Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell command?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell command? Post 302099372 by tmallen on Monday 11th of December 2006 08:25:37 PM
Old 12-11-2006
This is killing me. I've been trying different methods for three days now, and still no luck. Part of the problem may be that the previous command has never been successful either:

shell> kill `cat /mysql-data-directory/host_name.pid`

because this hasn't worked (you can see it in the link from my original post) I've shut off the server using my preferences pane in OSX. In any case,

shell> ./mysqld_safe --init-file=~/mysql-init &

hasn't worked for me, unfortunately. I get the same old "-sh: shell: command not found" error.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use more than one MPE command STREAM with Unix command in a single shell?

Hello, I have problem in writing the shell script involving MPE command STREAM related to HP-UX and Unix command. Script is sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name1>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name2>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name3>' |... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bosskr
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to use more than one MPE command STREAM with Unix command in a single shell?

Hello, I have problem in writing the shell script involving MPE command STREAM related to HP-UX and Unix command. Script is sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name1>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name2>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name3>' |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bosskr
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Write Shell Script based off of this shell command

I'm trying to read a bunch of log files and output the lines that contain particular strings. To accomplish this, I've been running the following from the command line: find . -name "*" | xargs grep " " | grep " " > output.txt Two grep statements are needed in case I'm looking for a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rally_Point
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

can anyone help with shell script command about searching word with grep command?

i want to search in the current directory all the files that contain one word for example "hello" i want to achieve it with the grep command but not with the grep * (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with shell script: cp command not working, but mv command works...

Hello. I would like to ask your help regarding the cp command. We are using a cp command to create a back-up copy of our file but to no avail. It's just not working. We already checked the file and directory permissions and all seems correct. We have a script (ftp.script) which calls on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udelalv
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any shell or hack that makes the shell command line take vi commands?

basically i'm tired of hitting the left arrow a few dozen times when correcting a mistake or modifying a history command i'd like to use vim style key shortcuts while on the command line so that a 55 moves the cursor 55 places to the left... and i want all the other vi goodies, search of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marqul
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

When i am trying to execute export command within a shell script it is saying command not found.

I am running the export command within a view to use that value inside my build script. But while executing it it is saying "export command not found" My code is as follows: -------------------------- #!/bin/sh user="test" DIR="/bldtmp/"$user VIEW="test.view1" echo "TMPDIR before export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchoudhury
4 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

command to run another shell on top of your default shell?

Can someone point me to the right command to to run another shell on top of your default shell? Thanks PS If admin sees this It is not home work. I am old man who wants to learn unix in my spare time. I CURRENTLY DO NOT GO SCHOOL, COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill Thompson
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which of the following command displays your login shell in bash shell?

Options:: A)$shell B)echo $ bash C)echo $ O D)$ O (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghugowda
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script not working but command works in command prompt

Hi everyone I have a problem with my script If I try directly this command /usr/bin/nice -n 19 mysqldump -u root --password="******" wiki_schneider -c | nice -n 19 gzip -9 > /point_de_montage/$(date '+%Y%m%d')-wiki-db.sql.gz It works But if I simply add this command in a script and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: picemma
8 Replies
CTRLALTDEL(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     CTRLALTDEL(8)

NAME
ctrlaltdel - set the function of the Ctrl-Alt-Del combination SYNOPSIS
ctrlaltdel hard|soft DESCRIPTION
Based on examination of the linux/kernel/sys.c code, it is clear that there are two supported functions that the Ctrl-Alt-Del sequence can perform: a hard reset, which immediately reboots the computer without calling sync(2) and without any other preparation; and a soft reset, which sends the SIGINT (interrupt) signal to the init process (this is always the process with PID 1). If this option is used, the init(8) program must support this feature. Since there are now several init(8) programs in the Linux community, please consult the documentation for the version that you are currently using. ctrlaltdel is usually used in the /etc/rc.local file. FILES
/etc/rc.local SEE ALSO
simpleinit(8), init(8) AUTHOR
Peter Orbaek (poe@daimi.aau.dk) AVAILABILITY
The ctrlaltdel command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Linux 1.2 25 October 1993 CTRLALTDEL(8)