Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Edit Crontab
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Edit Crontab Post 302091036 by safraser on Thursday 28th of September 2006 02:42:06 PM
Old 09-28-2006
Search this site for "vi tutorial" and you will find a link to a README that includes tutorials for lots of unix stuff, including a couple specifically for vi.

As I mentioned, I am on Solaris. Perhaps you are on a different OS which would require a different syntax for setting the editor.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crontab - Recommended way to edit?

What is the best way to modify the crontab file?? Edit the file and then use crontab 'filename' ??? I do not know how to use pico editor - so I cannot modify it this way, Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't edit crontab

I saw a post on here a while back describing how to edit a crontab file when I'm not able to edit it via crontab -e. Currently, if I try to do a crontab -e, it just comes back with: # crontab -e 7987 <and then it just hangs there FOREVER> If I do a crontab -l, it shows me all of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit crontab without -e

hi i need to change crontab settings as minute,hour,day of month,month year,day of week certain times. for that i need to go as crontab -e. i want to avoid that as its creating many problems in mysystem. so here i m planning/trying to write a script that will update the settings in crontab... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_swapneel14
8 Replies

4. Solaris

Different edit crontab at Solaris..?

Hi.. At linux I can edit crontab with command $crontab -e BUT I don't know to edit crontab at Solaris because I tried with command $crontab -e I can't do that Can you help me...? Thanks for solution regards, srilinux (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilinux
25 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit the crontab file

Hi All, There are some cron jobs scheduled already by someone, now I have to make some changes to the schedule timings. Please advise me. thanks, Raju (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajus19
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed to edit my crontab

Hi, I am new to Unix. I have written a script in Unix. I wanted to schedule this script in cronjobs which has to be run daily at 10AM. Already i have some cron jobs running on my unix server. In addition to these I have to edit the crontab. I know I have to execute the command "crontab -e" to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheethal
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we edit crontab using a shell script

Hi, Can some one tell me if we can configure the jobs in crontab using a shell script. I know it can be done easily by using "crontab -e", but i just want to know whether we can add a job into the crontab using a shell script. If it can be done, plz suggest the procedure to do it. If it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudrarajumk
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error when trying to edit crontab

Hi Guys, I need to edit the crontab on one of my unix systems. When I execute crontab -e, nothing happens, then I get an error '666' and can't type anything else at the cli. I tried resizing the window, but still got the same error. I'm using the run user and I've checked the permissions on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to edit crontab file

Hi, I have a solaris 10 box. And I want to schedule a cronjob.But it gives the following error bash-3.2$ crontab -l crontab: can't open your crontab file. bash-3.2$ EDITOR=vi bash-3.2$ export EDITOR bash-3.2$ crontab -e crontab: can't open your crontab file. I checked in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't edit my Crontab

Hi, I m setting up my crontab for the very first time. I m a non-root user and this is linux $ export EDITOR=vi $ crontab -e no crontab for user1 - using an empty one crontab: installing new crontab "/tmp/crontab.uW0JNx":1: bad command errors in crontab file, can't install. Do you want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
adb(1)                                                             User Commands                                                            adb(1)

NAME
adb - general-purpose debugger SYNOPSIS
adb [-kw] [-I dir] [-P prompt] [-V mode] [ object [ core]] DESCRIPTION
The adb utility is an interactive, general-purpose debugger. It can be used to examine files and provides a controlled environment for the execution of programs. The adb utility is now implemented as a link to the mdb(1) utility in Solaris 9. mdb(1) is a low-level debugging utility that can be used to examine user processes as well as the live operating system or operating system crash dumps. The new mdb(1) utility provides complete backwards compatibility with the existing syntax and features of adb, including support for processing adb macro files. The Solaris Modular Debugger Guide and mdb(1) man page describes the features of mdb, including its adb compatibility mode. This mode will be activated by default when the adb link is executed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdb | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdb(1), attributes(5) Solaris Modular Debugger Guide SunOS 5.10 19 Aug 2003 adb(1)