Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to determine the max file size Post 302094241 by dknight on Thursday 26th of October 2006 08:24:12 AM
Old 10-26-2006
How to determine the max file size

Does anyone know a way to determine the maximum filesize on a file system on Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Linux, and OSF1 using the command line?

TIA

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting max log file size...

Hello all! I have found a new home, this place is great! I have been searching for days to find a way to set a max size for a log.txt file using a cron job exicuting a shell script. Is it possible for a script to remove older entries in a log file to maintain a limited file size? If so,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: v-rod
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

determine the size of a file???

Hello, Can someone please tell me which command to use to determine the size of a file? When I log in to my shell account, I do this $>% ls -als total 632 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 user01 devgrp1 1558 Jul 30 23:25 .kshrc What is "1158"? Bytes? Kilobytes? I apologize if my... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
8 Replies

3. Programming

Max file size can't exceed 2 GB

We have Sun OS 5.9 we are doing a backup process (ProC program) that uses the function... fprintf(fp,"%s;%s;%s;%s;%s;%ld;%ld;%ld;%ld;%s;%s;%s;%d;%s;%s;%s;%ld;%s;%s;%s;%ld;%ld;%s;%ld;%s;%ld;%s;%s;%c%c",x_contrno, x_subno, x_b_subno,x_transdate,x_last_traffic_date,BillAmt_s, x_billamount_int,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
10 Replies

4. Solaris

max. size of file

I wants to ask that what is the max size of file that we can create in the unix file system. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameerghogre
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Max. file size

i want to know what is the maximum file size supported by linux with ext3 file system. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MAX file size limited to 2GB

Hi All, We are running HP rp7400 box with hpux 11iv1. Recently, we changed 3 kernel parameters a) msgseg from 32560 to 32767 b) msgmnb from 65536 to 65535 c) msgssz from 128 to 256 Then we noticed that all application debug file size increase upto 2GB then it stops. So far we did not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mhbd
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restrict Max file size

Hello All, I am working on an issue, where I need to check the max file size of a file. If the file size exceeds 2 GB, then I need to generate an error message. Since the file system does not allow a file to be created larger than 2 GB, I am planning to use named pipes & AWK file to acheive my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: puru2121
6 Replies

8. Programming

Perl : Inline program to determine file size

Hi, I have 5 files as below $ ll sam* -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Mar 21 06:06 sam3 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Apr 3 22:41 sam2 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 17335 Apr 10 06:07 sam1 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 5 Apr 10 07:53 sam5 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 661 Apr 10 08:16 sam4 I want to list out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to determine Date,TotalFile,total size of file based on date

I have file listed like below -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 26 14:43 test1.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 26 14:44 test2.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 27 10:41 test3.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 244K Nov 27 10:41 test4.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 27 10:41 test5.gz I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish2014
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Clamd max file size Solaris 10

Hi, I've compiled a 64-bit version of ClamAV 0.98.7 on my Solaris 10 SPARC server. I have a selection of files all containing the eicar signature but clamd is only picking up the signature in the files <2GB. I have the following set in clamd.conf, to remove file size checking: MaxScanSize 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Troutfest
4 Replies
re-preinstall(1M)					  System Administration Commands					 re-preinstall(1M)

NAME
re-preinstall - installs the JumpStart software on a system SYNOPSIS
cdrom-mnt-pt/Solaris_XX/Tools/Boot/usr/sbin/install.d/re-preinstall [-m Solaris_boot_dir] [-k platform_name] target-slice DESCRIPTION
re-preinstall installs the JumpStart software (preinstall boot image) on a system, so you can power-on the system and have it automatically install the Solaris software (perform a JumpStart installation on the system). When you turn on a re-preinstalled system, the system looks for the JumpStart software on the system's default boot disk. All new SPARC systems have the JumpStart software already preinstalled. The XX in Solaris_XX is the version number of the Solaris release being used. You can use the re-preinstall command in several ways. The most common way is to run re-preinstall on a system to install the JumpStart software on its own default boot disk. This is useful if you want to restore a system to its original factory conditions. (See the first procedure described in EXAMPLES.) You can also run re-preinstall on a system to install JumpStart software on any attached disk (non-boot disk). After you install the Jump- Start software on a disk, you can move the disk to a different system and perform a JumpStart installation on the different system. (See the second procedure described in EXAMPLES.) re-preinstall creates a standard file system on the specified target-slice (usually slice 0), and re-preinstall makes sure there is enough space on the target-slice for the JumpStart software. If sufficient space is not available, re-preinstall fails with the following message: re-preinstall: target-slice too small xx Megabytes required You can use the format(1M) command to create sufficient space on the target-slice for the JumpStart software. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -k platform_name Platform name of the system that will use the disk with the JumpStart software. The default is the platform name of the system running re-preinstall. (Use the uname(1) command (-i option) to determine a system's platform name.) -m Solaris_boot_dir Absolute path to the Solaris_XX/Tools/Boot subdirectory of a mounted Solaris CD or a Solaris CD copied to disk that re-preinstall uses to install the JumpStart software. The default is root (/), which is where the Solaris CD is mounted in single-user mode. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: target-slice Device name of the disk slice where the JumpStart software will be installed (usually slice 0), for example, c0t3d0s0. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Installing the JumpStart Software on a System's Own Default Boot Disk The following procedure installs the JumpStart software on a system's own default boot disk: 1. From the ok prompt, boot the system from the Solaris media CD or DVD in single-user mode: ok boot cdrom -s 2. The following command installs the Jumpstart software on the System default boot disk, c0t0d0s0 on a Solaris 9 system: example# /usr/sbin/install.d/re-preinstall c0t0d0s1 3. Reboot the slice: example# reboot disk:b Example 2: Installing the JumpStart Software on a System's Attached (non-boot) Disk The following procedure installs the JumpStart software on a system's attached (non-boot) disk: 1. Mount the Solaris CD or DVD if vold(1M) is not running or CD or DVD is not mounted. 2. Use the format(1M) command to determine the target-slice where JumpStart will be installed. 3. Use the uname(1) command (-i option) to determine the platform name of the system that will use the re-preinstalled disk 4. Run re-preinstall with the -m Solaris_boot_dir option if the Solaris CD or DVD is not mounted on /cdrom. The following command installs the JumpStart software on the system's attached disk for a system with a Sun4u kernel architecture, and it uses the Solaris CD or DVD mounted with vold(1M) on a Solaris 9 system: example# /cdrom/cdrom/s1/usr/bin/install.d/re-preinstall -m /cdrom/cdrom/s1 -k sun4u c0t2d0s0 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris CD, | | |SPARC Platform Edition) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
uname(1), eeprom(1M), format(1M), mount(1M), vold(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations SunOS 5.10 9 Apr 2002 re-preinstall(1M)