Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Send messages using finger
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Send messages using finger Post 302101802 by Krrishv on Thursday 4th of January 2007 12:13:49 PM
Old 01-04-2007
Send messages using finger

How to send messages to other terminals using finger command

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger and newsgroups

Hi, I've been using unix at college for a few weeks now and I have come up against a few stumbling blocks: - Most unix commands seem to work w/ regexps - the computers I and my group are allowed to logon to are all itsunXX where XX is a number. if I can {finger @itsun88} to find out that I and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_man_who
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger

is there a way to show information on all the users on your system? when i use 'finger' is only shows users names and info who are currently on the system. is there a way to show all accounts? thanx! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: djatwork
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in finger command.

Hi, iam using sunsolaris. when you type finger command -- it dispalys information about local and remote users. but here it shows as can't stat /dev/gold:8664 can anybody help what is the solution for this error. previously the output came. thanks, shan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanshine
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger

Is there any possible way to get rid of the header when I do finger ? I want to get rid of Login Name Tty Idle Login Time Office Office Phone as the header. Please let me know how to do it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Not send messages in my zone:

I have spark t1000 server in my corp, in global (ip 172.17.0.44) have zone(name www2) ip 172.17.0.15: In moment when i tried to send {code}#uuencode stats.zip stats.zip | mailx sotnav@domain.ru{code}a message whith sendmail on my www2 I have syslog: {code} What's problem please help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sotich82
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why can't I send messages to a remote domain

Hi there, I rent two servers hosted by the same provider: OVH. On server1, I use the mail command to send alert emails to my personal address and it works fine. On server2, which is newly instaled, I tried the following command and got this answer: Is there any other package that I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finger command

I want to know the correct version of how i should use the finger command in this example below.(os is debian lenny) (nymserver.pl is located in /home/nymserv directory.) the two versions are : (in/etc/inetd.conf) finger stream tcp nowait nymuser /usr/nym/nymserv nymserv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xstation
3 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

program to send messages to parent using pipes and select system call

Write a program using select, which will create some number of child processes that continuously send text messages to the parent process using pipes. Each child has its own pipe that it uses to communicate with the parent. The parent uses select () to decide what pipes should be processed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ripssingh
1 Replies

9. Solaris

RWSocket::send: Broken pipe Error in /var/adm/messages

Hi Guys, I am getting some strange error in /var/adm/messages in my Solaris 10 box with Veritas Cluster and EMC storage. bash-3.00$ cat /var/adm/messages | egrep -v "lw8|snmp|sshd|xntpd|kern.info|LOGIN|link|service|started|finished|repeated|SS7 Log-daemon|success" Dec 18 09:58:35 GAMMa2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek.goel.piet
1 Replies
FINGER.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    FINGER.CONF(5)

NAME
finger.conf -- finger(1) alias configuration file DESCRIPTION
The optional finger.conf file is used to provide aliases that can be fingered by local and network users. This may be useful where a user's login name is not the same as their preferred mail address, or for providing virtual login names than can be fingered. Lines beginning with ``#'' are comments. Other lines must consist of an alias name and a target name separated by a colon. A target name should be either a user, a forward reference to another alias or the path of a world readable file. Where an alias points to a file, the contents of that file will be displayed when the alias is fingered. FILES
/etc/finger.conf finger(1) alias definition data base EXAMPLES
# /etc/finger.conf alias definition file # # Format alias:(user|alias) # # Individual aliases # markk:mkn john.smith:dev329 john:dev329 sue:/etc/finger/sue.txt # # Network status message # status:/usr/local/etc/status.txt # # Administrative redirects # root:admin postmaster:admin abuse:admin # # For the time being, 'sod' is sysadmin. # admin:sod SEE ALSO
finger(1) HISTORY
Support for the finger.conf file was submitted by Mark Knight <markk@knigma.org> and first appeared in FreeBSD 4.2. BSD
August 16, 2000 BSD