Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Administrator responsibilities Post 302104123 by TheEngineer on Tuesday 23rd of January 2007 01:29:17 PM
Old 01-23-2007
Dear magasem

really it depends on what system you might have, but generally speaking you should be able to manage the following:

1- AIX installation and maintenance and all the required upgrading.
2- configuring and adding any new hardware or any type of peripherals to your system and monitor their working status.
3- monitoring the system performance during peak hours and suggest and recommend upgrading if bottlenecks occurs.
4- storage management and monitoring the resources' usage periodically.
5- the most important, backing up the overall VG's and the ability to restore if required.

and many more depending on what your system is doing.

Regards;

TheEngineer

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sysadmins: your top 10 duties/responsibilities?

For you Unix sysadmins: what are you 10 most common duties/responsibilities as sysadmins and what would you suggest a newbie sysadmin do to learn them? For instance, say adding/deleting users is one of your most common duties. So a newbie would be wise to get familiar with useradd/userdel,... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatkins679
15 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

I want to become a System Administrator

Has anyone got any advice on how I can get a job as a Unix/Solaris system administrator? My current job is supporting an application that runs on Solaris servers. I have very minimal Solaris/Unix skills but would like to expand on them with the aim of getting a junior sys admin role. I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
4 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Roles & Responsibilities of a Linux/Unix administrator

Hi All, At present i have good knowledge and experience in unix/ linux shell scripting. I believe unix shell scripting with administration will be a hot skill set, so I would like to become a Unix/Linux system admin. What are the key skills i have to learn to become a successful administrator.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Help me in responsibilities of solaris admin

Dear friends I have a doubt 4 months back i've completed my Solaris course now i'am searching for job on 2+ years experience please anyone tell me what are the common responsibilities of solaris admin means when i'll get a job what is the common daily work for me in office as a 2+ years... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
7 Replies

6. Linux

Administrator responsibilities, in case of power outage?

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could share some of your knowledge, in the event of a power outage. Let presume you are on duty and you get a call at midnight because half of your cabinets have no power, air conditioning is down and you deal with a ton of 500 error messages on your boxes. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: TECK
9 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Know your System Administrator

Couldn't resist: www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/know.your.sysadmin.html (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: radoulov
1 Replies
PTS_SETMAX(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     PTS_SETMAX(1)

NAME
pts_setmax - Sets the value of the max group id or max user id counter SYNOPSIS
pts setmax [-group <group max>] [-user <user max>] [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] [-help] pts setm [-g group max>] [-u <user max>] [-c <cell name>] [-n] [-l] [-f] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The pts setmax command sets the value of one or both counters that track the IDs the Protection Server allocates to new users, machines, or groups: the "max user id" counter for the AFS user IDs (AFS UIDs) assigned to users and machines, and the "max group id" counter for the AFS group IDs (AFS GIDs) assigned to groups. Use the pts listmax command to display the current value of both counters. OPTIONS
-group <group max> Sets the "max group id" counter. Precede the value with a hyphen to indicate that it is negative. When an administrator next uses the pts creategroup command to create a group entry and does not include that command's -id argument, the Protection Server assigns the group an AFS GID one less (more negative) than this value. -user <user max> Sets the "max user id" counter. When an administrator next uses the pts createuser command to create a user or machine entry and does not include that command's -id argument, the Protection Server assigns the group an AFS UID one greater than this value. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). EXAMPLES
The following command sets the "max group id" counter to -500 and the "max user id" counter to 1000. % pts setmax -group -500 -user 1000 PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must belong to the system:administrators group. SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_creategroup(1), pts_createuser(1), pts_listmax(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_SETMAX(1)