Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting expanding standard terminal size Post 302096220 by prkfriryce on Tuesday 14th of November 2006 12:04:33 PM
Old 11-14-2006
`find /* -name resize` did not return anything. I am running limited Solaris 9

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Standard Greeter font Size (RHEL 3)

In RHEL 3 is there a way to change the font size for the standard greeter text. Jeremy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: morphous
1 Replies

2. AIX

expanding the size of vg

Hi, I have created the lun of 15gb and assigned to aix,but now I want to expand the size of lun 15gb to 30gb, I am having following queries. 1)wheather i have to umount that partition on aix side before increasing the size of lun on storage side or directly I can increase directly size... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

standard error to standard out question

Hi there how can i get the result of a command to not give me its error. For example, on certain systems the 'zfs' command below is not available, but this is fine becaues I am testing against $? so i dont want to see the message " command not found" Ive tried outputting to /dev/null 2>&1 to no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

size of the terminal window

Hi, I am programming a script that shows a figure on screen but I would be centered, so What I have to use command to get the size of the window? Thanks a lot, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gengis-Kahn
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard output and standard error into spreadsheet

Hey, I'm completely new at this and I was wondering if there is a way that I would be able to redirect the log files in a directories standard output and standard error into and excel spreadsheet in anyway? Please remember don't use too advanced of terminology as I just started using shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: killaram
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

terminal size

Is there an easy command to know the size of a terminal window from a command line command? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resizing Terminal Size Upon Login?

Hello All, PC: CuBox-i OS: OpenSuSE 13.1 uname: Linux CuBox 3.14.14-cubox-i #1 SMP Sat Sep 13 03:48:24 UTC 2014 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux Shell: Bash So I was trying to see if there was a way to resize the terminal dynamically upon logging into a remote PC. How I login now is to use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Toggle between xterm window and standard terminal window

Is it possible to toggle back and forth between an xterm invoked from one tty, and a shell invoked from a different tty? I am running Centos 7 with KDE and booting in non-graphic mode. After logging in on the default window (/dev/tty1) , I can then use ALT-F2 to access a new window (/dev/tty2),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhgscty
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Cannot set 'soft limits' for 'maximum stack size' for a standard user

Hi Guys, I'm trying to install Oracle Database on to Oracle Linux 7.6 but when the database install package checks the OS set-up, it keeps on failing on the soft limits for the stack. It's default value is 8192 but I'm trying to set it to 10240. This is what I added to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
2 Replies
getlogin(3C)															      getlogin(3C)

NAME
getlogin(), getlogin_r() - get name of user logged in on this terminal SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The function retrieves the name of the user currently logged in on a terminal associated with the calling process, as found in user- accounting database maintained by utmpd(1M). At least one of the standard input, standard output, or standard error must be a terminal. For the first of these found that is a termi- nal, a user must have logged in on that terminal, and that terminal must be the controlling terminal of the session leader process of the calling process's session. The function can be used in conjunction with to locate the correct password file entry when the same user ID is shared by several login names. The recommended procedure to obtain the user name associated with the real user ID of the calling process is to call and if that fails, to call To get the user name associated with the effective user ID, call performs the same operations as but returns the login name in the buffer to which buf points, whose size in bytes should be passed in buflen. buf should have space for the name and the terminating null character. The maximum size of the login name can be obtained using the API with as the argument. APPLICATION USAGE
The return value from points to static data whose content is overwritten by each call. RETURN VALUE
Upon successfully finding and validating the login name of the user logged in on the terminal, returns a pointer to the name. Otherwise, it returns a null pointer, and sets to indicate the error. Upon successfully finding, validating, and copying to the buffer the login name of the user logged in on the terminal, returns 0 upon suc- cess and returns an error number upon failure. ERRORS
and fail if any of the following is true: [EACCES] Access permission to get the status of the terminal device file, was denied. [EMFILE] Too many file descriptors are in use by this process. [ENFILE] Too many file descriptors are in use on the system. [ENOENT] The terminal device file cannot be found. [ENOTTY] None of the standard input, standard output, or standard error is a terminal, or for the first of these that is a terminal, no current login is registered on that terminal, or the session leader process of the calling process has no controlling terminal. [EPERM] One of the standard input, standard output, or standard error is a terminal, and a current login was found on that terminal, but that terminal is not the same as the controlling terminal of the session of the calling process. [ESRCH] The session leader process of the calling process is no longer running. The error condition associated with [EPERM] prevents processes that have access to some other user's terminal from believing that they are related to that other user's login session. also fails if the following is true: [ERANGE] The length of the name to be returned, including the terminating null byte, exceeds buflen. WARNINGS
Users of should note now conforms with the POSIX.1c Threads standard. The old prototype of is supported for compatibility with existing DCE applications only. SEE ALSO
utmpd(1M), getuid(2), sysconf(2), getgrent(3C), getpwent(3C), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
getlogin(3C)