Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: calculator program..
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting calculator program.. Post 302099878 by Glenn Arndt on Thursday 14th of December 2006 11:36:29 AM
Old 12-14-2006
Sounds like homework.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculator

I am pretty new to the Unix word, and have created a working calculator script. I have one problem. It doesn't use any decimals, it rounds off to the nearest whole number. 1 #!/bin/ksh 2 while true; do 3 echo -n "Enter the first integer: "; read IN1 4 test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ironhead3fan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

calculator

hi, im new to the unix system and scripting and was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem iv been havin... i want the system to: 1. ask me for a number 2. ask me for a command to use on that number (* + - /) 3. ask me for another number 4. then ask me for another command, if the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdougy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Calculator issue

Hello, I'm relatively new to using bc so I could use some help. In this script im working on I want to have the bc function to calculate float numbers for imagemagicks convert charcoal. Below is what I'm talking about. There are no syntax errors but when it outputs the users frames for example 0-10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsells20
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with calculator code

Hi Guys, I found this code in net.. it is working fine.. But can anybody explain me the sed statement used in the code.. echo "Enter the expression:\c" read express eval echo "$express"|sed 's/^/'$precision' \ /'|bc -l|\ sed -n '1,${ /syntax/!{ } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission bit calculator ???

Hi, Does anyone have a UNIX permission bit calculator script that I can use? Basically, am looking for one where I don't have to a ls -l to check the permission on a file or directory. Am looking for a script that will display the permission bits and then just display what those permission... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Simple Calculator

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known/data: Script a simple calculator. In the command line enter the script file /home/etc/mycalc or /home/etc/mycalc 1 +... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: herb bertz
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't get my program to run -- GC calculator?

have been trying for a few weeks not to get this program running. I am newer to programming and it has definitely been a challenge. I think my problem arises with my if statement. I can get it to append the name to the new file, but it simply appends the whole sequence to the file rather than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haley6719
3 Replies
IC(1)							      General Commands Manual							     IC(1)

NAME
ic - integer calculator SYNOPSIS
ic [expression] EXAMPLES
ic # Start the calculator ic 250 300+ # Start calculator with 550 on the stack DESCRIPTION
Ic is a simple RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) calculator, used for small calculations and base conversions. All calculations are done using 32 bit integers. The standard input is usually a keyboard and the standard output requires a device with a 'termcap' entry. The program starts by interpreting any <args> as commands, where the separation between arguments is considered to be the same as the ENTER key. For example, "ic 692 784+ After reading the arguments input is from the keyboard. Stack Operations The operation of this program is similar to an RPN calculator. A six level stack is used. The ENTER key pushes the stack up one level. For example, '12+5' is entered as '12 ENTER 5 +". The top two entries on the stack are exchanged by the x command, and the stack is rolled down one (popped) by the p key. The top of the stack may be cleared by pressing the back-space key. The whole stack and the registers are initialized by a z. Numeric Entry The input and output bases are initially decimal, but they may be changed using the i and o commands. The i command changes both bases, but the o command changes just the output base. These commands take a one character argument of h, d, o or b to change to Hexadecimal, Deci- mal, Octal or Binary. While the input base is hexadecimal the letters a through f are used to represent the decimal values 10 through 15. When the input base is decimal: multiply, divide and remainder are signed, otherwise they are performed unsigned. The output base may also be changed to ASCII (a), this causes the least significant 7 bits of a value to be displayed as a character. To input an ASCII value the translate (t) command may be used, it accepts one character as its argument. Calculations The arithmetic operations supported are: Negate ('.'), Add ('+'), Subtract ('-'), Multiply ('*'), Divide ('/'), and Remainder ('%'). The logical (Boolean) operations available are: NOT ('~'), AND ('&'), OR ('|'), and EXCLUSIVE-OR ('^'). After one of these operations the last top of stack value is saved. It may be restored by pressing l (L). Saving Results Ten temporary registers are available. The Store (s) command followed by a digit ('0'..'9') will copy the top of the stack to the specified register. The Recall (r) command pushes the contents of a register onto the top of the stack. If the Store command is followed by a '+' preceding the digit, then the top of the stack will be added to the specified 'accumulator' reg- ister. Values may also be written to a file. The w command writes the top of the stack, using the current output base, to a file called 'pad' in the current directory. If the user does not have write access to the current directory then the file /tmp/pad_$USER is used as the scratch pad. The scratch pad file is erased on the first use of the w command within each new invocation of 'ic'. Miscellaneous The Quit (q) key causes an immediate exit. The m command temporarily leaves ic by invoking the shell as a sub-process. For help while using ic, hit the h key. If an erroneous key is pressed the bell will sound. Command Summary Note that many commands have an alternative key-code available on the extended AT keyboard. This aids entry by including most commands on the right side of the keyboard. ENTER Enter (push up) BS (DEL) Clear top of stack h Help i Input base (h, d, o, b) l (PGDN) Last top of stack m MINIX shell o Output base (h, d, o, b, a) p (DOWN) Pop stack (roll down) q (END) Quit r (LEFT) Recall (0-9) s (RIGHT) Store [+] (0-9) t Translate (char) w (PGUP) Write top of stack to scratch pad x (UP) Exchange top of stack z (HOME) Zero all state . Change sign + (+) Add - (-) Subtract * Multiply / Divide % (sh/5) Remainder (tilde) Not & And | Or ^ Exclusive-or Author Ic was written by Terrence W. Holm. IC(1)