Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting trnsmiting thousands ftp files and get an error message Post 302090881 by reborg on Wednesday 27th of September 2006 09:58:46 PM
Old 09-27-2006
or do it on the fly with

put "| tar cf - ." filename.tar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppres error message when moving files from empty source folder

Hi, I would like to write a shell script that moves files from one folder to another without retrieving the error 'can not acces/find file or folder' when the source folder is empty. Any ideas, Thx in advance, Steven. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steven
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a specific pattern from thousands of files ????

Hi All, I want to find a specific pattern from approximately 400000 files on solaris platform. Its very heavy for me to grep that pattern to each file individually. Can anybody suggest me some way to search for specific pattern (alpha numeric) from these forty thousand files. Please note that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare two files if doesnt match then display error message

hi , i have one file ,i need to search particular word from this file and if content is matched then echo MATCHED else NOT MATCHED file contains : mr x planned to score 75% in exam but end up with 74%. word to be searched id 75% please help me out . waiting for reply thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atl@mav
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copying Thousands of Tiny or Empty Files?

There is a procedure I do here at work where I have to synchronize file systems. The source file system always has three or four directories of hundreds of thousands of tiny (1k or smaller) or empty files. Whenever my rsync command reaches these directories, I'm waiting for hours for those files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help to parallelize work on thousands of files

I need to find a smarter way to process about 60,000 files in a single directory. Every night a script runs on each file generating a output on another directory; this used to take 5 hours, but as the data grows it is taking 7 hours. The files are of different sizes, but there are 16 cores... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vhope07
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate mean in AWK? line by line several files, thousands of lines

I'm kinda stuck on this one, I have 7 files with 30.000 lines/file like this 050 0.023 0.504336 050 0.024 0.529521 050 0.025 0.538908 050 0.026 0.537035 I want to find the mean line by line of the third column from the files named like this: Stat-f-1.dat .... Stat-f-7.dat Stat-s-1.dat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AriasFco
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Error Message

Hello All I have below code snippet /usr/bin/ftp -niv $ftphost 1>&2 >> $upload_log <<EndFtp quote user $ftp_user quote pass $ftp_pass cd $ftp_dir put $upload_file When i pass a wrong ftphost as a paramater, output is "ftp: abc.net: Name or service not known". (abc.net is the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for patterns in thousands of files

Hi All, I want to search for a certain string in thousands of files and these files are distributed over different directories created daily. For that I created a small script in bash but while running it I am getting the below error: /ms.sh: xrealloc: subst.c:5173: cannot allocate... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ftp files error

Hi Guys, I am trying to copy files using FTP but I get this error: Arguments to long... I read that I can copy files in batches...How can I copy those files in batches? I am currently using mget A*.csv B*.csv C*.csv, etc up to a certain letter then when its done i will continue. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash-awk to process thousands of files

Hi to all, I have thousand of files in a folder with names with format "FILE-YYYY-MM-DD-HHMM" for what I want to send the following AWK command awk '/Code.*/' FILE-2014* I'd like to separate all files that have the same date to a folder named with the corresponding date. For example, if I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
7 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)