Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Send messages using finger
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Send messages using finger Post 302101846 by adhirgarg on Thursday 4th of January 2007 11:30:11 PM
Old 01-05-2007
You can use "talk" too

talk is another feature provided by UNIX.

look for "man talk" in UNIX prompt

Regards
Adhir

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger and newsgroups

Hi, I've been using unix at college for a few weeks now and I have come up against a few stumbling blocks: - Most unix commands seem to work w/ regexps - the computers I and my group are allowed to logon to are all itsunXX where XX is a number. if I can {finger @itsun88} to find out that I and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_man_who
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger

is there a way to show information on all the users on your system? when i use 'finger' is only shows users names and info who are currently on the system. is there a way to show all accounts? thanx! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: djatwork
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in finger command.

Hi, iam using sunsolaris. when you type finger command -- it dispalys information about local and remote users. but here it shows as can't stat /dev/gold:8664 can anybody help what is the solution for this error. previously the output came. thanks, shan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanshine
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger

Is there any possible way to get rid of the header when I do finger ? I want to get rid of Login Name Tty Idle Login Time Office Office Phone as the header. Please let me know how to do it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Not send messages in my zone:

I have spark t1000 server in my corp, in global (ip 172.17.0.44) have zone(name www2) ip 172.17.0.15: In moment when i tried to send {code}#uuencode stats.zip stats.zip | mailx sotnav@domain.ru{code}a message whith sendmail on my www2 I have syslog: {code} What's problem please help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sotich82
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why can't I send messages to a remote domain

Hi there, I rent two servers hosted by the same provider: OVH. On server1, I use the mail command to send alert emails to my personal address and it works fine. On server2, which is newly instaled, I tried the following command and got this answer: Is there any other package that I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finger command

I want to know the correct version of how i should use the finger command in this example below.(os is debian lenny) (nymserver.pl is located in /home/nymserv directory.) the two versions are : (in/etc/inetd.conf) finger stream tcp nowait nymuser /usr/nym/nymserv nymserv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xstation
3 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

program to send messages to parent using pipes and select system call

Write a program using select, which will create some number of child processes that continuously send text messages to the parent process using pipes. Each child has its own pipe that it uses to communicate with the parent. The parent uses select () to decide what pipes should be processed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ripssingh
1 Replies

9. Solaris

RWSocket::send: Broken pipe Error in /var/adm/messages

Hi Guys, I am getting some strange error in /var/adm/messages in my Solaris 10 box with Veritas Cluster and EMC storage. bash-3.00$ cat /var/adm/messages | egrep -v "lw8|snmp|sshd|xntpd|kern.info|LOGIN|link|service|started|finished|repeated|SS7 Log-daemon|success" Dec 18 09:58:35 GAMMa2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek.goel.piet
1 Replies
talk(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   talk(1)

NAME
talk - Converses with another user SYNOPSIS
talk user [tty_name] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: talk: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
The name of the desired recipient in the form returned by the who utility. [Tru64 UNIX] If the second user is on a remote host, the name of the host must be specified in one of the following ways: user@host host!user host.user host:user If the recipient is logged in more than once, the tty_name argument can be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name. If tty_name is not specified, the talk message is displayed on one or more accessible terminals in use by the recipient. The format of tty_name is the same as that returned by the who command. DESCRIPTION
The talk command allows two users to enter text simultaneously into windows displayed on each other's terminals. To initiate a conversa- tion, one user executes talk and specifies the second user's username. [Tru64 UNIX] When using full domain names, the only valid form for specifying the user and host is user@host. For example, andy@host17.dev.abc.com initiates a conversation with user andy at host host17 in the dev.abc.com domain. When the first user initiates the conversation, a message is sent to the second user. If the first user also specifies tty_name, the invi- tation message is sent to the specified terminal. Otherwise, the invitation is sent to the terminal on the remote host on which the second user first logged in. Once this invitation is received, talk displays two windows on the first user's terminal and displays progress mes- sages until the second user responds to the initial message. If the second user wants to have the conversation, the second user also executes talk from any terminal and specifies the first user's account name and hostname, if appropriate. If the second user accepts the invitation, talk displays two windows on the second user's ter- minal. One window displays what is typed by the local user; the other displays what is typed by the remote user. To end the conversation and close the connection, either user can press the Interrupt key sequence. If the second user does not want to permit talk invitations, that user should issue the mesg n command. The talk command processes characters as follows: Typing the <alert> character alerts the recipient's terminal. Typing <Ctrl-L> causes the sender's screen regions to be refreshed. Typing the Erase and Kill characters affects the sender's terminal as described on the termios reference page. Typing the Interrupt or End-of-File characters terminates the local talk program. Once the talk session has been termi- nated on one side, the other side of the session is notified that the talk session has been terminated and this side can do nothing except exit. Typing characters from LC_TYPE classifications print or space causes those characters to be sent to the recipient's terminal. The talk command fails when a user lacks the appropriate privileges to perform the requested action. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] The talk command uses the talk 4.3BSD protocol, which is not compatible with 4.2BSD versions of talk. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred or your terminal is incapable of supporting talk. EXAMPLES
If john at host1 wants to talk to fred, who is logged in on host2, john enters: $ talk fred@host2 The following message is displayed on fred's terminal: Message from TalkDaemon@host1 at 15:16... talk: connection requested by john@host1. talk: respond with: talk john@host1 To accept the invitation, fred enters: $ talk john@host1 To talk to fred only if he is logged in on the console at host2, enter: $ talk fred@host2 console ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of *cmd*: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multbyte characters in arguments and input files). If the recipient's locale does not use an LC_CTYPE equivalent to yours, the results are undefined. Determines the locale for the format and contents of diag- nostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: mesg(1), named(8), stty(1), talkd(8), who(1), write(1) Standards: standards(5) talk(1)