Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Path of Recycle Bin on Windows Post 302103462 by milhan on Thursday 18th of January 2007 04:31:32 PM
Old 01-18-2007
Path of Recycle Bin on Windows

hello everybody,

I am trying to find the path of the Recycle Bin. I know that it's a temporary storage place, but it should have a path that we can refer to.

I want to know it because I sometimes use cygwin to work on Windows, and when you delete something with it, it's gone. I just checked it and the deleted file was not moved to the Recycle Bin.

However, if I know the path to the Recycle Bin, then whenever I need to remove something with cygwin, I can just move it to Recycle Bin. And later if I decide I deleted it accidentally, I can recover it (as is the case on gui)

thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

add bin to variable PATH and save changes

i wrote a script and is running. I add the path bin to variable PATH, i.e. PATH=$PATH/bin. i add this to PATH in order to run the script in any path working directory. Thats ok. The problem is as son as i close the session and start a new session, changes are lost. How can i tell the shell or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

intro to UNIX - making a sort-of recycle bin (for fun)

Hello, I'm only taking Intro to UNIX in school right now, so please bear with me. My problem is with a sort-of recycle-bin rig I've created for fun. I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, I am the admin. (only user, actually) of this computer. I'm using this script in ~/.bashrc # if files exist, remove contents... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recycle Bin Script

Hello, I have having problems with an assignment and am pretty desperate. My assignment is to create a shell script that does a Recycle_Bin tasks. You can only open this with PuTTY software or Knoppix. Perhaps on other software that are able to read linux language. My part is stuck... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chueu
2 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

UNIX Recycle Bin - restore function

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: A set of Linux shell scripts is required to allow users to ‘remove' files without them really disappearing until... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: burn88
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with my recycle bin code

Hi~ I have a problem with my recycle bin code. #!/bin/bash if test !-d ~/.recyclebin #if recycle bin does not exists then mkdir ~/.recyclebin # then create recycle bin else mv $1 ~/.recyclebin #else move the deleted file in the recycle bin fi so when I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zel2zel
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recycle Bin

what is recycle bin mode in unix??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun508.gatike
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add to the search path - bin?

Hi, Now I have: /Users/okn/bin for my private shell scripts. How do I add /Users/okn/bin to my PATH? The PATH is right now: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin The .bash_profile doesn't state anything about a PATH (yet). I read about this: PATH=/bin:$PATH
 export PATH or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OmarKN
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recycle bin on minix 3.2.1?

Hi. I'm started to use minix 3.2.1 recently and I'm trying to create a recycle bin for it. I'm kinda struggling on how to do it. I searched internet and I found scripts created for it but I actually didn't learn how to create scripts in college and I'm not sure if I understand them. I just wanted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ReonarudoB
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recycle bin.

Hi. I've created scripts for a recycle bin that can list, restore and empty it. I only have the problem of deleting two files with the same name. When I do it one file overwrite the other. What could I do to resolve it? The only thing I can think is asking the user to rename file before moving to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReonarudoB
2 Replies
VFS_RECYCLE(8)						    System Administration tools 					    VFS_RECYCLE(8)

NAME
vfs_recycle - Samba VFS recycle bin SYNOPSIS
vfs objects = recycle DESCRIPTION
This VFS module is part of the samba(7) suite. The vfs_recycle intercepts file deletion requests and moves the affected files to a temporary repository rather than deleting them immediately. This gives the same effect as the Recycle Bin on Windows computers. The Recycle Bin will not appear in Windows Explorer views of the network file system (share) nor on any mapped drive. Instead, a directory called .recycle will be automatically created when the first file is deleted and recycle:repository is not configured. If recycle:repository is configured, the name of the created directory depends on recycle:repository. Users can recover files from the recycle bin. If the recycle:keeptree option has been specified, deleted files will be found in a path identical with that from which the file was deleted. This module is stackable. OPTIONS
recycle:repository = PATH Path of the directory where deleted files should be moved. If this option is not set, the default path .recycle is used. recycle:directory_mode = MODE Set MODE to the octal mode the recycle repository should be created with. The recycle repository will be created when first file is deleted. If recycle:subdir_mode is not set, MODE also applies to subdirectories. If this option is not set, the default mode 0700 is used. recycle:subdir_mode = MODE Set MODE to the octal mode with which sub directories of the recycle repository should be created. If this option is not set, subdirectories will be created with the mode from recycle:directory_mode. recycle:keeptree = BOOL Specifies whether the directory structure should be preserved or whether the files in a directory that is being deleted should be kept separately in the repository. recycle:versions = BOOL If this option is True, two files with the same name that are deleted will both be kept in the repository. Newer deleted versions of a file will be called "Copy #x of filename". recycle:touch = BOOL Specifies whether a file's access date should be updated when the file is moved to the repository. recycle:touch_mtime = BOOL Specifies whether a file's last modified date should be updated when the file is moved to the repository. recycle:minsize = BYTES Files that are smaller than the number of bytes specified by this parameter will not be put into the repository. recycle:maxsize = BYTES Files that are larger than the number of bytes specified by this parameter will not be put into the repository. recycle:exclude = LIST List of files that should not be put into the repository when deleted, but deleted in the normal way. Wildcards such as * and ? are supported. recycle:exclude_dir = LIST List of directories whose files should not be put into the repository when deleted, but deleted in the normal way. Wildcards such as * and ? are supported. recycle:noversions = LIST Specifies a list of paths (wildcards such as * and ? are supported) for which no versioning should be used. Only useful when recycle:versions is enabled. EXAMPLES
Move files "deleted" on share to /data/share/.recycle instead of deleting them: [share] path = /data/share vfs objects = recycle recycle:repository = .recycle recycle:keeptree = yes recycle:versions = yes VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3.0.25 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Samba 4.0 06/17/2014 VFS_RECYCLE(8)