Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: solaris 10: add new svc
Operating Systems Solaris solaris 10: add new svc Post 302096460 by blowtorch on Wednesday 15th of November 2006 11:23:38 PM
Old 11-16-2006
solaris 10: add new svc

Hi guys,
I want to add a new 'service' to Solaris 10. Does anyone have any documentation that tells how to do that?

I have gone through a bunch of stuff on the net that tells how to enable, disable services, find whats wrong with a service and so on. All conveniently skip mention of how to actually add a new service of your own.

I checked the files in /var/svc/manifest, and I know that they are the xmls that are used by the svcadm and its ilk, but does adding a new 'service' mean writing one of those xml files yourself?

-edit
Don't like the word service - feels too Windowsy
-/edit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

how do you login as sms-svc on a system controller

hi, i have got a SUN F15K DOMAIN TAKING HARDWARE CONFIGURATION DUMP. DUMP FILE: -D/VA message i wnat to logon as sms-svc on to the controller to check what's happening can you please guide me how do i login as sms-svc on the controller and check thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sol_9 => Sol_10/08 Upgrade svc startup issue.

Dear all, Recently I did an upgrade from Solaris 9 to Solaris 10 on a V440 System, after the initial reboot after the auto-reboot from the OS upgrade, the service: svc:/system/webconsole:console transitions into maintenance and cannot be manually brought online. Below are a list of things I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShawnLua
0 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

SDD for SVC on HP-UX and LINUX

Hello Unix Admins: Has any one in this distribution list implemented SVC (SAN Volume Contoller - A solution from IBM) in your environment? If you have, do you have any do's / don'ts? Anything which you like sharing would be really appreciated. For example, my inputs: I tried implementing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdossjojo
1 Replies

4. Solaris

svc Errors on OS startup

I'm having these weird errors. svc.configd: Fatal error: Backend copy failed: fails to read from /etc/svc/repository.db at offset 106496: Bad file number svc.configd: Fatal error: unable to create "boot" backup of "/etc/svc/repository.db" Mar 10 13:04:23 svc.startd:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
5 Replies

5. Solaris

svc:/system/filesystem/local is always in maintenance status

Hello Friends, I need to change network filesystem status as online but it always seems in maintenance mode, I appreciate your any suggestion to change its state as online. shell>svcadm enable svc:/system/filesystem/local shell>svcs -l svc:/system/filesystem/local fmri ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
4 Replies

6. Solaris

svc:/network/physical:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed with exit status 96. [ n

After a memory upgrade all network interfaces are misconfigued. How do i resolve this issue. Below are some out puts.thanks. ifconfig: plumb: SIOCLIFADDIF: eg000g0:2: no such interface # ifconfig eg1000g0:2 plumb ifconfig: plumb: SIOCLIFADDIF: eg1000g0:2: no such interface # ifconfig... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andersonedouard
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Svc messages flooding the system logs every second

Hi all I have a newly installed Oracle X2-4 server running Solaris 10 x86 with the latest patches. I have one non-global zone configured running an Oracle DB instance. After configuring IPMP failover between two NICs on the server and rebooting I am seeing the /var/adm/messages being flooded... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Svc:/network/http:apache2 error

Dear All, http:apache2 service on my node is continuously in maintenance mode. I have tried to enable and disable the service but nothing works. root@ops # svcs -a | grep apache2 maintenance 15:46:37 svc:/network/http:apache2 When I reboot the system, I get the following error: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris ftp connects out svc disabled.

Hi, Running ftp online 2:53:02 svc:/network/ftp:default If I disable ftp disabled 2:54:00 svc:/network/ftp:default I can still SEND ftp files out. I cannot connect to this server via FTP, but why can I still connect to other ftp servers and send files? Cheers. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedWizard75
5 Replies

10. AIX

Change the ID of a SVC Node

Hi Folks, I'm currently in a position where I am building the seed equipment for a Data Centre Migration, I'm familiar with some of the equipment - all of which I've listed below. SAN Storage - EMC VNX5800 SAN Switches - Brocade DCX 8510-4 SAN Management - IBM SVC 2145-DH8 four node cluster... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
2 Replies
service_bundle(4)                                                  File Formats                                                  service_bundle(4)

NAME
service_bundle - service manifest file format SYNOPSIS
/usr/share/lib/xml/dtd/service_bundle.dtd.1 DESCRIPTION
The service management facility, described in smf(5), utilizes an XML-based file format to marshal the description of a set of services or service instances between systems. This file is known as a service bundle. The primary form of a service bundle is the inventory of ser- vices that are provided by a package, which is called a "service manifest". The DTD describing the service_bundle is provided at /usr/share/lib/xml/dtd/service_bundle.dtd.1. service_bundle documents can also use the XML Inclusions (XInclude) facility to merge multiple documents into one. A service_bundle document manipulator must therefore support the functionality defined by the XInclude specification. A complete service description consists of the following: o A set of properties that identify the service and identify its restarter o A set of properties that identify each instance o A set of framework property groups that describe the framework's understanding of each instance o A set of method property groups as required by svc.startd(1M), or by a delegated restarter o Additional optional method property groups o A set of dependency property groups o An optional group of properties that indicate services to which dependencies on the described service were added o A set of application property groups or application-specific typed property groups containing application configuration data o A template that describes supporting information about this service, such as a description and links to documentation. The document type definition for the service bundle provides markup to define each of these aspects of a service description, as well as a number of entities that identify regular features in describing a service, such as the <create_default_instance> tag. The attributes and tags are fully described in the commented DTD. The services supplied with the operating system, stored under /var/svc/manifest, provide examples of correctly formed service descriptions. Localization in the Template Element The description tags in the template element for a service are internationalizable. Service developers wishing to provided localized descriptions of their services can elect to deliver a set of loctext element in the description, like <common_name> <loctext xml:lang="C">extended accounting<loctext> <loctext xml:lang="fr_CA">...</loctext> <loctext xml:lang="ja">...</loctext> .... </common_name> Alternatively, service developers can choose to deliver multiple manifests in the naming scheme /var/svc/manifest/[category]/[service].[locale].xml which define only the localized template elements for that service. For instance /var/svc/manifest/system/accounting.ja.xml would contain, inside the template element, the following for the service's common name <common_name> <loctext xml:lang="ja">...</loctext> </common_name> Importing this file would create the service if not defined, or augment the existing template with the additional localized entries. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcadm(1M), svccfg(1M), svc.startd(1M), libscf(3LIB), attributes(5), locale(5), smf(5) NOTES
Nested service_bundle elements must be of the same type. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 service_bundle(4)