Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to extract the PID from 'ps -ef' Post 302096863 by matrixmadhan on Monday 20th of November 2006 05:18:39 AM
Old 11-20-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepa
tr command should help you to squeeze characters.
Try tr -s option.
Am not sure, how would suppressing characters and that too which are repeated would prove to be helpful? Could you please explain that

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

printing ppid,child pid,pid

question: for the below program i just printed the value for pid, child pid and parent pid why does it give me 6 values? i assume ppid is 28086 but can't figure out why there are 5 values printed instead of just two! can someone comment on that! #include<stdio.h> #define DIM 8 int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pid=0

What OS does not use PID=0? is it FreeBSD? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmajin
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Session PID & socket connection pid

1. If I use an software application(which connects to the database in the server) in my local pc, how many PID should be registered? Would there be PID for the session and another PID for socket connection? 2. I noticed (through netstat) that when I logged in using the my software application,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcx26
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KILL PID, intern should kill another PID.

Hi All, In my project i have two process runs in the back end. Once i start my project, and execute the command ps, i get below output: PID TTY TIME CMD 9086 pts/1 0:00 ksh 9241 pts/1 0:02 java 9240 pts/1 0:00 shell_script_bg java with 9241 PID is the main... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pid

How can I put the process id of ,for example, the following script to the pid file? Maybe $$ must be defined in some place? daemon(){ while true; do if then echo "`date +"%H:%M:%S"`" >> $FILE ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PID value

name the process wit PID value 0? swapper or scheduler or both.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep to extract PID

Hi unix experts! I need help to solve the following problem: I'm getting the prstat info: stats=`prstat 0 1` #dont worry about how many processes are running I'm aware that no all processes will be listed without the -n (specify number) then I'm doing the following to extract the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaybhatt6
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to extract PID

Can anyone explain the below script which is used to extract the PID? Why they are taking from 10 character and getting the sub string? Note:variable pid has been assigned the PID value initially as below. pid=`sed 's@FILNAME@'$destFil'@g' $scriptname |sed 's@SRCFILE@'$sourceFil'@g' |sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bk_12345
2 Replies
TR(1)								   User Commands							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate or delete characters SYNOPSIS
tr [OPTION]... SET1 [SET2] DESCRIPTION
Translate, squeeze, and/or delete characters from standard input, writing to standard output. -c, -C, --complement first complement SET1 -d, --delete delete characters in SET1, do not translate -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is listed in SET1 with a single occurrence of that character -t, --truncate-set1 first truncate SET1 to length of SET2 --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SETs are specified as strings of characters. Most represent themselves. Interpreted sequences are: NNN character with octal value NNN (1 to 3 octal digits) \ backslash a audible BEL  backspace f form feed new line return horizontal tab v vertical tab CHAR1-CHAR2 all characters from CHAR1 to CHAR2 in ascending order [CHAR*] in SET2, copies of CHAR until length of SET1 [CHAR*REPEAT] REPEAT copies of CHAR, REPEAT octal if starting with 0 [:alnum:] all letters and digits [:alpha:] all letters [:blank:] all horizontal whitespace [:cntrl:] all control characters [:digit:] all digits [:graph:] all printable characters, not including space [:lower:] all lower case letters [:print:] all printable characters, including space [:punct:] all punctuation characters [:space:] all horizontal or vertical whitespace [:upper:] all upper case letters [:xdigit:] all hexadecimal digits [=CHAR=] all characters which are equivalent to CHAR Translation occurs if -d is not given and both SET1 and SET2 appear. -t may be used only when translating. SET2 is extended to length of SET1 by repeating its last character as necessary. Excess characters of SET2 are ignored. Only [:lower:] and [:upper:] are guaranteed to expand in ascending order; used in SET2 while translating, they may only be used in pairs to specify case conversion. -s uses SET1 if not translating nor deleting; else squeezing uses SET2 and occurs after translation or deletion. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report tr bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for tr is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and tr programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info coreutils 'tr invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 TR(1)