Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris grep and display few lines before and after Post 302101582 by ranj@chn on Wednesday 3rd of January 2007 07:54:17 AM
Old 01-03-2007
little explanation required

Hi Ygor,

Could you explain this awk code. I am a bit confused with this.

Regards,
Ranj

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make grep -c display like grep -n?

Hey Guys, Wondering if there is a way to do the following I have a file called test.txt abc def abc abc def I have a pattern file called pattern.txt containing the following abc def I want to do a count, but have it display the count value preceeding each line like grep -n (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jerrad
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with "grep", need to display several lines

I have a file from which I need to collect lines to another file. I know how to use 'grep' for this, but I don't know how to do when I wan't several lines after the search word, and the amount of lines I need varies from case to case. The file I search in looks something like this: >8534734... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Draken
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and display n lines after the match is found.

Hello, How do I use grep to find a pattern in a list of file and then display 5 lines after the pattern is matched Eg: I want to match the string GetPresentCode in all files in a folder and then see 4 lines following this match. I am not sure if grep is what should be used to achieve. Thanks!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv_pan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and display lines from a file

I have to grep on a few words in a file and then display the line containing those words and the line above it. For ex - File1.txt contains... abc xyz abc This is a test Test successful abc xyz abc Just a test Test successful I find the words 'Test successful' in the file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user7617
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep and zgrep then display the next few lines

Hello everyone. I would like to know if I can use grep or zgrep to search for a particular pattern then print the x number of lines after the pattern was found. Lets say for example a pattern was found on line 3, I wanted the output to show lines 3, 4 and 5. Thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep word after last occurance of string and display next few lines

Hi, I wanted to grep string "ERROR" and "WORNING" after last occurrence of String "Starting" only and wanted to display two lines after searched ERROR and WORNING string and one line before. I have following cronjob log file "errorlog" file and I have written the code for same in Unix as below... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple exact match, do not display lines

Hi, Need help to grep the following from a file x. I just want to grep exact match not lines and not partial word. CONFSUCCESS CONFFAIL CONFPARTIALSUCCESS >cat x xczxczxczc zczczcxx CONFSUCCESS czczczcczc czxxczxzxczcczc CONFFAIL xczxczcxcczczc zczczczcz CONFPARTIALSUCCESS czczxcxzc ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshwebspere
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep pattern and display all lines below

Hi I need to grep for a patter and display all lines below the pattern. For ex: say my file has the below lines file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 I NEED to grep for patter file3 and display all lines below the pattern. do we have an option to get this data. Let me know if you require... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and display multiple lines

Hi guys, I have a log file that generates multiple logs about a query. <query time='2016-04-13 13:01:50.825'> <PagingRequestHandler> <Before>brand:vmu</Before> <After>brand:vmu</After> </PagingRequestHandler> <GroupDeviceFilterHandler> <Before>brand:vmu</Before> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display lines for a particular year in a file using grep

hi, I have a log file with data for more than 3 years, i want only the rows for the year 2017, say for example. My file has the data like this 08-OCT-2015 11:17:35 AAA, BBBB 08-OCT-2017 11:17:35 AAA,Bdfdfd,dfdfd,dfd 08-Nov-2017 11:17:35 AAA,Bdfdfd,dfdfd,deree i want the rows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skoshekay
2 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)