Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete to end of line with SED Post 302102151 by coldcanuck on Monday 8th of January 2007 06:54:52 PM
Old 01-08-2007
delete to end of line with SED

I have a file with a bunch of similar lines in which I want to extract a phrase delimited by the first occurance of a '>' at the beginning and the first occurance of a '<' at the end (you might have guessed these are beginning/end of HTML tags). Using Sed I have managed to delete up to and including th first '>'. Now I want to delete from the '<' to the end of each line.

e.g.
Good Text<extraneous characters

I want to delete the '<extraneous characters' part.

Any suggestions?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed to end of line

I know this is going to be an easy anwer, but I haven't been able to figure this out - even with the help of the previous posts. I want to go from this PROD USER anon; to this TEST; I have coded a few sed commands, and none of them are getting the job done. anon will not always be the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : delete ^M at the end of the line

Hi all, I'm newbi in scripting. could someone tell how to delete the ^M at the end of the linie with an awk command. many thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liliput
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED: How to delete from expression to end of line

I have the following line(s) of text in a file: Card: H'00f2 Elapsed Time (day - h:m:s): 0 - 21:14:18.5 I basically want to search for "Elapsed Time", then delete this and everything else to the end of the line. I've tried a lot of different things, but cannot seem to get rid of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rtstanley
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent! Sed/Awk Filter Find Pattern Delete Till End Of Line

Hi, I need help with using an awk or sed filter on the below line ALTER TABLE "ACCOUNT" ADD CONSTRAINT "ACCOUNT_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("ACCT_ID") USING INDEX PCTFREE 10 INITRANS 2 MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 65536 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1) TABLESPACE "WMC_DATA" LOGGING ENABLE Look for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent Help required : awk/sed help to find pattern and delete till end of line

Hi, I need help with using an awk or sed filter on the below line ALTER TABLE "ACCOUNT" ADD CONSTRAINT "ACCOUNT_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("ACCT_ID") USING INDEX PCTFREE 10 INITRANS 2 MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 65536 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1) TABLESPACE "WMC_DATA" LOGGING ENABLE Look for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete to end of formatted warnings using sed or cut...

hi, i've searched the forums' entries and have tried some of the examples -- to no avial -- this is my first post -- thanks in advance for your help... As part of an installation program -- i'm receiving two(2) extraneous "libcxb WARNING!" statements -- i want to use sed to eliminate the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickkar
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing end of line using SED

Hello Friends, How can I remove the last two values of this line using sed John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638:9/3/90:45900 The result should look like this: John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humkhn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing until end of line

All: Can somebody help me out with a sed command, which removes the the first occurance of ')' until the end of the line If I have the following input ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete trailing whitespace from end of each line in column 1 only

Hi All. How can I convert this: ABC_1_1 ABC_1_2 ABC_1_3 into this: ABC_1 1 ABC_1 2 ABC_1 3 I tried this command but it is not working: awk '{sub(/+$/,"\t", $1)}{print}' Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thank you :wall: Please use code tags when posting data and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines that contain a pattern from specific line to the end.

Gents, I am trying to delete all lines which start with "H" character, but keeping the fist header. Example In the input file I will delete all lines starting from line 8 which contents character "H" to the end of the file. I try sed '8,10000{/^H/d;}' file But as don't know the end... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiam912
1 Replies
rsm_intr_signal_post(3RSM)			      Remote Shared Memory Library Functions				rsm_intr_signal_post(3RSM)

NAME
rsm_intr_signal_post, rsm_intr_signal_wait - signal or wait for an event SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lrsm [ library... ] #include <rsmapi.h> int rsm_intr_signal_post(void *memseg, uint_t flags); int rsm_intr_signal_wait(void *memseg, int timeout); DESCRIPTION
The rsm_intr_signal_post() and rsm_intr_signal_wait() functions are event functions that allow synchronization between importer processes and exporter processes. A process may block to wait for an event occurance by calling rsm_intr_signal_wait(). A process can signal a wait- ing process when an event occurs by calling rsm_intr_signal_post(). The rsm_intr_signal_post() function signals an event occurance. Either an import segment handle (rsm_memseg_import_handle_t) or an export segment handle (rsm_memseg_export_handle_t) may be type cast to a void pointer for the memseg argument. If memseg refers to an import han- dle, the exporting process is signalled. If memseg refers to an export handle, all importers of that segment are signalled. The flags argu- ment may be set to RSM_SIGPOST_NO_ACCUMULATE; this will cause this event to be discarded if an event is already pending for the target seg- ment. The rsm_intr_signal_wait() function allows a process to block and wait for an event occurance. Either an import segment handle (rsm_mem- seg_import_handle_t) or an export segment handle (rsm_memseg_export_handle_t) may be type cast to a void pointer for the memseg argument. The process blocks for up to timeout milliseconds for an event to occur; if the timeout value is -1, the process blocks until an event occurs or until interrupted. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return 0. Otherwise, an error value is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The rsm_intr_signal_post() and rsm_intr_signal_wait() functions can return the following error: RSMERR_BAD_SEG_HNDL Invalid segment handle. The rsm_intr_signal_post() function can return the following error: RSMERR_CONN_ABORTED Connection aborted. RSMERR_REMOTE_NODE_UNREACHABL Remote node not reachable. The rsm_intr_signal_wait() function can return the following errors: RSMERR_INTERRUPTED Wait interrupted. RSMERR_TIMEOUT Timer expired. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
rsm_memseg_get_pollfd(3RSM), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 7 Nov 2002 rsm_intr_signal_post(3RSM)