Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete to end of line with SED Post 302102164 by tayyabq8 on Monday 8th of January 2007 11:58:13 PM
Old 01-09-2007
As per your given example:
Code:
$echo "Good Text<extraneous characters" | sed -n -e 's/^\([^<]*\)<.*/\1/p'
Good Text

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed to end of line

I know this is going to be an easy anwer, but I haven't been able to figure this out - even with the help of the previous posts. I want to go from this PROD USER anon; to this TEST; I have coded a few sed commands, and none of them are getting the job done. anon will not always be the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : delete ^M at the end of the line

Hi all, I'm newbi in scripting. could someone tell how to delete the ^M at the end of the linie with an awk command. many thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liliput
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED: How to delete from expression to end of line

I have the following line(s) of text in a file: Card: H'00f2 Elapsed Time (day - h:m:s): 0 - 21:14:18.5 I basically want to search for "Elapsed Time", then delete this and everything else to the end of the line. I've tried a lot of different things, but cannot seem to get rid of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rtstanley
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent! Sed/Awk Filter Find Pattern Delete Till End Of Line

Hi, I need help with using an awk or sed filter on the below line ALTER TABLE "ACCOUNT" ADD CONSTRAINT "ACCOUNT_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("ACCT_ID") USING INDEX PCTFREE 10 INITRANS 2 MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 65536 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1) TABLESPACE "WMC_DATA" LOGGING ENABLE Look for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent Help required : awk/sed help to find pattern and delete till end of line

Hi, I need help with using an awk or sed filter on the below line ALTER TABLE "ACCOUNT" ADD CONSTRAINT "ACCOUNT_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("ACCT_ID") USING INDEX PCTFREE 10 INITRANS 2 MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 65536 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1) TABLESPACE "WMC_DATA" LOGGING ENABLE Look for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete to end of formatted warnings using sed or cut...

hi, i've searched the forums' entries and have tried some of the examples -- to no avial -- this is my first post -- thanks in advance for your help... As part of an installation program -- i'm receiving two(2) extraneous "libcxb WARNING!" statements -- i want to use sed to eliminate the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickkar
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing end of line using SED

Hello Friends, How can I remove the last two values of this line using sed John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638:9/3/90:45900 The result should look like this: John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humkhn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing until end of line

All: Can somebody help me out with a sed command, which removes the the first occurance of ')' until the end of the line If I have the following input ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete trailing whitespace from end of each line in column 1 only

Hi All. How can I convert this: ABC_1_1 ABC_1_2 ABC_1_3 into this: ABC_1 1 ABC_1 2 ABC_1 3 I tried this command but it is not working: awk '{sub(/+$/,"\t", $1)}{print}' Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thank you :wall: Please use code tags when posting data and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines that contain a pattern from specific line to the end.

Gents, I am trying to delete all lines which start with "H" character, but keeping the fist header. Example In the input file I will delete all lines starting from line 8 which contents character "H" to the end of the file. I try sed '8,10000{/^H/d;}' file But as don't know the end... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiam912
1 Replies
XML::DOM::Text(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 XML::DOM::Text(3)

NAME
XML::DOM::Text - A piece of XML text in XML::DOM DESCRIPTION
XML::DOM::Text extends XML::DOM::CharacterData, which extends XML::DOM::Node. The Text interface represents the textual content (termed character data in XML) of an Element or Attr. If there is no markup inside an element's content, the text is contained in a single object implementing the Text interface that is the only child of the element. If there is markup, it is parsed into a list of elements and Text nodes that form the list of children of the element. When a document is first made available via the DOM, there is only one Text node for each block of text. Users may create adjacent Text nodes that represent the contents of a given element without any intervening markup, but should be aware that there is no way to represent the separations between these nodes in XML or HTML, so they will not (in general) persist between DOM editing sessions. The normalize() method on Element merges any such adjacent Text objects into a single node for each block of text; this is recommended before employing operations that depend on a particular document structure, such as navigation with XPointers. METHODS splitText (offset) Breaks this Text node into two Text nodes at the specified offset, keeping both in the tree as siblings. This node then only contains all the content up to the offset point. And a new Text node, which is inserted as the next sibling of this node, contains all the content at and after the offset point. Parameters: offset The offset at which to split, starting from 0. Return Value: The new Text node. DOMExceptions: o INDEX_SIZE_ERR Raised if the specified offset is negative or greater than the number of characters in data. o NO_MODIFICATION_ALLOWED_ERR Raised if this node is readonly. perl v5.12.1 2000-01-31 XML::DOM::Text(3)