Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users setting username and password for ftp Post 302098810 by div on Wednesday 6th of December 2006 11:55:33 PM
Old 12-07-2006
setting username and password for ftp

hi,

i have set up an FTP server in one of our systems. could some one tell me the procedure to set up the username and password for it to enable other users to access the server.

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

username password in script

Can we write a script to telnet to a unix server from unix with the username and password hardcoded in the script?? something like ssh a@b -p password ??? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: roshanjain2
5 Replies

2. Solaris

I want to hard code username and password for an FTP connection

Hi all i want to do FTP via running a shell script and i want to hard code username and password for that particular server.. by writing it in a file can u help me in this regard.. Thank u Naree (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Download username and password

I am trying to download from ftp server (rsync and postfix). But every time I connect to the ftp server, it prompts for USER and PASS but I don't know which username and and password to use. And I am using command based UNIX OS. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarrana
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

in ftp how to avoid username/password

hi all i am very new to unix. we had the below scenior test.bat file which contains ftp -s:logfiles.scr servername logfiles.scr contains username password cd path get file bye We had n number of batch(.bat files). which is having the same kind of scr file pointing... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nh1
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i hide username/password

hi all, i run sqlplus command on unix(HP-UX) like "sqlplus username/password@serverA @deneme.sql" but when someone run "ps -ef | grep sqlplus", it can see my username and password :( How can i hide username and password. thanx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: temhem
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP command line username and password passing

Dear All, I am new to unix and I am trying to build a shell script which will connect to a different server by passing username and password from a file or command line but not manually... In short I dont want to connect to a diff server via ftp interactively. Any suggestion...looking... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lost and Confused.. .How to connect.. Setting username and Pw

I am a new UNIX user. Meaning I have never used it before. So I have downloaded putty to use. Then on the configuration it says what? It says host name or IP address. Which hostname do I use. Its just me at home only using it. Can I use my website has a connection. If so how. Then where do I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xmtxm
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Username and password

Hi I am new to using unix and am struggling with a script i am writing. What i am trying to do is get a user to enter a username, check the original file i created with username and pin to see if their is a corresponding entry. Next ask the user to enter the pin and see if this matches... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: somersetdan
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you reset username/password

Picked up a 3b2 running System V. Works fine, but it requires a username and password. Is the username "root" or "sysadm"? How do I find out and how to I reset it or bypass it? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TanRuNomad
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i su automaticaly in same server with different username and same password?

Hi I am new to shell scripting, Can you please help me in writing a script that can switch user in same server with different user name and same password. I want to perform some functional task in a particular user and need to switch user and perform same activity in another user and so on ... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dew
4 Replies
ftphosts(4)							   File Formats 						       ftphosts(4)

NAME
ftphosts - FTP Server individual user host access file SYNOPSIS
/etc/ftpd/ftphosts DESCRIPTION
The ftphosts file is used to allow or deny access to accounts from specified hosts. The following access capabilities are supported: allow username addrglob [addrglob...] Only allow users to login as username from host(s) that match addrglob. deny username addrglob [addrglob...] Do not allow users to login as username from host(s) that match addrglob. A username of * matches all users. A username of anonymous or ftp specifies the anonymous user. addrglob is a regular expression that is matched against hostnames or IP addresses. addrglob may also be in the form address:netmask or address/CIDR, or be the name of a file that starts with a slash ('/') and contains additional address globs. An exclamation mark (`!') placed before the addrglob negates the test. The first allow or deny entry in the ftphosts file that matches a username and host is used. If no entry exists for a username, then access is allowed. Otherwise, a matching allow entry is required to permit access. EXAMPLES
You can use the following ftphosts file to allow anonymous access from any host except those on the class A network 10, with the exception of 10.0.0.* IP addresses, which are allowed access: allow ftp 10.0.0.* deny ftp 10.*.*.* allow ftp * 10.0.0.* can be written as 10.0.0.0:255.255.255.0 or 10.0.0.0/24. FILES
/etc/ftpd/ftphosts ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftphosts(4)