Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Permission Problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Permission Problem Post 302102555 by Tornado on Thursday 11th of January 2007 07:09:50 AM
Old 01-11-2007
According to that, Ivan should not be able to remove the file..
Code:
bash-2.05$ ls -al testdir
total 32
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     sys         182 Jan 11 23:03 .
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         181 Jan 11 23:02 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sys           0 Jan 11 23:03 testfile
bash-2.05$ rm testfile
rm: testfile: override protection 644 (yes/no)? yes
rm: testfile not removed: Permission denied
bash-2.05$

Tornado

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File permission problem

I have a crontab job that runs a database backup and directs the output to a log. I ran the job, and the output log file was created with no problems, but now if I try and run the same job again, I keep getting a file exists error. The permissions are: -rw-rw-r-- I also tried changing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jodie
2 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Permission problem

I am having problems editing my options and profile etc. Whenever i do, i am getting a message that says I don't have any permissions. Can u tell me a solution. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockyrak
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to delete file for permission problem

Hi, We are facing problem to delete some logfiles. Explaing with example for clear understanding : we have 2 accounts : prdpqrs (application account) & prodxyz (admin account - not root). Both of them are in same group called 'release' While prodxyz is trying to remove a file owned by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabyasm
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Permission Problem

I ran the sys-unconfig command and now I can't seem to change the permission on that folder evne though I'm the Superuser(Root admin). I need to fix this so the user 'tommy' can login and have his home directory working. How do I fix this??? http://www3.telus.net/superstar/error.jpg (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
6 Replies

5. Linux

dos2unix permission problem

Hi All, I want to use the command "dos2unix" to format the file line break from win to unix, but after changing the file permission has been change to 600. how can i keep the original permisson after formatting? Many thz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
2 Replies

6. Solaris

file permission problem

Hi Expert, Could you tell me what is the meaning of " + " as shown below: drwxr-xrwx+ /opt Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skully
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file permission problem

Hello I have situation where with my user id (group x) I am able to view a file. However if su to another user (different group) I am not able to view. I get permission denied. The file has complete wide open permissions -rwxrwxrwx and I can also cd from root to the directory in which the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akumargolf2000
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission problem

How would i change permissions for a new directory so that i am the only one who has any access to any of the files created in it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with execute my file permission

Here is my script. 1 echo -n "Enter file name : " 2 read file 3 chmod 777 $file 4 && W="write = yes" || W="Write = no" 5 chmod 777 $file 6 && X="Execute = yes" || X="Execute = No" 7 chmod 777 $file 8 && R="Read = yes" || R="Read = No" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: qral_hdr
0 Replies

10. Slackware

K3b permission problem

When I set up to backup /home to a DVD I am incurring a problem with K3B ver. 2.0.2 saying I (root) has insufficient privileges to access /home/myuser/hp-check.log file. It also does this to the lost+found files for /home and /opt. I am root and the file/directory has read+write privs for root.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slak0
1 Replies
profiles(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       profiles(1)

NAME
profiles -- Profiles Tool SYNOPSIS
profiles [[-I | -R | -i] [-F file_path_to_profile]] [[-L] [-U username]] [[-r] [-p profile_id] [-u uuid] [-o output_file_path]] [-PHDdCchfvxVz] DESCRIPTION
profiles allows you to install, remove or list configuration profiles, or to install provisioning profiles. Some commands may only work with elevated privileges, or for the current user. -I Install a configuration profile for a particular user from a profile file. -i Install a provisioning profile from a profile file. -V Verify a provisioning profile from a profile file. -R Remove a configuration profile for a particular user from a profile file. -r Remove a provisioning profile given a identifier and uuid. -L List configuration profile information for a particular user, or the current user if no Username was specified. -F Specify the file path to the profile file. -U Specify the short username. Since you can only install profiles for the current user, this is only useful for validation. -H Returns whether configuration profiles are installed. -P List configuration profile information for everyone. -C List configuration profile information for the computer. -c List provisioning profile information. -p A profile identifier used to locate the configuration or provisioning profile. -u A uuid identifier used to locate the provisioning profile. The uuid must be in its canonical 36 character form. -z The profile removal password. If not specified and the profile requires a removal password, you will be prompted. -o The output file path for profile information (-L, -P, -C, -c) as a plist file. The path argument must be specified to use this option, Use 'stdout' to send this informaton to the console. File output will be written as an XML plist file. The toplevel key will contain the user name, or _computerLevel for device or provisioning profile information. -h Displays help information. -v Enables verbose mode. A 'pass' or 'fail' indicator may also be displayed based on the command return status to stdout. -x Displays tool version number. The version is in the format x.yy, where x will change if new or incompatible commands are added. The version initially starts at 2.00 -f Automatically confirm any questions, or when used with -s, will retry startup profiles at each startup until successfully installed. -D Deletes all existing configuration profiles. It will not update any existing managed preferences. (Requires root privileges) -d Deletes all existing provisioning profiles. (Requires root privileges) -s Sets profile for startup. (Requires root privileges) EXAMPLES
profiles -I -F /testfile.configprofile Installs the profile file 'testfile.mobileconfig' into current user. profiles -R -F /profiles/testfile2.configprofile Removes the profile file '/profiles/testfile2.mobileconfig' into the current user. profiles -H Returns whether or not configuration profiles are installed on the system. profiles -P Displays information on all installed configuration profiles on the system. profiles -L Displays information for installed profiles for the current user. profiles -L -o /outputfile Displays information for installed profiles for the current user and sends the output as a dictionary to /outputfile.plist. profiles -Lv Displays extended information for installed configuration profiles for the current user. profiles -D Removes all configuration profile inforamtion on the system. (see important caveat below) profiles -R -p com.example.profile1 -z pass Removes any installed profiles with the identifier com.example.profile1 in the current user and using a removal password of 'pass'. profiles -s -F /startupprofile.mobileconfig -f Sets up the profile as a startup profile to be triggered at the next system startup time. If the profile can't be installed, it will try again at next startup time. CAVEATS
Certain configuration profiles may be marked as a device profile (system) using the PayloadScope key. However, the profiles tool will ignore the PayloadScope key and install the profile based on how the profile is installed; either a user profile if installed from a user, or a device profile if installed from root (or sudo). Specific payload dictionary information is not available since it may contain sensitive information. Non-sensitive information can be viewed using the System Profiler report. Because this command line tool was not designed to ask for missing information, some profiles may fail to install properly. The only recourse is to insert the missing information before installing the configuration profile. The System Preferences application's Profiles pane is designed to handle the querying of missing information. Configuration profiles installed to the wrong user domain (user vs system) may not behave in the way you expect since the information may not be useful to that particular domain. For example, adding a Mail payload to the system domain will not do anything since Mail payloads must have a user account. Additionally, since profiles are stored by the user shortname and only stored on the local client, care should be taken to not install a profile that could be used by a same named local user. The profiles tool should only be used from the /usr/bin folder since certain operations are privileged and may fail if moved. The -D command removes all configuration profile information without regards for any services it may have set up. This may leave your system in a state that requires you to manually clean up any service (account) information the profile(s) had installed - for all users on that sys- tem. You should not use this command without considering its consequences. There is no way to undo this command. You will be prompted to confirm this command before it will execute. MacOSX March 04, 2013 MacOSX