Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with scritp to count an specific word into a log Post 302093713 by vish_indian on Monday 23rd of October 2006 03:15:00 AM
Old 10-23-2006
Firstly, you don't need to use cat and wc -l while searching. You can simply use
Code:
 grep -c 'word'  logfile

For searching from a particular line number onwards, you can save the line number in a variable and pass it to gawk or nawk:
Code:
 awk -v num=${saved_line_no} -v word=${word} 'NR>num && $0~word{ count++} END{ print count}' logfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurences of a specific word in a file in bash shell

Hello, I want to count the occurences of a specific word in a .txt file in bash shell. Can somebody help me pleaze?? Thanks!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskart
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word count of lines ending with certain word

Hi all, I am trying to write a command that can help me count the number of lines in the /etc/passwd file ending in bash. I have read through other threads but am yet to find one indicating how to locate a specifc word at the end of a line. I know i will need to use the wc command but when i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract portion of log info based on specific word

Hi Gurus, I'm using HP-UX B.11.23 operating system. I've been trying to extract a specific wording for example: "A tool used by tp produced warnings" from my below log data, but could not find a way to solve it. My intention is, if the log contain the word: "A tool used by tp produced... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to count specific word and iterate over number of files.

Hi Experts, I want to know the count of specific word in a file. I have almost 600+ files. So I want to loop thru each file and get the count of the specific word. Please help me on achieving this... Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count specific word or character per line

Hi, I need help regarding counting specific word or character per line and validate it against a specific number i.e 10. And if number of character equals the specific number then that line will be part of the output. Specific number = 6 Specific word or char = || Sample data:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janzper
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print line starts with specific word and contains specific word using sed?

Hi, I have gone through may posts and dint find exact solution for my requirement. I have file which consists below data and same file have lot of other data. <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='YES' NAME='m_TASK_UPDATE' OBJECTVERSION ='1'> <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='NO'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I count how many times a specific word appear in a file (ksh)?

Hi Please can you help how do I count the number of specific characters or words that appear in a file? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a specific word and print only the word from the input file

Hi, I have a sample file as shown below, I am looking for sed or any command which prints the complete word only from the input file. Ex: $ cat "sample.log" I am searching for a word which is present in this file We can do a pattern search using grep but I need to cut only the word which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to check word count of each word in file

I am trying to figure out to find word count of each word from my file sample file hi how are you hi are you ok sample out put hi 1 how 1 are 1 you 1 hi 1 are 1 you 1 ok 1 wc -l filename is not helping , i think we will have to split the lines and count and then print and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to detect specific string in a log file and count it

Hello, can someone guide me on this? I don't know what is the best approach, (awk script, shell script) I am using RedHat Linux version 6.5. There is a third party application deployed on that server. This app by default generates 5 log files and each file is 20MB. These log rollover... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktisbest
5 Replies
GIT-GREP(1)							    Git Manual							       GIT-GREP(1)

NAME
git-grep - Print lines matching a pattern SYNOPSIS
git grep [-a | --text] [-I] [-i | --ignore-case] [-w | --word-regexp] [-v | --invert-match] [-h|-H] [--full-name] [-E | --extended-regexp] [-G | --basic-regexp] [-F | --fixed-strings] [-n] [-l | --files-with-matches] [-L | --files-without-match] [-z | --null] [-c | --count] [--all-match] [-q | --quiet] [--max-depth <depth>] [--color[=<when>] | --no-color] [-A <post-context>] [-B <pre-context>] [-C <context>] [-f <file>] [-e] <pattern> [--and|--or|--not|(|)|-e <pattern>...] [--cached | --no-index | <tree>...] [--] [<pathspec>...] DESCRIPTION
Look for specified patterns in the tracked files in the work tree, blobs registered in the index file, or blobs in given tree objects. OPTIONS
--cached Instead of searching tracked files in the working tree, search blobs registered in the index file. --no-index Search files in the current directory, not just those tracked by git. -a, --text Process binary files as if they were text. -i, --ignore-case Ignore case differences between the patterns and the files. -I Don't match the pattern in binary files. --max-depth <depth> For each <pathspec> given on command line, descend at most <depth> levels of directories. A negative value means no limit. -w, --word-regexp Match the pattern only at word boundary (either begin at the beginning of a line, or preceded by a non-word character; end at the end of a line or followed by a non-word character). -v, --invert-match Select non-matching lines. -h, -H By default, the command shows the filename for each match. -h option is used to suppress this output. -H is there for completeness and does not do anything except it overrides -h given earlier on the command line. --full-name When run from a subdirectory, the command usually outputs paths relative to the current directory. This option forces paths to be output relative to the project top directory. -E, --extended-regexp, -G, --basic-regexp Use POSIX extended/basic regexp for patterns. Default is to use basic regexp. -F, --fixed-strings Use fixed strings for patterns (don't interpret pattern as a regex). -n Prefix the line number to matching lines. -l, --files-with-matches, --name-only, -L, --files-without-match Instead of showing every matched line, show only the names of files that contain (or do not contain) matches. For better compatibility with git diff, --name-only is a synonym for --files-with-matches. -z, --null Output instead of the character that normally follows a file name. -c, --count Instead of showing every matched line, show the number of lines that match. --color[=<when>] Show colored matches. The value must be always (the default), never, or auto. --no-color Turn off match highlighting, even when the configuration file gives the default to color output. Same as --color=never. -[ABC] <context> Show context trailing (A -- after), or leading (B -- before), or both (C -- context) lines, and place a line containing -- between contiguous groups of matches. -<num> A shortcut for specifying -C<num>. -p, --show-function Show the preceding line that contains the function name of the match, unless the matching line is a function name itself. The name is determined in the same way as git diff works out patch hunk headers (see Defining a custom hunk-header in gitattributes(5)). -f <file> Read patterns from <file>, one per line. -e The next parameter is the pattern. This option has to be used for patterns starting with - and should be used in scripts passing user input to grep. Multiple patterns are combined by or. --and, --or, --not, ( ... ) Specify how multiple patterns are combined using Boolean expressions. --or is the default operator. --and has higher precedence than --or. -e has to be used for all patterns. --all-match When giving multiple pattern expressions combined with --or, this flag is specified to limit the match to files that have lines to match all of them. -q, --quiet Do not output matched lines; instead, exit with status 0 when there is a match and with non-zero status when there isn't. <tree>... Instead of searching tracked files in the working tree, search blobs in the given trees. -- Signals the end of options; the rest of the parameters are <pathspec> limiters. <pathspec>... If given, limit the search to paths matching at least one pattern. Both leading paths match and glob(7) patterns are supported. EXAMPLES
git grep time_t -- *.[ch] Looks for time_t in all tracked .c and .h files in the working directory and its subdirectories. git grep -e '#define' --and ( -e MAX_PATH -e PATH_MAX ) Looks for a line that has #define and either MAX_PATH or PATH_MAX. git grep --all-match -e NODE -e Unexpected Looks for a line that has NODE or Unexpected in files that have lines that match both. AUTHOR
Originally written by Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org[1]>, later revamped by Junio C Hamano. DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[2]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. torvalds@osdl.org mailto:torvalds@osdl.org 2. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-GREP(1)