Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying files from laptop to remote server using SSH Post 302097068 by grial on Tuesday 21st of November 2006 10:54:21 AM
Old 11-21-2006
Helo.
This is the scenario: You are working on yout laptop which runs Windows with cygwin. Then, from your cygwin bash shell:
- Transfer file from your laptop to the UNIX server:
Have a look at this thread: https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=tar+ssh
- Tansfer files from the UNIX server to your laptop:
ssh user@unix_server tar cvf - /whatever | tar xvf -
have a look to ssh/tar manpages for more options.

Alternatively you could use either "sftp" or "scp" commands.

Regards.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

copying files to a remote aix server using tar!

Hi, I am using AIX 5.2, and I want to copy some files from one server to a remote server using tar command. Can anybody tell me exact command? Thanks. Aqeel (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: system-admin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files from a remote server to local system with cygwin

Hi. I'm sorry if I get on people's nerves asking this, but I don't really understand how to do this and unfortunately don't have the time to work through it step by step in books, etc. At University, we have a unix server that hosts our files. we each have a login and password to access it. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patwa
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files from remote computer

hi, i want to copy files from a remote computer in a network to a specific directory on my PC. ( script ) Forexample , IP of the remote PC is 172.16.5.24 login:aaaa Passw:123 /folder1/file1.txt to my pc folder /fd/awa.txt kinldy help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem setting up SSH keys between my laptop and a server.

This is probably somewhat trivial but it's driving me crazy. I have 6 servers with identical configurations. I'm trying to set up ssh keys between my laptop (windows XP using cygwin) and these servers (rhel). On 5 of the machines this works perfectly, but on one, no matter what I do, it gives me a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Long listing of files using find command on remote server via SSH

Hi , I am trying to find some files on a remote machine using the find command. >ssh -q atukuri@remotehostname find /home/atukuri/ -name abc.txt /home/atukuri/abc.txt The above command works fine and lists the file, but if I want to do a long listing of files (ls -l) its not working . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atukuri
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Copying files between two remote servers

Hi All, Please help me for a shell. I am a New to unix I am trying to DB dump file from one server and copying it to another server. From My Local ServerA connecting to remote ServerB using ssh and taking dump of a instance. That Dump file i need to copy to ServerC. I am able to connect... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddyd2k
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi server access through remote server using ssh

Team, Presently I have 5 ip address kept in ip_abc1 file, for each of the ip address listed, i need to login on each ipaddress one at a time and login as below for that specific ip address ssh -p 8101 karaf@<ip.address_for the specific ip address as logged in> password features:list... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script connect to remote server, not find files and exit only from remote server, but not from scrip

I have a script, which connecting to remote server and first checks, if the files are there by timestamp. If not I want the script exit without error. Below is a code TARFILE=${NAME}.tar TARGZFILE=${NAME}.tar.gz ssh ${DESTSERVNAME} 'cd /export/home/iciprod/download/let/monthly;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to remote server

I am trying to copy code to remote server, doing something like this However it is copying one file and than the script exits i=0; j=0 while read fn; do dir=${fn%/*} # Gets directory path fnm=${fn##*/} # Gets filename excl. path rgx_nwk="s/${nwk}/${nwk}.sac/g" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a text file from my Ubuntu Windows Sub System to a remote instance through SSH

*Following questions involves use of YAML, BASH, SSH and Software called Ansible* I am trying to learn how to use a Linux environment (in my case a Ubuntu Windows Sub System) to copy a text file from my files to a remote instance (in this case Amazon Web Services) by connecting via SSH. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suhaba
8 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine and append the indicated identity file to that machine's ~/.ssh/autho- rized_keys file. If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary.) NOTES
This program does not modify the permissions of any pre-existing files or directories. Therefore, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration, then the user's home, ~/.ssh folder, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file may need to have group writability disabled manu- ally, e.g. via chmod go-w ~ ~/.ssh ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine. SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)