login] [-c ccache | --ccache=ccache] [-F | --forwardable] [-G | --no-forwardable] [-h | --help] [--version] host ... DESCRIPTION
The kf program forwards tickets to a remote host through an authenticated and encrypted stream. Options supported are: -p port, --port=port port to connect to -l login, --login=login remote login name -c ccache, --ccache=ccache remote cred cache -F, --forwardable forward forwardable credentials -G, --no-forwardable do not forward forwardable credentials -h, --help --version kf is useful when you do not want to enter your password on a remote host but want to have your tickets one for example AFS. In order for kf to work you will need to acquire your initial ticket with forwardable flag, i.e. kinit --forwardable. telnet is able to forward tickets by itself. SEE ALSO
kinit(1), telnet(1), kfd(8) Heimdal July 2, 2000 Heimdal