Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Edit Crontab
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Edit Crontab Post 302090893 by Andrek on Thursday 28th of September 2006 12:16:18 AM
Old 09-28-2006
Looks like you do not have a crontab file set up or its corrupted.
try crontab -l to list the crontab file...
Still nothing...

use the crontab -e to start your new crontab file
enter the commands then save it.

3:00am each day would be
00 3 * * * /my/script/to/run > /dev/null 2>&1
do a man on crontab or cron for info

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crontab - Recommended way to edit?

What is the best way to modify the crontab file?? Edit the file and then use crontab 'filename' ??? I do not know how to use pico editor - so I cannot modify it this way, Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't edit crontab

I saw a post on here a while back describing how to edit a crontab file when I'm not able to edit it via crontab -e. Currently, if I try to do a crontab -e, it just comes back with: # crontab -e 7987 <and then it just hangs there FOREVER> If I do a crontab -l, it shows me all of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit crontab without -e

hi i need to change crontab settings as minute,hour,day of month,month year,day of week certain times. for that i need to go as crontab -e. i want to avoid that as its creating many problems in mysystem. so here i m planning/trying to write a script that will update the settings in crontab... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_swapneel14
8 Replies

4. Solaris

Different edit crontab at Solaris..?

Hi.. At linux I can edit crontab with command $crontab -e BUT I don't know to edit crontab at Solaris because I tried with command $crontab -e I can't do that Can you help me...? Thanks for solution regards, srilinux (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilinux
25 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit the crontab file

Hi All, There are some cron jobs scheduled already by someone, now I have to make some changes to the schedule timings. Please advise me. thanks, Raju (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajus19
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed to edit my crontab

Hi, I am new to Unix. I have written a script in Unix. I wanted to schedule this script in cronjobs which has to be run daily at 10AM. Already i have some cron jobs running on my unix server. In addition to these I have to edit the crontab. I know I have to execute the command "crontab -e" to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheethal
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we edit crontab using a shell script

Hi, Can some one tell me if we can configure the jobs in crontab using a shell script. I know it can be done easily by using "crontab -e", but i just want to know whether we can add a job into the crontab using a shell script. If it can be done, plz suggest the procedure to do it. If it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudrarajumk
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error when trying to edit crontab

Hi Guys, I need to edit the crontab on one of my unix systems. When I execute crontab -e, nothing happens, then I get an error '666' and can't type anything else at the cli. I tried resizing the window, but still got the same error. I'm using the run user and I've checked the permissions on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to edit crontab file

Hi, I have a solaris 10 box. And I want to schedule a cronjob.But it gives the following error bash-3.2$ crontab -l crontab: can't open your crontab file. bash-3.2$ EDITOR=vi bash-3.2$ export EDITOR bash-3.2$ crontab -e crontab: can't open your crontab file. I checked in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't edit my Crontab

Hi, I m setting up my crontab for the very first time. I m a non-root user and this is linux $ export EDITOR=vi $ crontab -e no crontab for user1 - using an empty one crontab: installing new crontab "/tmp/crontab.uW0JNx":1: bad command errors in crontab file, can't install. Do you want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
bcrontab(1)						      General Commands Manual						       bcrontab(1)

NAME
bcrontab - Manage users crontab files SYNOPSIS
bcrontab [ -u user ] file bcrontab [ -u user ] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
bcrontab interfaces with the bcron-spool daemon to manage crontab files in the privileged spool directory. OPTIONS
-u user Tell bcron-spool that we are acting on behalf of the named user. bcron-spool will only accept the username if bcrontab is running as either root or the same user ID as the named user. -l List the cronab crontab to standard output. -r Remove the user's crontab. -e Edit the current crontab. ENVIRONMENT
VISUAL If this is set, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. EDITOR If $VISUAL is not set and this is, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. If neither are set, /bin/vi is used. BCRON_SOCKET The path to the named socket used to communicate with bcron-spool. Defaults to /var/run/bcron-spool. LOGNAME USER These two variables are used, in order, to determine the user name invoking the program. One must be set if the -u option is not used. FILES
bcrontab tries to writes a temporary file into the current directory, and then into /tmp if that fails, in order to edit the current crontab. SEE ALSO
bcron-spool(8), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Bruce Guenter <bruceg@em.ca> bcrontab(1)