Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Permission Problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Permission Problem Post 302102539 by tomduck on Thursday 11th of January 2007 05:54:11 AM
Old 01-11-2007
You are allowed to do this because your user ivan has write permissions on the directory which this file is in.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File permission problem

I have a crontab job that runs a database backup and directs the output to a log. I ran the job, and the output log file was created with no problems, but now if I try and run the same job again, I keep getting a file exists error. The permissions are: -rw-rw-r-- I also tried changing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jodie
2 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Permission problem

I am having problems editing my options and profile etc. Whenever i do, i am getting a message that says I don't have any permissions. Can u tell me a solution. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockyrak
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to delete file for permission problem

Hi, We are facing problem to delete some logfiles. Explaing with example for clear understanding : we have 2 accounts : prdpqrs (application account) & prodxyz (admin account - not root). Both of them are in same group called 'release' While prodxyz is trying to remove a file owned by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabyasm
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Permission Problem

I ran the sys-unconfig command and now I can't seem to change the permission on that folder evne though I'm the Superuser(Root admin). I need to fix this so the user 'tommy' can login and have his home directory working. How do I fix this??? http://www3.telus.net/superstar/error.jpg (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
6 Replies

5. Linux

dos2unix permission problem

Hi All, I want to use the command "dos2unix" to format the file line break from win to unix, but after changing the file permission has been change to 600. how can i keep the original permisson after formatting? Many thz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
2 Replies

6. Solaris

file permission problem

Hi Expert, Could you tell me what is the meaning of " + " as shown below: drwxr-xrwx+ /opt Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skully
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file permission problem

Hello I have situation where with my user id (group x) I am able to view a file. However if su to another user (different group) I am not able to view. I get permission denied. The file has complete wide open permissions -rwxrwxrwx and I can also cd from root to the directory in which the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akumargolf2000
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission problem

How would i change permissions for a new directory so that i am the only one who has any access to any of the files created in it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with execute my file permission

Here is my script. 1 echo -n "Enter file name : " 2 read file 3 chmod 777 $file 4 && W="write = yes" || W="Write = no" 5 chmod 777 $file 6 && X="Execute = yes" || X="Execute = No" 7 chmod 777 $file 8 && R="Read = yes" || R="Read = No" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: qral_hdr
0 Replies

10. Slackware

K3b permission problem

When I set up to backup /home to a DVD I am incurring a problem with K3B ver. 2.0.2 saying I (root) has insufficient privileges to access /home/myuser/hp-check.log file. It also does this to the lost+found files for /home and /opt. I am root and the file/directory has read+write privs for root.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slak0
1 Replies
mkcdsl(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 mkcdsl(8)

NAME
mkcdsl - Make a context-dependent symbolic link (CDSL) SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mkcdsl [-bfnqv] [-i | -c | -a] [sourcename] [targetname] OPTIONS
All members. Copy the existing file or directory to a member-specific area on all members. Boot partition. In a cluster, the CDSL is placed on the boot partition. On a standalone system, an entry in added to the CDSL inventory file, and the CDSL will be created on the boot partition when the system is converted to a cluster by running clu_create. Copy the existing file or directory to a member-specific area on this member only. Force the overwriting of the existing CDSL or member-specific file or directory. When the force option is used with a copy option, mkcdsl will overwrite an existing member-specific file or directory. Without the force (-f) option, mkcdsl issues an error or message whenever the physical path of the target differs from the specified targetname (for example, when targetname resolution traverses a symbolic link), or when the source for a specified copy option cannot be found. Unless the -f option is specified, mkcdsl will exit when it encounters a situation that would generate an error message. The mkcdsl command issues a warning message if the specified sourcename differs from the calculated sourcename. However, you do not need the -f option to stop mkcdsl from exiting when it encounters a situation that generates a warning message. Inventory only. Check the files and update the inventory: If targetname is a CDSL, add a new entry or update the existing entry in /var/adm/cdsl_admin.inv. If targetname is not a CDSL or does not exist, remove its entry from /var/adm/cdsl_admin.inv. No execute mode. Display what would be done but do not create or change anything. Quiet. Stdout and stderr are redirected to /dev/null. Verbose. The pathname of the member-specific file to be linked. By default, each CDSL created by mkcdsl has a sourcename that points to the default member-specific area in the file system where the targetname resolves. For example, /usr/cluster/mem- bers/{memb}/ is the default member-specific area for the /usr file system. When issued without an explicit sourcename, mkcdsl creates a sourcename that points to this default member-specific area using a relative pathname. In most cases, this default behavior is satisfac- tory. It creates a relative link that resolves properly regardless of where the file system is mounted. If you specify a sourcename, mkcdsl uses this value as the pathname to the member-specific file or directory. The sourcename must include the member-context path compo- nent {memb}. The pathname of the new CDSL entry to be created. If targetname exists, the -f, -c or -a options are required. If the reso- lution of the targetname traverses any symbolic links or file system mount points, the default value of sourcename is adjusted such that the member-specific files are placed in the same file system to which targetname resolves. DESCRIPTION
A context-dependent symbolic link (CDSL) is a special form of a symbolic link, described in ln(1), whose target pathname includes a vari- able ({memb}). The value of {memb} is determined during pathname resolution, making it possible to maintain member-specific configuration and data files within the clusterwide namespace. The mkcdsl command creates a CDSL, effectively making the specified targetname file or directory member-specific. The command simplifies the creation of a CDSL by automatically calculating a default sourcename, which resolves to the default member-specific area in the file system where the CDSL is created. When mkcdsl creates a CDSL, it adds an inventory entry to a clusterwide CDSL inventory file, /var/adm/cdsl_admin.inv. This entry makes it possible for the cdslinvchk command to check CDSLs created by mkcdsl. The mkcdsl -i option updates the inventory file to reflect the cur- rent state of the CDSL by adding, modifying, or removing entries from the CDSL inventory file. In a cluster, when directed to put a file in a member-specific directory (-c or -a), mkcdsl populates both the member-specific directory or directories and the member0 directory. Although you can run mkcdsl from the command line, the mkcdsl command is designed to be non-interactive; it can be called from scripts without requiring user input to complete a task. EXAMPLES
To create a CDSL, /usr/testfile that points to cluster/members/{memb}/testfile: # mkcdsl /usr/testfile # ls -l /usr/testfile ... /usr/testfile -> cluster/members/{memb}/testfile In the previous example, /usr/testfile must not exist. The CDSL is created in /usr and no files are created in any member's /usr/clus- ter/members/{memb} directory. To copy the existing file or directory /usr/testfile1 to this member's /usr/cluster/members/membern directory and replace it with a CDSL that points to cluster/members/{memb}/testfile1: # mkcdsl -c /usr/testfile1 Although the CDSL references all members, only this member has a copy of the original /usr/testfile1 file. To copy the existing file or directory /usr/testfile2 to all members' /usr/cluster/members/{memb} directories and replace it with a CDSL that points to cluster/members/{memb}/testfile2: # mkcdsl -a /usr/testfile2 All members have a copy of the original /usr/testfile2 file. To create a CDSL and explicitly specify the sourcename: # mkcdsl /usr/share/cluster/members/{memb}/testfile3 /usr/share/doclib/testfile3 *** Warning *** The passed source name, '/usr/share/cluster/members/{memb}/testfile3' differs from the calculated source name: cluster/mem- bers/{memb}/testfile3 Using passed source name: '/usr/share/cluster/members/{memb}/testfile3' Because the specified sourcename differs from mkcdsl's calculated default value, the command issues a warning message. Note that mkcdsl makes the CDSL. The mkcdsl command does not exit on a warning message. It will exit for an *** Error *** message unless the -f option is specified. To add an inventory record for an existing CDSL to the /var/adm/cdsl_admin.inv file: # mkcdsl -i /etc/testfile4 To remove a CDSL and then remove its entry from the /var/adm/cdsl_admin.inv file: # rm /etc/testfile4 # mkcdsl -i /etc/testfile4 Note that removing the CDSL and its entry does not remove any files referenced by the CDSL. EXIT STATUS
The exit values for mkcdsl are: Success. Failure. FILES
Specifies the command path. CDSL administrative inventory file. This file will not exist on all systems. SEE ALSO
Commands: ln(1), cdslinvchk(8) Files: local(4) Miscellaneous: hier(5) mkcdsl(8)