Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check password age
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check password age Post 302100183 by anbu23 on Monday 18th of December 2006 04:29:04 AM
Old 12-18-2006

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

password check

Hi While using Pipe concept ,if a user enters a "login name" and "paswword" ,then how does a child process check for user password is correct or not and give notification to parent process. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riya
1 Replies

2. Solaris

password complexity check

Hi, I am looking for a simple way to : - force the user to change his password following the first connexion - check the complexity of a password (password should has a least 8 characters with 1 special char and 1 alpha...). Thinks for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dbsora
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to set Root password age limit in Solaris 9/10

Hi Friends, Can anyone tell me how can I set the password age limit for root user to 14 days....??? Also would like to add following for root password; min-alpha --- 4 min-other --- 1 min-length -- 6 min-diff ----- 3 How can I do these on command line....??? Regards, jumadhiya (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
7 Replies

4. AIX

"password min age" setting

How do you change default setting on password expiration field? My default setting has 15 weeks for "password min age", and I would like it to be 0 for all of my current users as well as futures users created. I guess there's a default file that I need to update, but I don't know where it is.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I check that a password is correct?

Hi there, There's something I don't understand. The same string does not give the same md5 hash everytime. I wanted to find a way to check someone's password but the following script obviously shows that it's not possible that way : ks354286:~# user=foo ks354286:~# pw=$(mkpasswd -H md5... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

max age password question

Hi All, I got a definition on /etc/login.defs PASS_MAX_DAYS 41 and on /etc/shadow, most of the user id fifth column (max age) is 40. Is that different policy or not? If it is the same policy, then the above policy don't match, right. Thanks for any comment you may add. Cheers,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check password strength

For moderator: I made a new thread in a proper part of the forum now https://www.unix.com/homework-coursework-questions/137119-user-processes.html But now i wan't to make something which isn't related to a homework, so i hope you won't close this one. Thanks to those two answers, you helped me!... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: petel1
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Check when password expires

How do I check to see when a password expires on a user account with using the CLI? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check for valid password

I need to check if an account has a valid password. Would something like this work? read ACCNAME if grep -q "^$ACCNAME:\$6:" /etc/shadow; thenI noticed every entry in my shadow file that has a password starts with $6 ... it works for my current setup, but would it always work? I can't test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ADay2Long
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check age of the file

hi, i am working on a shell script where i have 2 files & i need to check age of those files. one file should be of the same day and other shoudn't be more then 20 days old. how could i acheive this? please help!!!! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
10 Replies
shift(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)